Help - Grandsons "Train Simulator" (on steam) doesn't work in creators update

Soldato
When my Grandson comes to stay he plays with "Train Simulator 2017" on my Win 10 PC.

However, I have just updated my win 10 with the creators update AND now Train Simulator will not run past the startup banner screen - the trains just freeze!"

I have a graphics board which worked on Windows 1607 - Nvidia Ge Force GT1030. (cheap board as I don't game) but it worked adequately over the summer. Have upgraded to latest Nvidia driver - but no no avail.

Is this a Nvidia driver issue or a Win 10 issue - and what do I do!!! (ok till half term . . . )

Soldato
OP
First thing to do would be to verify the files in your Steam library.
Andi.

Thanks Andi - but how do I do that please (novice to games)? It loads and runs from Steam but then in the intro screens (first few seconds) the trains stop running and freeze - this is before the intro screen to choose what to select.

Soldato
OP
  • Right click on the game name, within the library environment.
  • Select properties
  • Click 'Local files tab'
  • Select 'Verify Integrity Of Game Files'
  • Let it do its thing
  • Test game

I have done this (twice) and it says "1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired". But doesn't seem to do this?
Still will not run.

Soldato
OP
If verify isn't working you could delete it and re-install it.
You can do this by right clicking on the game in the library and I think 'delete local files' should be an option.
In the library you should now still see the game and it should have an option to install.
This shouldn't affect any progress made in the game - I think
Andi.

Thanks - he has the CD - that will have to wait. What a time wasting exercise!!!

Soldato
OP
Slightly off the path here, but do i recall a thread from around a year ago where your grandson may or may not have spent money on buying extra trains and you was trying to get a refund :D? Or was that someone else?

Yep. It was my daughters fault - she left her credit card details in!! He didn't spend much so she let it be. He had 2 weeks here and played TS for 2 hours every day!!!

Soldato
OP
Some games were not working for me on creator's update. They recently released a patch which fixed it for me. Try running windows update.

Tried that - nothing offered to me yet. Thanks. Only updated to Creators Update yesterday so perhaps this will arrive soooooon

Soldato
OP
Frustrating!!

- Installed latest Nvidia driver (clean install)
- Uninstalled Train Simulator via Steam. Rebooted.
- Reinstalled TS via Steam.
- Ran TS (no compatibility settings) and it RAN - start up screens of moving trains were a bit juddery but got through this and ended up on "Drive" screen. Did Quick drive and went OK.
- Exited TS, shut down, rebooted. Tried to run TS again but it kept stopping on moving trains screen (1st or 2nd train). Aren't computers meant to do same thing each time?
- Frozen - Task manager says Railworks.exe in not responding. Have to exit via sign out to exit game.

Why does it work once? did disk clean but still won't run. Humph.. That's it for now - head hurts.

Soldato
OP
some were solved by going back to Nvidia driver 378.92. Others had Microsoft office installed and could fix it by disabling a updater in task manager. .

Tried this but says driver not compatible with Windows version or Graphics hardware?

Couldn't find any MS office updater in task manager

Soldato
OP
Do you have an error log as to why this is happening?

Yes there is - last time I looked it was due to a fatal visual studio error. Will look in a short while and paste some relevant bits from it.

Looked with dumpchk and can't seem to see anything in it except lots of memory addresses and I cannot copy from the cmd window for some reason.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So sad to see this. I'm almost tempted to try to replicate this fault ;)

Before you do can you check you have the very latest W10 build.

Run CMD from the search icon and enter winver. This should pop up a box saying Windows 10 version 1703 build 15063.540.
Andi.

Yes - latest and latest Nvidia driver.

PS You could also try this -

1. If you’re using Windows 10 or Windows 7
  2. Click Start, type Command Prompt or cmd in the Search box, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
  1. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
  2. sfc /scannow
  3. The sfc /scannow command will scan all protected system files, and replace corrupted files with a cached copy that’s located in a compressed folder at %WinDir%\System32\dllcache.
  4. The %WinDir% placeholder represents the Windows operating system folder. For example, C:\Windows.
  5. Note Do not close this Command Prompt window until the verification is 100% complete. The scan results will be shown after this process is finished.

Don't think there is a problem as All other programs run - will try tommorw

Also I have an old P4 / Win 7 PC / 3GB memory - would Steam / TS run on that?

Soldato
OP
I have a similar issue with the Creators, and my answer was rather dramatic ~ I just uninstalled the Creators and then blocked it from installing again. In time the issue will probably be resolved in time so I will keep trying now and then. But honestly, unless there is something you specifically want in the update, there is no rush to install it.

Now it's installed don't really want to uninstalled Creators update.

Who will resolve it Msoft or TS programme developers - not quite sure if either knows it's an issue (or cares!)

Soldato
OP
Well there really is something flakey here.
- I uninstalled the game via steam
- I deleted Railworks folder
- I reinstalled the game - it worked. I turned off show films at startup in settings
- I drove a train
- shut down the PC
- I restarted it.
- loaded to main screen then crashed!

What a pile of C***

mel

Soldato
OP
Also I have an old P4 / Win 7 PC / 3GB memory - would Steam / TS run on that?

Steam loads up OK. TS runs - but tooooo slowwwly!

Soldato
OP
Well some sort of solution. Bought my own version of TS as it was reduced to £12.

Set up steam for myself. Loaded onto wife's newer PC which I built last year for her. Z97 MB, I5 processor, 16GB ram, on board graphics, Win 10 creator AND IT WORKS. Even after a reboot. Graphics only at min option and 1280x1024.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
For future ref, you can link familiy steam libraries and install/play each others games (only one person can play each at once).

He's on holiday at moment and I don't know his password. So I "invested" the £12 so I could !"play"

Have just installed an ATI Radeon 4800 - which is a bit old - on my wife's new PC - it is running the game at high res!!

That's it for now - next time he comes he can play it. Can't have him bored. He hasn't got a PC at home so he can only play it here .. . .

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom