Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi with a 8700k.

Caporegime
using one with a 1700X. runs very cool. it's a great cooler however it's a right PITA to install. I had to get someone to help and I had to take the fan off too and then when I put it back on one of the holding pins is half jammed in the fan. I could fix it easily but it won't come loose so that's all that matters. i'd probably end up damaging something else and it's not a big deal.

personally I'd go with noctua if feeling flush as they are the best or hyper 212 evo if on a budget. however it's probably the fact I was on AMD which made it hard to install. intel bracket and mounting holes may be a lot easier.

Soldato
OP
using one with a 1700X. runs very cool. it's a great cooler however it's a right PITA to install. I had to get someone to help and I had to take the fan off too and then when I put it back on one of the holding pins is half jammed in the fan. I could fix it easily but it won't come loose so that's all that matters. i'd probably end up damaging something else and it's not a big deal.

personally I'd go with noctua if feeling flush as they are the best or hyper 212 evo if on a budget. however it's probably the fact I was on AMD which made it hard to install. intel bracket and mounting holes may be a lot easier.

Ordered one yesterday. I'll be careful installing it. Thanks for that bit of info mate :)

Caporegime
What made it awkward?
Got a 1700X that I'm getting bits for & was looking at this & other coolers for it.

it was me who installed it on a 1700x.

basically you cannot see the holed where the screws go into with the fan mounted on the cooler. the cooler comes with the fan mounted already. so you have to take the fan off to make it a lot easier to line it up correctly.

i also had trouble with the bracket pincers. i didn't want to break them so I wasn't using enough force then i watched a youtube video and saw that's how they are supposed to move then just pushed them in. they don't move freely so force is required to get them to match the mounting points on a ryzen.

the other hard part was you need to screw into the holes. you don't push it over the screw then use a nut to hold into place. so if you push the cooler into the screw the screw will simply fall out the back of the motherboard. so you need to line it up then screw it in without pushing into the screw too much. this was too much for me to do on my own i had to get someone to help. i kept on pushing the screws out, it's far easier and a 30 second job if you get a second pair of hands. i kept an eye that everything was lined up then i got someone to screw them in 1 by one like you would a car alloy. work diagonally. top left. bottom right. bottom left. top right as an example.

now that i've done it i reckon i could easily install another if i had to. but it was a lot more difficult that any other cpu cooler i have used in the past because i was able to mount them usually with the fan on and by myself.

Caporegime
Sounds as fidgity as installing the Hyper EVO 212 into my current system was, but nothing too bad :)

the hyper evo 212x i installed a few months previously was much easier IMO. i have experience with both coolers and the cryorig isn't hard but it isn't easy either. it's unnecessarily fidgety. it's also not as secure. i can rotate the heatsink 15 degrees in either direction quite easily when fully installed. however it shouldn't move on it's own. i wonder if it should tighten it a little

Associate
the hyper evo 212x i installed a few months previously was much easier IMO. i have experience with both coolers and the cryorig isn't hard but it isn't easy either. it's unnecessarily fidgety. it's also not as secure. i can rotate the heatsink 15 degrees in either direction quite easily when fully installed. however it shouldn't move on it's own. i wonder if it should tighten it a little

Ooh, that doesn't sound good!

Caporegime
Ooh, that doesn't sound good!

it won't move on it's own. so i'm fine with it. however it is far from ideal. there is a hole in the middle of the cooler leading to a screw I imagine tightening this could help however I don't want to overtighten it as it's working fine. the only way it could become offset is if something hits it which can only happen if I open the case up to do something. it's not worth worrying about. it's a good cooler for the money however i'd probably go evo 212x in future or aim a bit higher and go noctua. again i believe this is only an issue with the H7. i saw some videos of other cryorig coolers and they look much easier to install and more secure as well.

i think the next cooler i buy will be a noctua though. they are expensive but probably worth it if the evo 212x isn't good enough for the application.

Soldato
While I have not used H7 Quad Lumi on 8700k I have ran both H7 and H7 Quad Lumi on my 6700k at stock clocks with not problems at all. Quad Lumi ran a little cooler and quieter too.

I had no issues mounting it, but I always set cooler onto CPU and start screw, then look at where it sets to be sure I know where to set it when I install it with TIM on CPU.

Only takes a minute and can save all kinds of 'fiddly' problems when TIM is present. ;)

Associate
There's some audio thing in the settings for the RGB isn't there?
If you turn that on, does the light go off when pc is off because, well, no audio?

Soldato
OP
There's some audio thing in the settings for the RGB isn't there?
If you turn that on, does the light go off when pc is off because, well, no audio?

There is no on or off on the audio? This is weird this as never happened before? I'm kind of like WTF? Thanks for the help though.

Edit: Cryorig got back to me on this issue and said:

Thank you for contacting us and for your support in Cryorig's product. There are two ways to turn off the light of the H7 Quad Lumi besides disconnecting your PSU.

1.Set to the fixed black before your PC is off.
2.Choose the "Audio" page and activate it before your turn off the PC.

All of the mentioned methods are able to make the light off after your PC shutting down.

What? So I have to do this every time I shut off PC. What a shame :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom