Motherboard that support 2 x Aorus 1080 TI HELP HELP

Associate
Hi all
I bought 2 Aorus 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition, and I want to run them in SLI but problem is my motherboard have only 2 PCIE (x16 or dual x8) for SLI. If I will connect them close to each other they will oveheat. Becasue of that I planing to chenge my motherboard where is 4/5 PCIE.
I found good motherboard from Gigabyte it is GA-Z170X-Gaming G1. But its looks like it only work with Skylake 6th Gen, but I have Kaby Lake i7 7700k. I read on forums people say, that you need to update BIOS to new version and it will support Kaby. Is it possible to do ?
Can someone help me to shoose new motherboard that will support all this parts.

PC parts:
i7 7700k
Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2
32 GB DDR4
Samsung M.2 960 500gb
3x HDD
2x Aorus 1080 TI Xe (Only one in system no space for other one)

Thank you!:)

Soldato
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Which case are you using and is the 32GB DDR4 two or four sticks?

If your case takes EATX motherboards and the RAM is two sticks, then the Asus Z270 APEX would be a good choice.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £270.49
(includes shipping: £10.50)

On this board, the first and third PCIe 3.0 x16 slots are used for SLI, so there's a ton of space between the cards.

Soldato
@Valentin

@GIGA-Man was able to carry out flashing bios for customers with lessor boards but I believe the G1 should have a flashable USB on the back- upload bios onto USB , insert it into the board and should flash- might take a google but like Asus version

all the power of the gaming 9 but without the expensive Aorus flash

Total: £255.49

Apex above is another key board for high DDR4 and OC

Associate
OP
Hi Thanks I use Corsair Obsidian 750D Full Tower Case

Now I have Asus Maximus code

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Which case are you using and is the 32GB DDR4 two or four sticks?

If your case takes EATX motherboards and the RAM is two sticks, then the Asus Z270 APEX would be a good choice.

On this board, the first and third PCIe 3.0 x16 slots are used for SLI, so there's a ton of space between the cards.

Hi Thanks I use Corsair Obsidian 750D Full Tower Case
Well I have 4 Ram sticks

Which is your current motherboard?
Now I have Asus Maximus code

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Thanks. If you want optimal spacing for thick cards, like the Apex has, the MSI Xpower Titanium is another option and it has four RAM slots. You get three PCIe slots of space between the card slots with Apex (no good because only two RAM slots) and Titanium. You get two PCIe slots of space between the card slots with most other SLI boards, including the Code and the Gaming SOC.

Total: £337.49

There might be more motherboards with this PCIe layout but they are rare.

Just spotted another:

Total: £358.69
(includes shipping: £8.70)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks. If you want optimal spacing for thick cards, like the Apex has, the MSI Xpower Titanium is another option and it has four RAM slots. You get three PCIe slots of space between the card slots with Apex (no good because only two RAM slots) and Titanium. You get two PCIe slots of space between the card slots with most other SLI boards, including the Code and the Gaming SOC.

Total: £337.49

There might be more motherboards with this PCIe layout but they are rare.

Thanks you This motherboard looks good. Aorus take almost 3 slots

Soldato
Thanks you This motherboard looks good. Aorus take almost 3 slots

You're welcome. A friend of mine is very happy with his Titanium. And yes, those video cards are huge.

The Z170A XPower Gaming Titanium, which would require a BIOS flash prior to being able to use 7700K can be found new for only £150. It has the same layout. Any local computer shop should be able to flash it for you for £10 or so, if you want to save a nice chunk of money.

Soldato
Ok what about GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 that support Skylake 6th Gen. If I will update Bios will there be any problems in future with Kaby Lake i7 7700k or it will work fine. On web page they say it works only with Skylake 6th Gen (i7,i5,i3) ?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ket-1151-ddr4-eatx-motherboard-mb-525-gi.html

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Gaming-G1-rev-10#support-dl

bios F20, But just download the latest F22d version - released last month

if you want a new board, SOC for £100 off the MSI, or MSI for some serious silver power. SOC and Apex built to break records

taken from Gigabyte site

Q-Flash Plus
GIGABYTE Q-Flash Plus allows users to update to the latest BIOS using a thumb drive without the CPU or Memory needing to be installed.

Updating your BIOS on your GIGABYTE motherboard can be done in a flash – even without memory or CPU onboard. Utilizing the EC Controller, the BIOS on your GIGABYTE Motherboard can now be updated through Q-Flash Plus even if your system is unable to boot. An LED next to the EC controller will notify you once the procedure is complete and you are ready to boot your system normally.

* USB thumb drive not included.

2.20 secs in

plus that board was £500 at the time and still better then half the z270 bar the Flagships from Aorus, Asus,MSI,Evga, ASRock

Soldato
Ok what about GA-Z170X-Gaming G1 that support Skylake 6th Gen. If I will update Bios will there be any problems in future with Kaby Lake i7 7700k or it will work fine. On web page they say it works only with Skylake 6th Gen (i7,i5,i3) ?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...ket-1151-ddr4-eatx-motherboard-mb-525-gi.html

It will work fine if you can get the BIOS updated somewhere. I wouldn't pay so much money for that board, unless you've found a really good offer, but up to you.

Associate
OP
Thanks man .This video is very helpful
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z170X-Gaming-G1-rev-10#support-dl

bios F20, But just download the latest F22d version - released last month

if you want a new board, SOC for £100 off the MSI, or MSI for some serious silver power. SOC and Apex built to break records

taken from Gigabyte site

Q-Flash Plus
GIGABYTE Q-Flash Plus allows users to update to the latest BIOS using a thumb drive without the CPU or Memory needing to be installed.

Updating your BIOS on your GIGABYTE motherboard can be done in a flash – even without memory or CPU onboard. Utilizing the EC Controller, the BIOS on your GIGABYTE Motherboard can now be updated through Q-Flash Plus even if your system is unable to boot. An LED next to the EC controller will notify you once the procedure is complete and you are ready to boot your system normally.

* USB thumb drive not included.

2.20 secs in

plus that board was £500 at the time and still better then half the z270 bar the Flagships from Aorus, Asus,MSI,Evga, ASRock
Thanks man .This video is very helpful

Associate
OP
GA-Z170X-Gaming G1
So I need to insert card in PCIEX16_1 if I use only one card. And for second card in any slot I want or only in PCIEX16_2 ? For SLI

Associate
OP
i think its the 1st and 3rd slot to run at max bandwidth , and also to allow the cards to fit and breathe :)
Yes I think you right. I tried to find GA-Z170X in UK and all online stores dont have them, how this is possible I have no idea. So I going to get MSI Z270 Xpower Gaming Titanium Intel Z270. This board works in 8x 0x 8x so I should have some space for graphic cards.

Soldato
Yes I think you right. I tried to find GA-Z170X in UK and all online stores dont have them, how this is possible I have no idea. So I going to get MSI Z270 Xpower Gaming Titanium Intel Z270. This board works in 8x 0x 8x so I should have some space for graphic cards.

sorry, thought you said you already had the G1 ???

its the older gen and would have been EOL as well as being a very very expensive board at the time .

Their replacement is either

Total: £776.04
(includes shipping: £11.10)

Gaming 9 features a Plex chip running both cards at full 16x as 2 m.2 NVMe at full speed, or 2 Gpus at 8X and 4 x m.2 if you really wised lol
Also VRMs are watercooled which also bumps up the pricing- long with having 18/24 of them!
also get the one slot gap between the cards

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-Z270X-Gaming-9-rev-10#kf

I think the SOC doesnt have the plex chipsand would run 8x /8x , also doesnt have water on the VRMs which its count is between the Gaming 8 and 9- also less flash but half the price- and like the APEX was meant to for hard core LN2 overclocking

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270X-Gaming-SOC-rev-10#kf

Would also recommend the Z270 Apex over the MSI

Last edited:
Associate
OP
sorry, thought you said you already had the G1 ???

its the older gen and would have been EOL as well as being a very very expensive board at the time .

Their replacement is either

Total: £776.04
(includes shipping: £11.10)

Gaming 9 features a Plex chip running both cards at full 16x as 2 m.2 NVMe at full speed, or 2 Gpus at 8X and 4 x m.2 if you really wised lol
Also VRMs are watercooled which also bumps up the pricing- long with having 18/24 of them!
also get the one slot gap between the cards

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-Z270X-Gaming-9-rev-10#kf

I think the SOC doesnt have the plex chipsand would run 8x /8x , also doesnt have water on the VRMs which its count is between the Gaming 8 and 9- also less flash but half the price- and like the APEX was meant to for hard core LN2 overclocking

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z270X-Gaming-SOC-rev-10#kf

Would also recommend the Z270 Apex over the MSI

MSI Apex have only 2 Ram slots I need 4 and why I cant go with Z270 Xpower Gaming Titanium Intel Z270 ? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-31w-ms.html

Soldato
MSI Apex have only 2 Ram slots I need 4 and why I cant go with Z270 Xpower Gaming Titanium Intel Z270 ? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-31w-ms.html

ah sorry my bad , forgot you needed 4 slots

MSI like the SOC is only x8 on both Cards as there is no Plex chip on board like the G1/Gaming 9 . To be honest x8 doesn't really effect performance . Only only on Gen 2 PCIe x16 that using both cards are reduced x8 bandwidth performance started to take a hit

4 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (support x16/x0/x0/x4, x8/x0/x8/x4, x8/x4/x4/x4 modes)

Associate
OP
ah sorry my bad , forgot you needed 4 slots

MSI like the SOC is only x8 on both Cards as there is no Plex chip on board like the G1/Gaming 9 . To be honest x8 doesn't really effect performance . Only only on Gen 2 PCIe x16 that using both cards are reduced x8 bandwidth performance started to take a hit

4 x PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (support x16/x0/x0/x4, x8/x0/x8/x4, x8/x4/x4/x4 modes)

So this motherboard should be good ? https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...cket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-31w-ms.html I not PC expert and I trying my best to understand all this thinks with PCIe and 16x 8x. I read on some other forums people say Nvidia cards only work on 16x 8x and it not work in 4x. I already have good motherboard Asus maximus Code I really like it, but this board have only 2 PCIe that support 2 cards in 8x but Aorus cards take almost 3 slots. So there is not enough airflow to first card. I run 3D Mark test with SLI for medium PC, temperature was 82C on first card on second i think it was 42 or higher. If I will run test for ultra PC I think I will overheat my first card.

Back
Top Bottom