• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel bug incoming? Meltdown and Spectre exploits

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I know there was a patch for the linux kernel on boxing day as to make sure PTI is disabled on AMD cpus. So I guess there is something afoot regards the security.

Soldato
OP
Lol,

redesign of the Linux and Windows kernels

Am not saying that it's obviously been a PITA as appears to be fairly bad hole that's needed to be plugged, but stating a redesign is somewhat sensationalized I feel.

Soldato
OP
The reputable outlets will probably report on it tomorrow when the embargo is up.

Perf on the desktop for what I read yesterday was not the concern it was server but more importantly the actual security hole.

I'm still wanting to know why there is an embargo on it when this was known in October ? That with the fact Intel's own CEO dumping stock toward end of November does not help the issue

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure about October, and Intel's CEO can't just sell stock willy nilly, you can find all of his form 4 filing history here, the sales are made under a 10b5-1 plan to avoid insider trading. A lot of this info is public for a reason.

To be fair there is a blackhat event in 2016 that touched on part of this flaw, I'll dig to see if I can find it. was rather in depth iirc

Also here's intel's CEO stock dump I was referring to

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/12/19/intels-ceo-just-sold-a-lot-of-stock.aspx

Soldato
OP
@pete910 but that's not dumping stock, 10b5-1 plans have predetermined dates when a predetermined number of shares are sold in order for insiders (like CEOs) of publicly traded companies to avoid insider trading related issues. That sale was going to happen regardless of any variation in Intel's stock value, most CEOs do 10b5-1s.
That fool.com article is pure fud and they should know better if they're a finance outlet.

To be fair stock/shares are not my thing. To me looks like dumping a shed load .

Soldato
OP
I think you mean reference 6 "Gruss, D., Maurice, C., Fogh, A., Lipp, M., Mangard, S.: Prefetch Side-Channel Attacks: Bypassing SMAP and Kernel ASLR. In: CCS’16 (2016)" that the KAISER research paper cites. The KAISER paper itself is an interesting read - what I want to know if whether KAISER is actually a more feasible solution than KPTI, but haven't yet delved in deep enough.

Edit: just to answer myself - KPTI is derived from KAISER. What prompted my question is that the KAISER paper claims "the performance impact of KAISER is only 0.28%" but in practice there can be a rather larger performance penalty for some apps/benchmarks.

That sounds the one, I have/had the pdf of it somewhere.

Edit: Found it https://www.blackhat.com/docs/us-16...Layout-Randomization-KASLR-With-Intel-TSX.pdf

No word on if AMD are affected or not yet...

No, there not. The security flaw that is .

Soldato
OP
I saw that Linux kernel submission earlier. It's interesting that at the bottom it shows the diff between their submisison and the prevoius version. So there is a version out there which assumes that all CPU's are affected. So the first patch might also hit AMD until a second patch is released. I'm sure this will be released quickly under Linux since we can see that the patch has been submitted by AMD themselves. But how quickly for Windows since only MS have control over it?

Already pulled into the kernel tree , Linus himself did it

Edit :
Wasn't Linus it was another maintainer that pulled it into here the tip/tip.git tree

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Tip-Git-Disable-x86-PTI

It's not unique to Intel, but what they carefully avoided saying in that statement is that the patch to fix it does not hit performance on AMD systems, whereas is does hit performance on Intel systems in cloud /data centers.

Yes it does hit amd perf wise but the patch/fix is not needed on AMD CPU's thus irrelevant

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Niiiiiiiiice. Open source rocks :)

I expect I'm in for a few days of hell at work trying to schedule emergency patching on hundreds of servers :(

Lol, just amended my post , read as Linus but was a different maintainer :o

Having said that, the AUR guys have pulled it in too.

Soldato
OP
Amds architecture may well be able to fix this issue since they can do a lot more at the microcode level than intel can.
However being vulnerable to even one of the exploits means they will have to suffer the performance hit of the patch hopefully for the short term.

Not sure which vulnerability you mean but, the patch that causes the perf hit is solely for PTI code on intel CPUS.

Back
Top Bottom