What's your work IT equipment like?

Associate
As title, how good or bad is your work computer and other IT kit? I'm currently working with a Toshiba laptop with an i5-2450M and 4GB RAM. It also has a 750GB HD (spinning rust). It's slow af and the fan spins up all the time.

Considering buying my own!

What's your work computer like? Pics welcome.

Soldato
Work desktop PC currently is an i5-3570K, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, a GTX 750Ti, all on an MSI Gaming 5 mobo. Think I got lucky though, everyone else's PC's are terrible.

The MD and certain sales staff who moan the loudest have got i7 desktops.

Don
My work desktop is an i5-2400 with 8GB RAM. Newest rigs in the place are i3-5xxx series. Oldest are Core2.
I bring my own personal MacBook Pro to work and use that for most things.

Don
My current work PC is a i7-4790/16Gb Ram/250G Samsung SSD/Radeon R7 260X in a Bitfenix Prodigy M - plenty of grunt to power a couple of VM's and supports the 4 screens I use.

Majority of the business have HP 800 Minis, with I3's or I5's/4Gb Ram and all upgraded with SSDs.

Server wise we have HP DL360's and DL380s, selection of G5s (mostly for testbeds and slowly phasing out), G6's, G7's and a couple of G8s.

Networking wise, everything is Gigabit to the desktop, but recently upgraded our core to 10Gb interconnects via HP/Aruba 2930Fs

Soldato
absolute tosh.

talking terminals to get remote to VDI's those are dual core 4gb ram that lag on everything, opening windows etc flash before your eyes.

screens are 19" 1024res.

kills productivity big time.

Soldato
I have what is classed as a 'developer' laptop, so a Lenovo Thinkpad W540. Quad core i7-4810MQ, 12gb RAM and an SSD to boot from. Not the quickest but not bad, the thing that slows it down the most is the way the windows build has been setup, so is nowhere near as quick as it could be. I use my own 34" ultrawide at home which is perfect for productivity.

Associate
Rubbish. Currently using a I3 with 4gb & 500gb Hard drive. Rest of the kit is slightly better or worse. Just started a company wide upgrade on everything. Finally getting rid of the server 2000 DC's...

Associate
OP
It's frustrating when you're used to fast stuff at home. I understand employers can't always justify the cost of fast stuff for everyone though. Probably will buy my own kit in a bit.

Also only got a 19" 720 (or less!) monitor at work but I'm used to my 24" 4K Dell at home :(

I think the full disk encryption on my work lappy also kills the speed!

Soldato
We are relatively fortunate that we have wyse thin computing boxes and a decent network most of the time.

The main issue day to day is slow and old software rather than anything hardware related.

Soldato
PC is good, but had to be a bit devious to get it. i5-6500, 8GB RAM. Laptop I have given up on them providing a suitable device and bring my 2015 Macbook Pro in.

Caporegime
For the most part at this site, not bad, all "generic" PCs will be at least i5/4GB, most are 4th gen i5/8GB or newer. IT Dev team members have <2 year old Dell Precisions with 5th or 6th gen i7 or Xeon with 16 or 32GB RAM and solid state drives.

I'm currently rocking a Dell Inspiron 15 "Gaming" 7567 (i7/GTX 1050Ti/4k/32GB RAM/512GB M.2 SSD), with a triple-display dock for when I'm in the office.

Soldato
Totally depends on the company. The bigger the company usually means older kit.

Let's say a medium sized company of 10,000 computers. Mix bag of desktops and laptops. Your usual enterprise spec dell optiplex is let's say £650.
To replace all in one go would require an investment of £6.5 million.

or, to ensure they are kept within a six year lifespan is just over £1 million.

Companies tend to let their desktops run and run forever. Unless you are hot on the ball with AppV and SCCM we all know over the years they become sluggish. That's why one of my places has just made the switch to zero terminals. Third of the cost, double the lifespan and lower electricity. It's only doable with a decent server back end but saves millions in the long run. The users love them as they are always quick and look exactly the same no matter where in the building they login.

anyway, my desktop machine is a dell precision i7, 16gb, 1tb ssd which I got free from a supplier. Surface pro 4 for other stuff.

Back
Top Bottom