• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel bug incoming? Meltdown and Spectre exploits

Associate
Is this how Intel got a better IPC over AMD for so long, by skipping the switching between two separate address spaces for every system call? Or is this nothing to do with that?

Soldato
Is this how Intel got a better IPC over AMD for so long, by skipping the switching between two separate address spaces for every system call? Or is this nothing to do with that?

I very much doubt it, see my previous post
They'd have patched it long ago if they knew, they are now down 6%, I don't know what that is in USD, but it's a freaking lot, plus the reputational damage.. That's a big gamble to take to punt a few more CPU's especially as AMD haven't been remotely competitive for the last ten years.

Update.. Looks like the market is settling down now looking at share prices of AMD and Intel.

Soldato
Small difference? In my world "unaffected" means no difference.

If you can see or feel those differences then sure there are small differences. By small I'm talking about these test which show 1-2%
The average home user won't even know that this is a thing.
It certainly won't be doing intel any favours in the data centre world though.

Associate

Not quite - the switching between address spaces is just the mitigation for the flaw; the flaw is that Intel CPUs speculatively execute instructions in scenarios where they really really shouldn't be.

Associate
If you can see or feel those differences then sure there are small differences. By small I'm talking about these test which show 1-2%
The average home user won't even know that this is a thing.
It certainly won't be doing intel any favours in the data centre world though.

It really depends upon what the user is doing at the time; from the charts I've seen so far, sometimes it's so small to be unnoticeable, sometimes it's bigger but will be masked by interactivity patterns, but there'll also be some scenarios where it's bigger and directly impinging on interaction latency. If you're gaming you may well be GPU-bound and not notice anything even if the CPU is doing extra work.

On a laptop however...

Associate
If you have windows 10 will this update install when it wants to, when they make one?
I still use Win7 so I'm not going to see that update slow my pc down, but if I use Win10 will I?

Soldato
If you have windows 10 will this update install when it wants to, when they make one?
I still use Win7 so I'm not going to see that update slow my pc down, but if I use Win10 will I?

I think they are putting the patch in win 10 update this coming Tuesday.

I doubt you'd realty notice unless you run VMs and servers etc.

Edit, I hope the patch is downloaded from AMD servers, otherwise there might be a bit of a queue! Hahaha!

Associate

No. It's more complex and subtle than that. Fun as it is to bash Intel, their advantage has generally been larger development budgets and better fab tech. And their silicon developers are smart people. That AMD is coming close is a testament to quality of thinking within smaller budgets by AMD.

Associate
I think they are putting the patch in win 10 update this coming Tuesday.

I doubt you'd realty notice unless you run VMs and servers etc.

Edit, I hope the patch is downloaded from AMD servers, otherwise there might be a bit of a queue! Hahaha!
LOL!!!
Sorry for they delay up to 30% extra time must be added to all downloads from now on!
Intel accused AMD’s Epyc chips as being an “inconsistent” and “repurposed desktop product” with “glued-together” dies.
Well thats some strong glue they used, BAM KARMA!!!

Soldato
Epyc news for AMD!!! Intel are jokers who have been manipulating the market for years with their 5% performance increase, hopefully ryzen to is the start of the end

Soldato
I really really hope there's a way to opt out of this update, essentially this 5% is what each tick has given us a 30%loss in anything is disastrous

I wouldn't count on it. The fact that remedial work has been going on in secret for quite some time, that every OS seems to be fixing it on the quiet, that we haven't heard of it until now tells me that there's a significant risk that everyone is keeping quiet about it until they have some sort of mitigation out there.

With Intel putting significant time and money into cloud computing and taking a potentially big hit on performance due to this, I imagine all this work is happening because there's no alternative to a potentially serious issue.

Associate
Not only that but another company has joined in on the CPU market called VIA so Intel has a lot to come up with now.
All Intel 80% off january sales lol!!!

Associate
Well if you got an Intel chip beacuse it was around 5% more FPS in the game that you like playing over an AMD, then you would be ****** after paying more cash for that extra 5% only to loose it after.

Soldato
In other news, AMD have enjoyed a 10% boost in value and counting.

Intel now down in value 6.4% and counting.

Many forms of hype train.

The share prices changing doesn't mean AMD has more cash in pocket but it means investors in Intel are scared it might affect the bottom line.

Soldato
I agree, losing 5% performance in some games is still significant.

The bench marks available so far suggest the up to 5% performance hit in gaming is limited to dx12 and vulcan though, so not really a big deal at this time.
Running games in dx11 seems to be a very negligible impact.

Back
Top Bottom