Stay 65" or go 75" shortlist of 3

Soldato
I've no idea what this nits chat is all about!
google isn't your friend.

the OLED is so superior that you can't buy anything else
before you need a replacement, oled maybe usurped by the real qled, if Samsung have any money for the R&D to consolidate the patents they bought.

In a store maybe... at home no... no LCD will represent the proper blacks of the space shots.
Following what you said earlier the eye(iris) does adapt, so if the LCD is meeting the dynamic range of the eye then is it so significant ?
oled : 0nit black backround (99% of picture), 700nit stars ( 1%)
lcd : a few nits ? 1500nit stars
the nits are logarithmic so the few percent of brightness may none the less 'swamp'/bias the receptors ?

Soldato
the Sony OLED looks great turned off too ! but of course it's damned expensive :eek: my old Plasma is fine at night for brightness, just not quite bright enough during the day.............. Lets wait till later next year

Man of Honour
google isn't your friend.
What I meant is that the OLED is superb. Who cares about technical nit chat. The picture is gorgeous and finally is superior to my old Kuro & Panny plasmas. Which I still have going in other rooms. I sold my 2016 Bravia LCD.

I will admit that in bright daylight the LCD was brighter but the OLED is hardly unwatchable, and in the eve it comes into its own.

Soldato
interesting article with some explanation of price fall ... and trajectory ?
http://www.olednet.com/en/price-com...tv-market-oled-tv-price-close-premium-lcd-tv/

The reason why OLED TV prices are catching up with the premium LCD TV prices is significantly due to stabilization of LG Display production yield. In particular, if the E4-2 line of LG Display, which has started operating since the second half of this year, is fully in operation from 2018, LG Display’s large OLED panel production is expected to increase by 41% to 2.4M units from about 1.7M units in 2017; the OLED TV will accelerate market expansion.

so looks like LG prices will drop further and Sony/Samsung will have to respond to preserve market share post black friday though - stick or twist ?
(LG executives and Korean state shareholders probably cleaning up with cheap London property purchases too.)

Caporegime
Following what you said earlier the eye(iris) does adapt, so if the LCD is meeting the dynamic range of the eye then is it so significant ?
oled : 0nit black backround (99% of picture), 700nit stars ( 1%)
lcd : a few nits ? 1500nit stars
the nits are logarithmic so the few percent of brightness may none the less 'swamp'/bias the receptors ?

That’s likely to be very dependent on whether you’re in a dark room or bright room. If you’re in a dark room the Blacks will blend into the background, if you’re in a light room you’ll see the shape of the screen more.

You’re right though, if the room is bright the benefits of OLED are not as clear.

Last edited:
Soldato
Back
Top Bottom