What's your work IT equipment like?

J.T

J.T

Soldato
All of us in IT have i7 Surface Books plus x2 24" monitors with docking stations on our desks, they are pretty cool.

Caporegime
Seeing the attitude that some businesses have to IT investment suddenly makes it really obvious why we have a productivity problem in the UK.

Like a business paying central London rates dragging their heels over dual monitors "because then everybody will want them". Well, yes. Buy everybody them then.

The best people I work with invest, if that means £1800 laptops every couple of years then so what? The view is that they don't want to lose good staff over £600 on better hardware.

Caporegime
Really good. Multiple SSDs, decent graphics card, lots of memory. We can buy whatever keyboard/mice we want and expense them so I've got a rather lovely Das Keyboard.

Recently asked for another 1TB SSD for some VMs, no problems.

Associate
We don't have Desktops here only Laptops that are docked:

HP EliteBook 840 G2
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Docked with three HP EliteDisplay E231 monitors

Associate
PC: HP Z420
CPU: Xeon E5-1620
RAM: 64Gb
HDD: 1x 512Gb SSD & 1x 1TB HDD
Graphics Card: 2x Nvidia Quadro 600
Monitor: 4x Iiyama ProLite T2452MTS Monitors

Don
Seeing the attitude that some businesses have to IT investment suddenly makes it really obvious why we have a productivity problem in the UK.

Like a business paying central London rates dragging their heels over dual monitors "because then everybody will want them". Well, yes. Buy everybody them then.

The best people I work with invest, if that means £1800 laptops every couple of years then so what? The view is that they don't want to lose good staff over £600 on better hardware.

Absolutely this.
A friend of mine who own a web-development business told me that spending £1500 every 3 years on a nice rig and screens for his coders was a small price to pay for keeping them happy and thus, retained.

Unfortunately, the majority of businesses only see IT as an expense that is to be minimised.

Associate
Considering that it's a charity, the machines here aren't too bad.
Most of the machines are E5400, 3GB RAM, 300-500GB HDD with 1440x900 resolution monitors, mine has the added bonus of a GeForce 7300 LE as I do a little bit of design work.

We have a mixture of Windows 7 and Window 10 throughout the office, though the majority of our work is done off of a remote desktop with Windows Server 2008.

FTM

FTM

Soldato
nothing fancy, 2x hp probooks and 2x 24inch monitors ( we run 2 operating systems across the business so I have 2 builds for testing and updates)

Soldato
PC: Dell Precision M4800
CPU: i7 4810MQ
GPU: Quadro K2100M
RAM 16GB
HDD: 500GB Samsung SSD
Monitors: 24" Dell, 24" HP

TBH i have one of the higher spec machine most others are basic.

Associate
Pretty decent here most users have an i5 ivybridge based desktop with managers and some staff rocking Elitebook 840 g1/g2's, i'm currently running a stacked 840 g1 with two 27in monitors, but then pays to be in the IT department and to have my own budget :) feel an upgrade might be in order now.

Soldato
Generally Dell XPS 15" or similarly spec'd Latitudes dependent on use. Macbook Pro's or Air's dependent on application again.

Everything is Core i7, SSD and minimum 16GB where possible.

I'm responsible for the IT procurement where I work, and similar to what Rilot said, technology investment should enable productivity, not hinder it. Poor investment and stagnant lifecycles result in higher maintenance overheads, lower productivity and lower employee satisfaction.

Back
Top Bottom