**** The Official Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Thread ****

Soldato
It's Swift Dark for Substratum. On the play store.

Cheers. Installed, applied. When it goes through installing everything and you have to get permission, I get a couple that refuse to install because they already exist and stuff like WhatsApp won't theme either. I've no idea what I'm doing, so I fully accept it's probably my fault. I need to do some reading, but at the moment it doesn't look great. I've still got a white keyboard, for example.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Okay....first Day with s8+ keep getting notifications sounds but nothing is on the screen...no notifications...drives me mad....any idea why ?
Plz help

There must be an app you have causing it. Messaging app for example with background notifications for group chats etc.

Cheers. Installed, applied. When it goes through installing everything and you have to get permission, I get a couple that refuse to install because they already exist and stuff like WhatsApp won't theme either. I've no idea what I'm doing, so I fully accept it's probably my fault. I need to do some reading, but at the moment it doesn't look great. I've still got a white keyboard, for example.

You probably have a few beta apps that can't be themed (beta apps are not supported), and also you may be trying to apply "Android System" at the top, which also can't be themed.

This is all that I am theming with Swift Dark:

https://i.imgur.com/h4OnjvC.jpg

Make note that some apps you must select the correct version you are on if you choose to theme them, like WhatsApp. I don't theme those though.

You also must reboot after installing any theme in order to see the changes. The same goes for updates. Which is why I don't bother theming apps, as they update often, only system stuff like SystemUI and Google Now which don't really get updated often.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Just looked at my Package Disabler Pro blacklist, and rolled eyes. This is after I'd uninstalled apps that can be uninstalled.

Okay, there's a lot less bloat than in previous phones, but even still, this is too much given that almost all of them either have Google versions which are more useful to me, or third party alternatives, or I just have no use for them at all.

http://i.imgur.com/uoEyQhG.jpg

Soldato
Just looked at my Package Disabler Pro blacklist, and rolled eyes. This is after I'd uninstalled apps that can be uninstalled.

Okay, there's a lot less bloat than in previous phones, but even still, this is too much given that almost all of them either have Google versions which are more useful to me, or third party alternatives, or I just have no use for them at all.

http://i.imgur.com/uoEyQhG.jpg

Have to noticed difference in battery life after disabling all that bloat ?
Need to do it to my s8

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Not really, it's more about principles than anything else.

The disabled services aren't things that consume any data or CPU time when they're running in the background, so you'll not see any battery gains.

I just like things self managed and clean.

Soldato
Not really, it's more about principles than anything else.

The disabled services aren't things that consume any data or CPU time when they're running in the background, so you'll not see any battery gains.

I just like things self managed and clean.
Cool :)

any recommendations for a screen protector ?
I havent used one for years on any previous mobiles but am considering one for this one...but then dont want to ruin the experience of nice glass front.

Soldato
I caved and bought an s8 :o

First impressions;
- I'm still not sure about the edges although the edge panels are proving the quite useful
- the edges make it hard to pick up normally!
- battery life is ok, not amazing although it's new / still learning and optimising apps etching
- doesn't seem to have any red tint that I've been reading about
- multitasking and general usage is fast as hell.
- hdr video is AMAZING
- most capable display in direct sunlight I've ever seen.
The phone is super slippery, like the back glass is coated in wd40 or something. Case has been ordered!
- it feels smaller than I expected and already my old 5.5" 2k phone looks oddly wide in comparison.
- hate the fingerprint sensor position. Hate it hate it hate it.

Soldato
Are you using a case with a magnetic clasp. If so, the clasp can make a notification sound when NFC is enabled.
it was notifications reminder in accessibility...

I caved and bought an s8 :o

First impressions;
- I'm still not sure about the edges although the edge panels are proving the quite useful
- the edges make it hard to pick up normally!
- battery life is ok, not amazing although it's new / still learning and optimising apps etching
- doesn't seem to have any red tint that I've been reading about
- multitasking and general usage is fast as hell.
- hdr video is AMAZING
- most capable display in direct sunlight I've ever seen.
The phone is super slippery, like the back glass is coated in wd40 or something. Case has been ordered!
- it feels smaller than I expected and already my old 5.5" 2k phone looks oddly wide in comparison.
- hate the fingerprint sensor position. Hate it hate it hate it.

am not sure about battery life in s8+ as well. I hink I was expecting too much :D
coming from Nexus 6 this phone seems nice and slim although I still like N6.
I got used to the sensor but it annoys me that it needs to be covered with full finger and if you miss small part, it wont work...
have a nice Samsung alcantara case - best case ever in my opinion...I never was a case guy but this on this mobile convinced me otherwise :)
and still getting used to it in all

Associate
For anyone complaining or struggling to get used to the fingerprint sensor location, and also for those who don't like the glass, try a dbrand skin.

Had one on my s7 and loved it so did the same with the s8. Easier to grip and it's ever so slightly raised so getting to the fingerprint sensor is much easier.

Soldato
So if I was going to send my GS8+ back it needed to go today - I just can't bring myself to do it. Yes, the £700 would look better in my bank than Amazon's, but I'm smitten with the phone. I don't think I could stomach going back to the GS7 Edge!

Back
Top Bottom