Panel Type VA
Color Gamut (CIE1931) 72%
Color Depth(Number of Colors) 8bits, 16.7M
Pixel Pitch(mm) 0.2724 x 0.2724
Response Time(GTG) 5ms (Faster)
Refresh Rate 144Hz
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Resolution 2560x1440
Brightness 350nits (typ) / 280nits (Min)
Contrast Ratio Mega
Viewing Angle 178 / 178
Surface Treatment Anti glare ,3H

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32GK850G-B-gaming-monitor

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Only if it turned out to actually be IPS. Va slow response times makes the high refresh pointless with all the smearing :/

Associate
Hi Everyone :)

So - it is my understanding that yes it will be coming to the UK, along with quite a few different gaming models, we are stepping up our gaming range in 2018.

it is also my understanding that this is a VA panel, not IPS - but it will also overclock to 165Hz

So to give you an idea of what you could expect from LG in 2018;

- 34" Ultrawide Curved, Nano IPS, 3440x1440, G-Sync 120Hz, DCI-P3 98%
- 34" Ultrawide Curved, Nano IPS, 3440x1440, Freesync, 144Hz, HDR, DCI-P3 98%
- 32" 2560x1440 VA, G-Sync, 165Hz
- 32" 2560x1440 IPS, Freesync, 1ms 144Hz, HDR
- 32" 2560x1440 IPS, 1ms 144Hz,
- 27" 1920x1080 TN, Freesync, 1ms 240Hz

this names a few that I have seen, I think there will also be some more coming. of course all our gaming screens will have our usual black stabiliser & dynamic action sync

I think there is word of a 34" 5120x2160 5K with HDR600, an upgraded 38" with HDR, as well as upgraded 34" and 29" with HDR

of course once I have more confirmation of everything I will put some posts on here, but that's just a little teaser

Soldato
Hi Everyone :)

So - it is my understanding that yes it will be coming to the UK, along with quite a few different gaming models, we are stepping up our gaming range in 2018.

it is also my understanding that this is a VA panel, not IPS - but it will also overclock to 165Hz

So to give you an idea of what you could expect from LG in 2018;

- 34" Ultrawide Curved, Nano IPS, 3440x1440, G-Sync 120Hz, DCI-P3 98%
- 34" Ultrawide Curved, Nano IPS, 3440x1440, Freesync, 144Hz, HDR, DCI-P3 98%
- 32" 2560x1440 VA, G-Sync, 165Hz
- 32" 2560x1440 IPS, Freesync, 1ms 144Hz, HDR
- 32" 2560x1440 IPS, 1ms 144Hz,
- 27" 1920x1080 TN, Freesync, 1ms 240Hz

this names a few that I have seen, I think there will also be some more coming. of course all our gaming screens will have our usual black stabiliser & dynamic action sync

I think there is word of a 34" 5120x2160 5K with HDR600, an upgraded 38" with HDR, as well as upgraded 34" and 29" with HDR

of course once I have more confirmation of everything I will put some posts on here, but that's just a little teaser

There seems to be a few glaring omissions there - any Freesync 2 capable monitors for use with the new Xbox One X, seeing as it now supports the open standard?

Permabanned
Only if it turned out to actually be IPS. Va slow response times makes the high refresh pointless with all the smearing :/

You can get faster than 5MS on VA and it does says "Faster" in brackets.

The new £2000+ Acer/Asus 35" Superwides 200HZ models due soon are VA, IPS is not my 1st choice and with all the QA issues...

Soldato
You can get faster than 5MS on VA and it does says "Faster" in brackets.

The new £2000+ Acer/Asus 35" Superwides 200HZ models due soon are VA, IPS is not my 1st choice and with all the QA issues...

Yes and they may well just be a smeary me like the current high Hz va panels :/ hopefully not but so far I don't think there is a high Hz va that doesn't suffer from poor dark transitions and smearing?

Associate
Yes and they may well just be a smeary me like the current high Hz va panels :/ hopefully not but so far I don't think there is a high Hz va that doesn't suffer from poor dark transitions and smearing?
The 1080p 144hz Samsung VA monitors don't smear much at all

Last edited:
Permabanned
Coming from CRT/Plama it needs be VA for me TN is horrid and IPS not much better for blacks/contrast ratio (Actual not Samsung Dynamic 10billion x trillion marketing BS)

A decent VA will have about 3x the contrast of other panel types.

There was a photo of a red rose on tech site showing you why black is so important to all other colours and shadow details, cannot find it now though.

I would take Black Crush (what you call smearing) over IPS glow and poor as p1$$ QA on all the AUO IPS panels of late.

Associate
@southernorth & @w1ze1, with regards to smearing vs. black crush:

I'm not sure which either of you means, but here's my take.

To me, smearing is when the pixel response time is too slow, so moving dark objects have a small trail after them, making it seem like it's indeed "smearing"? This only happens on a SLOWLY MOVING image. This is common in VAs, even on 144Hz ones. Though not sure how the latest crop of VAs are doing.

Whereas black crush means that the deeper blacks are not so easily distinguishable from each other. Which happens on STILL image, as well. Especially on older VA panels, the gamma shift allows the viewer to spot these shades easier.

Now, the rest of the message is just the interpretation (/rant) I've made of black crush, and I might be totally wrong, so don't quote me on any of it, but please correct me if there are any glaring misconceptions:
The black crush can indeed be a technical flaw of the display, but in most cases I would probably rather categorize it under a "design flaw" or an unfortunate side effect. Let me open up that a bit: practically all TN panels and most of the IPS panels have not-so-great blacks (or dare I even say "crappy"), so if the graphic designer is using a monitor of either kind (or just a badly calibrated monitor), to get the image even remotely BLACK, they might allocate too many dark shades to the darker end of the spectrum, whereas on VA, OLED, CRT or plasma, it would have sufficed to let it stay further away from the end, and have more range to allocate the different dark shades into.

This discrepancy is also one of the reasons why many VA and OLED displays have a "Black boost" -feature of some kind. Personally, I've always thought of them as "down-grading the blacks to the level of TN and IPS". Sometimes necessary, but that just means that the better monitors have to adhere to the lowest common denominator, a.k.a. the weakest link: TN. Which is annoying.

--------------

To any VA owners (or anyone interested, really), test this to see how your monitor manages with the darker shades:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

The blacks are indeed supposed to be distinguishable from each other (and from the background), but I wouldn't say that you're supposed to see all the deeper black rectangles CLEARLY. If you can, then your calibration probably isn't correct. And black is supposed to be BLACK, not DARK GREY.

Similarly, you can try this to see how it is for your whites:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php

Same idea. Distinguishable, but not clearly (on my set, I can't actually even distinguish #254 from the background).

Last test:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/contrast.php

In this one, you're supposed to be able to distinguish EACH rectangle from the next one, on both ends.

Permabanned
I used the above site to set my VA up and I can see all the blacks but the darkest one may be my brain saying its there, depends if move my head or not.

Same for the white test, can see them apart from same scenario for last brightest one, depends on my head moment.

Now on CRT or my Kuro Plasma its a lot easier to see and not need tweak and the TV's settings that are basically artificial crap that mess with edge noise and blacks are disabled/off.

The last test some of the colours I cannot see the lines in the far right end so they look like one block, the white is working though.

I know I'm not set up ideally but did it by eye and the settings on monitor as too many variable to do with both monitor and NVCP setting, I would be there for days.

Back
Top Bottom