• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel bug incoming? Meltdown and Spectre exploits

Associate

1key4i.jpg

url

Soldato
You want to voluntarily leave a vulnerability that compromises everything on your computer, that so far looks to not really cause a significant performance loss for gaming? Why?

Unfortunately yes because I mainly use my system for gaming, and have a 240hz monitor, every frame matters to me, just as apple should have option for end users not to throttle performance it would be great to see intel users have that option also

Soldato
Gamers shouldn't have much to worry about - the below tests are done on a 1080ti at 1080p pushing the bottleneck to the CPU.

Though this is early, there doesn't seem much need for concern in gaming. At least not yet.

Soldato
OFC people knew about it, it's been around for at least 10 years. They just didn't tell anyone.

They'd have patched it long ago if they knew, they are now down 6%, I don't know what that is in USD, but it's a freaking lot, plus the reputational damage.. That's a big gamble to take to punt a few more CPU's especially as AMD haven't been remotely competitive for the last ten years.

Man of Honour
This basically says AMD are not affected. (See my sig for a level of smugness).
I saw that Linux kernel submission earlier. It's interesting that at the bottom it shows the diff between their submisison and the prevoius version. So there is a version out there which assumes that all CPU's are affected. So the first patch might also hit AMD until a second patch is released. I'm sure this will be released quickly under Linux since we can see that the patch has been submitted by AMD themselves. But how quickly for Windows since only MS have control over it?

Soldato
Gamers shouldn't have much to worry about - the below tests are done on a 1080ti at 1080p pushing the bottleneck to the CPU.

Though this is early, there doesn't seem much need for concern in gaming. At least not yet.

Yep servers will be totally unaffected by this... Well as long as they run AMD :p

Soldato
Read my post, I said gamers. I don't give a monkeys about servers tbh. Workstations and desktop CPU's are my thing.

I think he's referring to online game servers, which definitely will be affected, but that's a problem for the big data centers more than the end user.. I bet they are playing merry hell with Intel over this, they'll be running thousands of Intel CPU's.

Soldato
I think he's referring to online game servers, which definitely will be affected, but that's a problem for the big data centers more than the end user.. I bet they are playing merry hell with Intel over this, they'll be running thousands of Intel CPU's.

Game patches.

Back
Top Bottom