Spec me a large diesel hatchback around £1300

Soldato
Now I'm working further away & covering 300miles/week I could do with something more economical/comfy that can also fit a mountain bike in the back.
It will be a shame to get rid of the 2002 mk1 celica tsport. Where's best place sell it, its an odd car.

My mechanic says go German & stay away from Mondeo. I'm not fussed about looks so long as it's reliable.
Thought of an Avensis d4d but are high mileage chain drives an issue?

Thanks guys

Don
No idea why your mechanic says stay away from Mondeos. They would be my first choice because at this end of the market the badge prestige of a German car makes up the lion's share of your £1300 purchase price. With a Mondeo everyone knows it's just a beater and they are usually marketed for the worth of the actual car rather than the badge.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I had a 1.8 petrol 1999 mondeo years ago & it was the most reliable car I've ever had. Reliable as in few repair bills.
I heard bad reports about the mk3 diesel mondeo but £1500 may get a mk4 facelift.
I'm not fussed about a prestige badge.

Soldato
This surely reeks of mondeo all day long? That's where I would be looking first. Any German motor for that budget will be fairly ropey.

Associate
For me with those requirements i say go with a Vectra, Mondeo, Avensis or a Passat estate. They are all going to have all the common diesel problems, like a the DMF etc. I knew many taxi drivers who would say stay away the Mondeo due the DMF being known to go a lot with that era, maybe thats why your mechanic said to stay away from them. But in that price range your are likely to have a couple of issues not matter what you buy.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I’d look for a Volvo V70 Diesel, ok it’s an estate and quite big to put it mildly, but, you’ll struggle to find a better load carrier and they are well up to moon miles.

Soldato
OP
Reg Avensis. Researched so far: pre 2004 have oil burning issue (reason got chain driven celica), 2006 & possibly 2007 with alloy block chain drive have head gasket issue, pretty sure only 2.2L have a DPF but recognised by green not black D4D logo on engine.
Winner is a Avensis 2005 D4D 2.0L not an ex taxi which in Stoke on Trent could be tough lol.

Don
300 miles per week is only 15.6k miles per year. I'd be looking at a nice, simple petrol engine for that. A diesel may save you a few hundred quid per year but has the potential to be far more expensive in repair bills.

Soldato
OP
1.8 petrol mondeo or 1.6/1.8 petrol focus really. Cheap as anything and so simple to work on if anything breaks.
Yeah I had a mk1 1.8 zetec Mondeo years ago & for 5 years only a thermostat broke, best car I've ever had but only 30mpg.

I wanna swap this for a fugly Avensis that betters 35mpg. Well she's getting on a bit now & the water pump went last week after replacing an aux belt, so it maybe all downhill now for her now. Plus an annoying issue with the rear brakes sticking on but passes MOT. The wheels need a referb now & there are a couple of small rust bits. I'm thinking best get rid now while it maybe worth £800 before something like the timing chain goes as its done 135k miles. For the Celica guys out there, yes it is a T-Sport, just an early one as a pre-facelift & no traction control but with the revised 2zz-ge engine so no lift bolt issues.
2pqkh8w.jpg

Soldato
It will be a shame to get rid of the 2002 mk1 celica tsport. Where's best place sell it, its an odd car.
I’m sure Acme will be checking his bank account right about now this sounds like something he would jump at the chance to own :D

I would get a petrol mk3 Mondeo op. Fuel costs will offset the running costs of an old diesel

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Reg Avensis. Researched so far: pre 2004 have oil burning issue (reason got chain driven celica), 2006 & possibly 2007 with alloy block chain drive have head gasket issue, pretty sure only 2.2L have a DPF but recognised by green not black D4D logo on engine.
Winner is a Avensis 2005 D4D 2.0L not an ex taxi which in Stoke on Trent could be tough lol.

2.0D-4D isnt a great engine, they are known for issues with bottom ends, the filter in the sump gets blocked, turbo's arent great on them either. Try for a CDTI Accord maybe, nice cars and fairly robust engine, although 05 models do suffer with issues with the oil pump chain, but they should be filtered out by now.

BTW the 2002 celica isnt a MK1!

Soldato
Yeah I had a 1.8 petrol 1999 mondeo years ago & it was the most reliable car I've ever had. Reliable as in few repair bills.

but £1500 may get a mk4 facelift.
Please tell me where you can buy a 2011 onwards facelift mk4 for 1.5k? Your talking at least 6k even for a high mileage example. Even the early mk4’s 2007 onwards are at least 3k

Soldato
OP
The Celica is a gen 7 pre facelift 2002 which I thought was called a mk1 then in 2003 the facelift was a mk2, so no mk1/2 ok then. Its much like a Celica 190 but with the facelift engine I think. I'd guess a spoiler would slow it down anyway?
The facelift mondeo I've seen from 2007, is that a mk3 then. This is confusing lol.

Back
Top Bottom