Spec me a large diesel hatchback around £1300

Man of Honour
Will be sad loose the Celica but with having drive 300miles/week it was impractical at 30mpg.

Except it's not, is it? This is 1200 miles a month which is about 200 quid a month in petrol. Switching to a diesel that's 50% more efficient and averages say 45mpg will bring your fuel costs down to about 145 a month.

I'm not sure the extra risk of a complicated diesel banger is worth the saving.

Associate
Good example Saab 9-3/9-5 1.9 TID's can be picked up for well within this price range with plenty of comfort and mod cons. The seats themselves will be difficult to beat on long drives.

Soldato
OP
Yeah jonnycoop aluminium is going to be used more esp as elec vehicles take over.

I've never sold a car before as I normally see them to their grave. What's a good way sell the Celica T-Sport, Autotrader? Thought of the local newspaper but maybe the car is sought after by few people who probably don't live local.

Soldato
Yeah jonnycoop aluminium is going to be used more esp as elec vehicles take over.

I've never sold a car before as I normally see them to their grave. What's a good way sell the Celica T-Sport, Autotrader? Thought of the local newspaper but maybe the car is sought after by few people who probably don't live local.

Owners clubs probably. You'll get messed about less with them too.

Soldato
Bit of a strange result but fair enough :).

I've got a Diesel Mk3 Mondeo and other than the common DMF and Clutch its been pretty solid. Just clocked over 150k recently. Bought it around 83k miles and paid just over £2000 at time.

Soldato
OP
Yep a strange result. I'd never heard of an A2 until my mechanic calls with someone selling one & the low miles/price are good. Maybe its who you know.
The midlife crisis fast car bug is out my system now lol.
Looking forward to doubling my mpg with a higher view of the road. The diesel noise don't bother me, being an ex DHL driver back when they had old transits.

I've had a mondeo before & can't fault it. Never had a German car before.

Soldato
OP
Getting rid of her tomorrow if anyone wants catch a bargain Celica T-Sport £750 :eek:
I'm not spending on the wheels though Celica owners normally put in 18" rims.
107HP per unboosted engine litre.
Autotrader link
149107b.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Tbh the Celica isn't that bad on fuel as the extra power only comes in if you use lift, otherwise its pretty much the same as the 140.

Fair enough changing if you want a different car (celica isn't the quietest on the motorway) but I wouldn't expect a massive saving from the change.

Stick it on the Celica UK facebook page and your local club page if you have one.

Soldato
Bit of a strange result but fair enough :).

I've got a Diesel Mk3 Mondeo and other than the common DMF and Clutch its been pretty solid. Just clocked over 150k recently. Bought it around 83k miles and paid just over £2000 at time.
likewise the only thing to watch for is DMF and injectors, if I was buying a high miler I'd look for one that had had the DMF done along with clutch and starter the injectors seem to be more hit and miss so I'd not be too worried after seeing it start from cold. My first DMF did 90K and if it goes again (I'm now on about 135K) then I'll get is swapped to a single mass as it's loads cheaper and the car makes plenty of noise now it's old so the slight loss of refinement isn't going to be a biggy.

Soldato
OP
likewise the only thing to watch for is DMF and injectors, if I was buying a high miler I'd look for one that had had the DMF done along with clutch and starter the injectors seem to be more hit and miss so I'd not be too worried after seeing it start from cold. My first DMF did 90K and if it goes again (I'm now on about 135K) then I'll get is swapped to a single mass as it's loads cheaper and the car makes plenty of noise now it's old so the slight loss of refinement isn't going to be a biggy.

The A2 has done 66k miles so all good then. Had belt/pump done 2yrs ago.
The Celica had a new clutch 5yrs ago & all-in inc. clutch cost £300.

Associate
Getting rid of her tomorrow if anyone wants catch a bargain Celica T-Sport £750 :eek:
I'm not spending on the wheels though Celica owners normally put in 18" rims.
107HP per unboosted engine litre.
Autotrader link
149107b.jpg

Hi mate,

Nice looking motor indeed for the money, from briefly looking at the AutoTrader ad yesterday. I've been toying with one of these on / off for a while. Just noticed now that you've removed it, did you sell it in the end?

Liam.

Soldato
OP
Hi mate,

Nice looking motor indeed for the money, from briefly looking at the AutoTrader ad yesterday. I've been toying with one of these on / off for a while. Just noticed now that you've removed it, did you sell it in the end?

Liam.
Yes sold privately.
Sorting out the heater blower in the A2 all day. Lying upside down under a dash all day with a broken elbow is no fun lol

Back
Top Bottom