Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Soldato
Lol your name :D
Anyway stick with your SH1 for now. If you can get 150Mbps on it just stick with it. SH3 causes increased latency. I mean the SH3 is fine for through put but increases latency so anything latency dependant will fall like gaming.

I had my name before a certain intel chipset lol ;)

Some are saying the Hub 3 works fine in modem mode, as a gamer I'm probably better off sticking with my current setup but what to do with the superhub 3, do I ship it back to VM with my old TiVo?

Soldato
I had my name before a certain intel chipset lol ;)

Some are saying the Hub 3 works fine in modem mode, as a gamer I'm probably better off sticking with my current setup but what to do with the superhub 3, do I ship it back to VM with my old TiVo?
Intel like your name :) TBH mate id keep it because they are trying to work on fixing the issue with a firmware update. Though its been long in waiting for the fix. I don't have experience with SH3 in Modem mode but im sure ive seen other people still experiencing issues in modem mode because the puma chip still exhibits same issue in modem mode as its the SOC processing the packets.

Soldato
Well, since my VIVID200 service started in March I've had a pretty consistent service bar the latency irritation (Area 07, Bristol)

Sadly bandwidth also went off a cliff yesterday and now I can barely hit a peak of 0.1Mb/s upload and ~9Mb/s down

They recently daisy chained some more cabinets along my road, so I'm wondering if the contention ratio has now gone out of the window

Why can't one of the providers realise that a USP that focus' on stability and latency would eventually pay dividends, rather than just chasing the biggest peak download rates?

FTTP hurry up!

Soldato
looking to get virgin in my new place (have trusted dean0!)

wanted to ask about powerlines with superhub3, is there any that dont function properly or ones to avoid? Just looking to get internet to the living room (from upstairs bedroom), seen a few with "wifi clone" and people saying it doesn't work with their router (but no mention of the router used..)

So any help would be lovely! I think im after just a simple set up, router > powerline > powerline (+wifi) > 5port switch.

Soldato
looking to get virgin in my new place (have trusted dean0!)

wanted to ask about powerlines with superhub3, is there any that dont function properly or ones to avoid? Just looking to get internet to the living room (from upstairs bedroom), seen a few with "wifi clone" and people saying it doesn't work with their router (but no mention of the router used..)

So any help would be lovely! I think im after just a simple set up, router > powerline > powerline (+wifi) > 5port switch.
We have had the Virgin superhub2 for 2 years and it has worked very well with powerlines, more recently I installed TP Link AV1200 wifi and the wifi speeds were excellent.
Yesterday I installed the Virgin Superhub3 kit, what a shock I got. The download speeds dropped from 50-80Mbps in our lounge to less than 1Mbps! I spent most of the day trying to sort this out following some posts on forums. This included resetting the adapters to factory defaults with no benefit.
In the end I contacted VM who initially denied that I could roll back to the Hub2 but eventually someone said to try it and it worked, the Hub3 is packaged for return.

I wish I could tell exactly which component was at fault. The wifi from the Hub3 was better than from the Hub2 which is to be expected but not nearly as good as using the powerlines. I could have tried putting the Hub3 into modem mode and attaching my Asus RT-N56U but I couldn't find the power cable!

Soldato
I am highly skeptical of the Superhub being the cause of slow powerlines.
Well, it worked perfectly on Sunday with the superhub2 and failed miserably yesterday when connected to the superhub3. Now the superhub2 is reconnected the powerline network is working as before.

Soldato
It isn't the first time there have been weird incompatibilities with the SH3. IIRC, the first beta group found that it simply would not work with Asus routers until there was a firmware update to fix the issue. Also the "flapping" issue that was caused by incompatibility with the motorola UBRs on the WAN side.

Soldato
Been on the VIVID 200 Gamer package now for a few months with the SH3 and am really happy with it so far. I've been able to stream to Twitch for long periods of time while playing online games and have had no problems with it at all. It would be nice if they upgraded the download speed of the gamer package to 300Mb/sec though seeing as I am paying a premium for this package.

Soldato
Been on the VIVID 200 Gamer package now for a few months with the SH3 and am really happy with it so far. I've been able to stream to Twitch for long periods of time while playing online games and have had no problems with it at all. It would be nice if they upgraded the download speed of the gamer package to 300Mb/sec though seeing as I am paying a premium for this package.
The premium is for the 20Mbps upload and no traffic managment on that upload!

Want 300Mbps, get the package.

Soldato
The premium is for the 20Mbps upload and no traffic managment on that upload!

Want 300Mbps, get the package.

True but I'd be happy to pay even more for 300Mb/sec with all the advantages that the VIVID 200 Gamer package has. The problem with upgrading to the 300 package is that you lose the "no traffic management on upload" feature which is a problem when it comes to streaming. So yeah Virgin release a VIVID 300 Gamer package so I can upgrade :).

Soldato
True but I'd be happy to pay even more for 300Mb/sec with all the advantages that the VIVID 200 Gamer package has. The problem with upgrading to the 300 package is that you lose the "no traffic management on upload" feature which is a problem when it comes to streaming. So yeah Virgin release a VIVID 300 Gamer package so I can upgrade :).
wrong

the 300 package as no traffic management on upload..

Traffic Management doesn't apply to VIVID 200 Gamer or VIVID 300.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system...gin-Media-broadband-traffic-management-policy
i'm on the 300Mb

Last edited:
Associate
Should hopefully get vivid 300 by the end of they year, I've always been unlucky living in a non fibre area, Virgin are doing the dig!.

Finally get to throw this 56k modem away and replace my AOL account. :D

Back
Top Bottom