• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

VEGA IS FINALLY HERE, ITS IN STOCK ALONG WITH SOME EPIC BUNDLES & FREESYNC DEALS!!

Caporegime
Can see the effect of Nvidias DirectX 11 driver optimisations in this one. AMD Vega is consistently 5-10% lower in cpu usage than the 1080 at the same framerates. 10% total cpu time of a 7700k @ 4.5ghz is a lot of cycles. It's a pity AMD have no plans to optimise DirectX11 in the same way.
Worth remembering that the Witcher 3 is a GameWorks title.

V F

V F

Soldato
Depends on how high the fps is in the first place. If it is 30 and drops to 15, believe me, you are going to feel it :p

Oh I know. Personally being used to Quake Champions and capped 125fps I don't like anything lower. Though it is strange how other games seem to feel fine at locked 60.

I'm dissapointed to not see any Vega tests with Quake Champions considering AMD is all over Quake Champions.

Even though this is only Ryzen.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Oh I know. Personally being used to Quake Champions and capped 125fps I don't like anything lower. Though it is strange how other games seem to feel fine at locked 60.

I'm dissapointed to not see any Vega tests with Quake Champions considering AMD is all over Quake Champions.
I don't really play online fps games and hardly ever play anything competitively. The last thing that comes to mind was Age of Empires 3 where I was trying to rank up :p

For games I play 30-60fps is fine. But under 30 and I feel it, or if I was at 45 and it suddenly dropped to 30 I would feel it.

Associate
yep, as much as I want one I just cant bring myself to pay it and would just rather go without

Hmmm. I think what the 56 has going for it is the fact it has the potential to blow the 1070 out of the water with the right optimizations. I mean in a fair few titles it trounces the 1070. It also has vastly greater 'potential' to improve in performance over time because of optimizations, rapid-packed math and more future-leaning tech.

Caporegime
Hmmm. I think what the 56 has going for it is the fact it has the potential to blow the 1070 out of the water with the right optimizations. I mean in a fair few titles it trounces the 1070. It also has vastly greater 'potential' to improve in performance over time because of optimizations, rapid-packed math and more future-leaning tech.
The 25 game average was neck and neck.

For every game where the 56 "trounces" the 1070, there is another game where the result is reversed.

The reality is that as things stand today, the 56 is on par with the 1070, not ahead.

Associate
The 25 game average was neck and neck.

For every game where the 56 "trounces" the 1070, there is another game where the result is reversed.

The reality is that as things stand today, the 56 is on par with the 1070, not ahead.

Depends on who's benches you use. TechPowerUp similarly did a 20-game benchmark and had the 56 far ahead in many titles, especially in 1440p (6% ahead on average) and 4k (9% ahead):

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_RX_Vega_56/31.html

The 56 should definitely be faster on average if you averaged all the major site benchmarks. Anandtech had the 56 clearly faster, so did Digital Foundry, Hexus etc etc.

Soldato
Depends on who's benches you use. TechPowerUp similarly did a 20-game benchmark and had the 56 far ahead in many titles, especially in 1440p (6% ahead on average) and 4k (9% ahead):

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Radeon_RX_Vega_56/31.html

The 56 should definitely be faster on average if you averaged all the major site benchmarks. Anandtech had the 56 clearly faster, so did Digital Foundry, Hexus etc etc.
And not forgetting that based on previous AMD cards it is reasonable to assume that the performance will improve significantly over time via new drivers... better performance will offset heat/noise/power consumption for most if not all I would think.

Associate
And not forgetting that based on previous AMD cards it is reasonable to assume that the performance will improve significantly over time via new drivers... better performance will offset heat/noise/power consumption for most if not all I would think.

Yes that's true. And it is also true that by the time the. Vega64 keeps up with the 1080 that Volta will be out and 1080Ti will still be faster than Vega64 anyways...

If I buy an expensive card I want the performance now, not in a years time...

Associate

so apparently @Gibbo your fake news and only out to rip off customers...... what total ******... its just happens to be a happy coincidence that all over the world the limit of gouging is exactly the same? lol amd

Associate
Yes that's true. And it is also true that by the time the. Vega64 keeps up with the 1080 that Volta will be out and 1080Ti will still be faster than Vega64 anyways...

If I buy an expensive card I want the performance now, not in a years time...

If you think you'll be able to get a Volta 2080 for less than £500 at launch I've got news for you.....it ain't happening. If they go for a 2070 Volta first that will similarly come with a premium judging by the yearly price increases by Nvidia and the plummeting value of the £ due to Brexit. Nvidia will likely ask £450 for their next 7-series card and if we're lucky performance will be near 1080 Ti levels. So if Vega 56's are sold for £350 then (lets say 5 months' time) then that's hardly a disaster in terms of value proposition for AMD.

Associate
If you think you'll be able to get a Volta 2080 for less than £500 at launch I've got news for you.....it ain't happening. If they go for a 2070 Volta first that will similarly come with a premium judging by the yearly price increases by Nvidia and the plummeting value of the £ due to Brexit. Nvidia will likely ask £450 for their next 7-series card and if we're lucky performance will be near 1080 Ti levels. So if Vega 56's are sold for £350 then (lets say 5 months' time) then that's hardly a disaster in terms of value proposition for AMD.

I have no doubt the 2060 will match the Vega56 with out even breaking a sweat. Most likely trounce it.

Back
Top Bottom