google employee's internal diversity memo goes viral

Caporegime
Actually I've had several female bosses over the years, and I thought they were pretty great. Better than a lot of the male ones. Maybe they were just good people, regardless of their gender?

Maybe they were bad people? Being a good or bad person can be separated from how good you are at managing people, if anything studies show the better bosses/managers/leaders are quite low on agreeableness and high on consciousness.

Caporegime
OP
if say you're going to hit problems by using historical record though.

even my mum's generation girls weren't alowed to study physics at school and instead had to do typing.

you'll need to be very careful what range you take your sample to find a point whete the education system they grew up in was balanaced

well not really, you don't need to look at historical data but rather current data for chess or the IMO will show stark gender differences

I'm not sure about girls weren't allowed to study physics at school is entirely true though, perhaps discouraged to some extent but not barred from it - my mum is a retired physicist + my nana had a maths degree and is probably a more legit feminist than any of the weak third wave types today.

Caporegime
well not really, you don't need to look at historical data but rather current data for chess or the IMO will show stark gender differences

I'm not sure about girls weren't allowed to study physics at school is entirely true though, perhaps discouraged to some extent but not barred from it - my mum is a retired physicist + my nana had a maths degree and is probably a more legit feminist than any of the weak third wave types today.

not all areas where equal i the 50/60s

Associate
Noticed this on Facebook this morning.

Women are 'weaker' than Men, who are 'biologically disposable'? What? So many silly illogical fallacies here. What a load of hogwash. Due to sexist, patriarchal social, economical and political structures, women end up doing the housework, caring for children, elderly parents and relatives far more than men do - and are penalised in their careers with lower pay and diminished opportunities. But unlike men, women have historically and heroically made sacrifices in their careers to accommodate others.

I would say to him he needs to get used to having more 'girls' around, including minority, gender fluid and trans ones too, in the tech world, where brain power and creativity are more important than muscles. He also needs to get used to these "uppity girls" wanting equal pay too just like their colleagues. The world is always changing and he should learn to embrace it instead of being a dinosaur. Women are just as smart and resilient as men.

Diversity is a source of creativity and strength. Google is fully justified in firing someone who doesn't believe in its corporate vision, passive-aggressively creates a hostile work environment and impedes progress towards its stated mission to level the playing field and promote diversity and fairness.

Soldato
Women are 'weaker' than Men, who are 'biologically disposable'? What? So many silly illogical fallacies here. What a load of hogwash. Due to sexist, patriarchal social, economical and political structures, women end up doing the housework, caring for children, elderly parents and relatives far more than men do - and are penalised in their careers with lower pay and diminished opportunities. But unlike men, women have historically and heroically made sacrifices in their careers to accommodate others.

Women are physically weaker than men. Men are generally regarded (from an evolutionary perspective) as being more disposable. These fact have nothing to do with patriarchy. Women were traditionally encumbered by pregnancy, hence being limited to domestic chores. And uh, men have been putting their lives at risk for tens of thousands of years to provide and protect for their families, heroically so.

Also, if there's no differences between men and women, why pursue diversity at all? The generally argued reason for having men and women on boards is that both male and female styles of thinking are represented, not so two different types of genitals are present. So surely that implies different modes of thinking by default?

I would say to him he needs to get used to having more 'girls' around, including minority, gender fluid and trans ones too, in the tech world, where brain power and creativity are more important than muscles. He also needs to get used to these "uppity girls" wanting equal pay too just like their colleagues. The world is always changing and he should learn to embrace it instead of being a dinosaur. Women are just as smart and resilient as men.

Male and female intelligence is different. If you look at the spread of male and female iq's, you'll see women tend to be smarter on average but produce less geniuses and idiots. So naturally men are always going to be over represented in industries heavy on raw intelligence.

Oh and persons with mental health issues are unlikely to ever contribute as much as mentally robust persons. If anything, companies should be excluding those people from jobs requiring a lot of focus.

Diversity is a source of creativity and strength. Google is fully justified in firing someone who doesn't believe in its corporate vision, passive-aggressively creates a hostile work environment and impedes progress towards its stated mission to level the playing field and promote diversity and fairness.

Proof? The Western world didn't require racial diversity to go through several golden ages of art, culture and science. Contact with ideas is sufficient, you don't need internal diversity.

Last edited:
Soldato
which is bizzare as we've all been through school and we all know that while the nerdy kid can hit the gym and be the big muscle bound jock the slow kid csnt just hot the books and drag his IQ up a couple of dozen points.

If you hit the books you will not increase your IQ, if you do, the test itself is flawed.

Knowledge does not equal intelligence, your "IQ" is what is is, improving as your brain develops, and diminishes as you get old and senile.

Soldato
That's (a) not what he's saying and (b) very different to what you previously claimed he said.

So what are you asking what I agree with? What he actually said, what you first claimed he said or what you've just claimed he said?

There's no doubt that biological differences lead to different abilities in everything. For example, I couldn't be a physicist on a par with Stephen Hawking regardless of what educational opportunities I had.

How gendered the relevant differences are and how much that genderisation is innate is a different question entirely. I don't know and I think it's not possible to know. But I definitely think that it should be permissable to talk about it and I definitely think it should be unacceptable to discriminate against people based solely on sex and "race", so I agree with him on that. Unlike Google, which thinks it's a good thing to discriminate against people based solely on sex and "race".

Which biological characteristics cause a 'different distribution of preferences and abilities of men and women and explain why we don’t see equal representation of women in tech and leadership.' ?

Caporegime
Which biological characteristics cause a 'different distribution of preferences and abilities of men and women and explain why we don’t see equal representation of women in tech and leadership.' ?

Giving birth? Motherly desire to be with child? Less time to spend gaining experience?

Jesus christ, the man is trying to improve the world of work for everyone, not just women and now hes fired.

Soldato
Giving birth? Motherly desire to be with child? Less time to spend gaining experience?

Jesus christ, the man is trying to improve the world of work for everyone, not just women and now hes fired.

Why does giving birth only affect tech and leadership skills? What about finance or law?

Caporegime
OP

have you read the whole memo?

Caporegime
Why does giving birth only affect tech and leadership skills? What about finance or law?

Probably does to some degree, but finance and law generally has a particular kind of person working in that environment. I don't know what the difference is in workload or how easy it is to fire in tech vs finance/law, structure of law/finance firms are probably different, generally only hire from specific universities so there will be the ethos/behavior of that university to look at in particular.

CS (not that this is wholly responsible for tech firms, but is a good chunk) is generally a male oriented degree, not because it is meant to be, but that's just how the people perceive it and that effects how many future distributions will be oriented to male classes and so forth, there are just LESS women to hire and men aren't likely to take their paternity leave if they have a child (Which they wont bother with nowadays).

We really need to stop aiming for a future where women and men are forced to work, regardless of child rearing ability, handing them off to third parties to care for them is very unkind for the child (Perfect for a crony capitalist society however), the memo implies it somewhat.

Soldato

Same 'problem' in those industries to.

I say 'problem' because it's not really one... wage gaps and/ or under representation does not necessarily equate to sexism.

People want equal opportunity and diversity. Unfortunately you can't achieve both whilst meddling. It either happens naturally or not at all.

Back
Top Bottom