Help - Grandsons "Train Simulator" (on steam) doesn't work in creators update

Soldato
Giving up for now (for ever!)

Windows creators update has probably killed it off. It's a very very poorly made update. If you still want to try a few things here are a couple of issues i had with creators sapping performance for no reason.

Even on a desktop the power plan now matters so make sure high performance is selected. Also try to run the game in what they call " game mode " to see if that in anyway helps as it in theory should clear up some cpu headroom. Not that this should be the cause of the problem but windows is probably now sapping more of your power away from the game.

Associate
I have a similar issue with the Creators, and my answer was rather dramatic ~ I just uninstalled the Creators and then blocked it from installing again. In time the issue will probably be resolved in time so I will keep trying now and then. But honestly, unless there is something you specifically want in the update, there is no rush to install it.

Soldato
Giving up for now (for ever!)
So sad to see this. I'm almost tempted to try to replicate this fault ;)

Before you do can you check you have the very latest W10 build.

Run CMD from the search icon and enter winver. This should pop up a box saying Windows 10 version 1703 build 15063.540.
Andi.

PS You could also try this -

1. If you’re using Windows 10 or Windows 7
  2. Click Start, type Command Prompt or cmd in the Search box, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  1. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
  2. sfc /scannow
  3. The sfc /scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that’s located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
  4. The %WinDir% placeholder represents the Windows operating system folder. For example, C:\Windows.
  5. Note Do not close this Command Prompt window until the verification is 100% complete. The scan results will be shown after this process is finished.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So sad to see this. I'm almost tempted to try to replicate this fault ;)

Before you do can you check you have the very latest W10 build.

Run CMD from the search icon and enter winver. This should pop up a box saying Windows 10 version 1703 build 15063.540.
Andi.

Yes - latest and latest Nvidia driver.

PS You could also try this -

1. If you’re using Windows 10 or Windows 7
  2. Click Start, type Command Prompt or cmd in the Search box, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  1. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
  2. sfc /scannow
  3. The sfc /scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that’s located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
  4. The %WinDir% placeholder represents the Windows operating system folder. For example, C:\Windows.
  5. Note Do not close this Command Prompt window until the verification is 100% complete. The scan results will be shown after this process is finished.

Don't think there is a problem as All other programs run - will try tommorw

Also I have an old P4 / Win 7 PC / 3GB memory - would Steam / TS run on that?

Soldato
OP
I have a similar issue with the Creators, and my answer was rather dramatic ~ I just uninstalled the Creators and then blocked it from installing again. In time the issue will probably be resolved in time so I will keep trying now and then. But honestly, unless there is something you specifically want in the update, there is no rush to install it.

Now it's installed don't really want to uninstalled Creators update.

Who will resolve it Msoft or TS programme developers - not quite sure if either knows it's an issue (or cares!)

Soldato
OP
Well there really is something flakey here.
- I uninstalled the game via steam
- I deleted Railworks folder
- I reinstalled the game - it worked. I turned off show films at startup in settings
- I drove a train
- shut down the PC
- I restarted it.
- loaded to main screen then crashed!

What a pile of C***

mel

Soldato
OP
Also I have an old P4 / Win 7 PC / 3GB memory - would Steam / TS run on that?

Steam loads up OK. TS runs - but tooooo slowwwly!

Soldato
However, I have just updated my win 10 with the creators update AND now Train Simulator will not run past the startup banner screen - the trains just freeze!"
The train drivers became unionized in creators update, he needs to roll back to anniversary update or negotiate with ASLEF.

Soldato
OP
Well some sort of solution. Bought my own version of TS as it was reduced to £12.

Set up steam for myself. Loaded onto wife's newer PC which I built last year for her. Z97 MB, I5 processor, 16GB ram, on board graphics, Win 10 creator AND IT WORKS. Even after a reboot. Graphics only at min option and 1280x1024.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
For future ref, you can link familiy steam libraries and install/play each others games (only one person can play each at once).

He's on holiday at moment and I don't know his password. So I "invested" the £12 so I could !"play"

Have just installed an ATI Radeon 4800 - which is a bit old - on my wife's new PC - it is running the game at high res!!

That's it for now - next time he comes he can play it. Can't have him bored. He hasn't got a PC at home so he can only play it here .. . .

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Associate
Does the nvidia driver belong to one of the Unions?
Sounds like you have the "SOUTHERN" update to Train simulator!
If you want to run it on your older PC just turn down some of the grafix settings or set it to run at a lower res eg 720 not 1080

Man of Honour
The thing to turn down in TS2017 is Scenery Density. Leave Scenery Quality alone as things such as stations and signals will start to disappear. Once you have started the game up click on Settings in the top right corner. You will now be looking at the basic graphics settings. Click on Advanced and you will see several more options. Scenery Density is the second slide bar down and even lowering it a notch or two can make a huge difference. Amongst other things it determines the density of all the plants so lowering it doesn't make that much difference to the actual game. While you are in that section of the settings drop the AA/AF as well which will also make a big difference. Save your settings and it will most likely want to restart the game so let it.

I have to say though, if your own pc is of a decent spec with a good gpu you shouldn't have to be fiddling around to get it working like this. I can run it with max settings at 1920x1200 and 2560x1600 using DSR on the pc in my siggy. As the game is mainly single threaded it really needs a strong cpu to make it run smoothly and being installed on a SSD helps with smoothness as well. I can only assume that your problems are caused by the Creators Update as I still don't have it yet (not going to either judging by the number of problems it is causing) and I can run the game perfectly well.

Back
Top Bottom