silly season 2018 - F1 driver line up

Transmission breaker
Don
He wouldn't be a poor choice, as Williams definitely need cash, but he is under 25 and Martini seem to have a problem with that.

I think Paddy squashed that rumour at the USA weekend. I also thought it was a hard stop, but apparently not!

But Auto Bild reports that Williams has "confirmed that the use of a driver over 25 is not a contractual commitment". The report explained that at the few countries on the F1 calendar where the legal alcohol consumption age is 25, test driver di Resta could stand in as a PR representative. (GMM)

Soldato
Hmm, not contractual but probably highly desirable. I'm not sure the sponsor would view a slow, failed F1 reserve driver as a decent stand in. Unless the obligations are that he downs shots of Martini all night! People want to talk to the drivers at events like that, and ask them basic questions about what they thought about the last race etc. All Di Resta could do is get out his Sky Pad and show them some selected replays of the driver everyone wished they were really speaking to.

Soldato
Looks like Williams are trying to find a new driver worse than Massa to try and make it look like Stroll has improved over the winter. Might as well take whatever pay driver you can when you already have one liability calling the shots.

Caporegime
Williams dragging their heals over what they want to do I guess. Probably want someone with backing who Massa kinda aint at this point.

Massa and Williams have both said they won't be racing for Williams next season. There's no 'likely' about it.

Last I heard/read was that Kubica is bringing about £7-8m in sponsorship but Sirotkin is offering double that. Except Sirotkin's backers have links to one of Putin's Cabinet members who's under suspicion of fraud and embezzlement so they're naturally wary of taking the money should something happen and the accounts of this chap get frozen or they get dragged into any of the fire. I think they want to take Kubica, and have asked if he can get any more sponsorship, but with Williams performance last season and the season before not exactly setting the world on fire they NEED to make a positive step forward to ensure they're not hugely out of pocket. Payments for season performance are delayed by a year to ensure no one turns up and invests then leaves with their money. In 2015 Williams finished third, which as can be seen in this image:
QdbpCOt.jpg
meant a decent payout from the FIA at the beginning of 2017 along with their historical payment. In 2016 however, Williams finished 5th, which could mean a drop of £10-15m or so, maybe more from the FIA when they make their payment to Williams early next year. You can see why making that back in taking Sirotkin is tempting and he was, once fuel load, time of run, track conditions and tyres were taken into account, faster than Kubica apparently.

If Williams want to make any improvement in their car, and no doubt Paddy Lowe has brought some knowledge with him from Mercedes, they need cash. IMO if Kubica can bring more cash to match or get close to Sirotkin's offer, they'll take him, if not, Sirotkin will get the drive.

There has been some talk of an offer from Rosberg and Kubica for a 'trial period' of maybe 6 races for him to prove himself capable and if they don't meet certain criteria Sirotkin will take over. Not sure if that's really going to happen mind you, but time will tell.

Also regarding the payment chart above, I think it's truly scandalous that the payments to teams are so out of whack. IMO every team should get the same, the big teams will still make more through sponsorship and 'performance points' at the end of the season. It also shows how amazing Force India and Toro Rosso have done with their respective budgets, FI especially.

Associate
I think Stroll might have the potential to become a decent driver but his F1 debut came way too soon.

I agree, nowadays if a driver spins or bins a car during free practice, qualifying - everyone is so quick to judge and question their ability.

Watching F1 from years gone by, spinning, marooning or writing off a car was the norm. I would love to see the re-implementation of sand traps or similar. Whereas nowadays, if a driver locks up a wheel it's perceived as an error and the post analysis scrutiny begins. Whilst I hate artificial off camber curves designed to force errors and mushroom high curbs, tracks should have sand traps or similar, so when a driver makes a genuine mistake, they are subsequently punished.

Soldato
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/42579911

Looks like Sirotkin is going to get the nod. I guess Martini aren't as bothered as they once were about having over 25s.

Benson not checking his facts again:

bbc said:
Sirotkin and Lance Stroll would be the least experienced line-up on the grid. Sirotkin will be making his F1 debut as partner to a 19-year-old who has raced for only one season.

Torro Rosso pair only have 9 starts between them.

Back
Top Bottom