Pro Cycling Discussion 2017

Soldato
Brutal finish that. Still tiny margins. I wouldn't be surprised if bardet doesn't get penalised for that bottle. Made it bit more interesting for yellow but aru needs to take some big time before tt. And landa, nieve barely looked stretched so can expect they've got some left in their legs

Soldato
Brutal finish that. Still tiny margins. I wouldn't be surprised if bardet doesn't get penalised for that bottle. Made it bit more interesting for yellow but aru needs to take some big time before tt. And landa, nieve barely looked stretched so can expect they've got some left in their legs

Giro-esq with the ITT on the penultimate stage - Aru & Bardet both lost about 40 seconds to Frome on Stage 1 (which was about 7km shorter). Does Frome try to mark (or minimise any further loss) Aru and Bardet until then (like Dumoulin)?

Would love to see a big attack like stage 15 of the Vuelta last year when Sky got mugged, but this time Sky to try to return the suffering (just to see something different from them!).

Soldato
destoyed by fat fingers and predictive text!

HAHA, I got most of it but couldn't work out the last bit :D

Giro-esq with the ITT on the penultimate stage - Aru & Bardet both lost about 40 seconds to Frome on Stage 1 (which was about 7km shorter). Does Frome try to mark (or minimise any further loss) Aru and Bardet until then (like Dumoulin)?

Would love to see a big attack like stage 15 of the Vuelta last year when Sky got mugged, but this time Sky to try to return the suffering (just to see something different from them!).

I don't think Froome will rest on his laurels and if he has the opportunity to attack and gain time he will do. AG2R looked surprisingly strong all the way through the stage to the last climb, but will be interesting to see how they have recovered today. Astana losing Cataldo and looks like Fuglsang will be struggling for the rest of it with those fractures mean Aru is the man who has no support.

Dan Martin really impressed me yesterday, those are the days in the past where he has fallen off on the last climb. Hopefully him and Yates both in for a shot at the podium whern the longer climbs come in the alps.

Associate
Great finish yesterday. It's now set up nicely for today.

It'll be interesting to see how the Astana team fare considering they're weakened. Will Sky help them to control things or leave them to it?
Dan Martin really impressed me yesterday, those are the days in the past where he has fallen off on the last climb.
And me, especially as he must still be recovering after the Porte crash. It looked like a Liege finish at the end and I thought it would really suit him.

Caporegime
What a finish that was. Shaken things up nicely and I hope it means Froome will go on the attack - it's quite a thing to just mark his opponents and hope he has a good TT. Very easy to just push it and wipe out and then its race over, I think he'd much rather go into that TT in yellow and just consolidate.

Associate
What a finish that was. Shaken things up nicely and I hope it means Froome will go on the attack - it's quite a thing to just mark his opponents and hope he has a good TT. Very easy to just push it and wipe out and then its race over, I think he'd much rather go into that TT in yellow and just consolidate.
I agree but he didn't look great at the end yesterday, beaten by six other contenders is not Froome-like. He'll go down fighting though so it'll make a good finish to the Tour. It seems to be wide open!

Soldato
That last assent looked brutal. Didnt expect to see someone take the yellow jersey off Sky, livens up the battle for the GC a bit!
Exactly that, although Sky proving how strong they are I have in the back of my mind that they may have wanted to lose the jersey to relieve some pressure?

Sky should've let Landa go for the stage earlier, I think he would've had it! Froome hardly did any work yet seemed cooked (bad day), Nieve & Landa where both on a good one! Uran I think is the one who may sneak it, they seem very aware of Bardet and Aru.

I think Sky will just try to gradually crack the others over several stages rather than a huge attack. Think the stage proved that - they have the team able to apply constant pressure to others over any climbs, so it'll be an accumilation even if Froome doesn't have the legs for a big stage win. I think Froome will have the TT as a 'backup', almost a get out of jail free card in case he needs it.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-reverses-time-penalties-for-uran-and-bennett-1/

Sensible decision for once, although it's more not to penalise Bardet than letting those guys off.

It's exactly that. Typical French!

Yup. Typical! Although I say that I'm still glad for the Bardet win, think he deserved it. The UCI are as corrupt as FIFA and utterly French biased. Like not penalising Demare for clashing wheels and erratic sprinting, yet Sagan getting DQ'd for a less erratic move (which just happened to put Cav on the floor). No mention of them reversing the penalty for Pauwels who also fed/drank and was penalised?

Soldato
Yup. Typical! Although I say that I'm still glad for the Bardet win, think he deserved it. The UCI are as corrupt as FIFA and utterly French biased. Like not penalising Demare for clashing wheels and erratic sprinting, yet Sagan getting DQ'd for a less erratic move (which just happened to put Cav on the floor). No mention of them reversing the penalty for Pauwels who also fed/drank and was penalised?

I think it's individual Commissaires that are biased rather than corrupt.

Soldato
I'm trying not to come back to this thread as I don't want spoilers until I get a chance to watch it (probably highlights tomorrow morning)! :D :p

Although it was a random facebook post which ruined yesterdays result, whoever mentioned the loss of yellow in here thankfully omitted the details! ;)

Stage #12 - Bardet ride (power data removed), George Bennett (power data present).

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm trying not to come back to this thread as I don't want spoilers until I get a chance to watch it (probably highlights tomorrow morning)! :D :p

Although it was a random facebook post which ruined yesterdays result, whoever mentioned the loss of yellow in here thankfully omitted the details! ;)

Stage #12 - Bardet ride (power data removed), George Bennett (power data present).

I had it ruined by British Cycling email! So frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom