NVidia announce 4K 65" 120Hz HDR GSync

Associate
Credit goes to @String and @whyscotty for reporting on it in the nvidia CES thread over in graphics sub.

NVidia PR here

Guru3D link here

I'm hoping that prices won't be far out of line with equivalent spec TV as any manufacturers should benefit from some of the economies of scale from the tv components these will no doubt be based on... but more realistically we'll be stitched up by'em as normal :rolleyes:

Caporegime
It is not going to be sold as a TV, acer and asus and HP are not TV brands, it will be sold as a "premium nvidia gaming monitor" so expect a huge price premium. Just look at how much the 49" Samsung QLED monitor costs, expect at least double the price of that.....

As posted in the other thread:

And still not OLED! :D

Can't wait to see the price too, something tells me I will be feeling very smug about my £1099 LG 55E7 :p :D

Any word on how they are achieving 120HZ @ 4k? I very much doubt it is HDMI 2.1 considering that was only "officially announced" a few months ago and the display manufacturers will need to build chips to utilise the features of 2.1 and TVs aren't likely to be getting this until the end of this year, more than likely not until next year and as we know, TV tech. moves far quicker so there is no way monitor manufacturers will be jumping on to it this quick so seems like it will be display port 1.4. Also, not to mention, no current GPU has HDMI 2.1 either...... It will also be interesting to see if it is native 120HZ or just an overclock.

By the time this 65" monitor comes out, I suspect that HDMI 2.1 OLED TVs will be announced and probably cost cheaper.

Hmm, same DPI as a 32" @ 1080p.

Doesn't matter.

At 65" you are going to be wanting to sit very far back so the resolution/pixels will not be noticeable at all.

Associate
OP
And still not OLED! :D

Can't wait to see the price too, something tells me I will be feeling very smug about my £1099 LG 55E7 :p :D

Any word on how they are achieving 120HZ @ 4k? I very much doubt it is HDMI 2.1 considering that was only "officially announced" a few months ago and the display manufacturers will need to build chips to utilise the features of 2.1 and TVs aren't likely to be getting this until the end of this year, more than likely not until next year and as we know, TV tech. moves far quicker so there is no way monitor manufacturers will be jumping on to it this quick so seems like it will be display port 1.4. Also, not to mention, no current GPU has HDMI 2.1 either...... It will also be interesting to see if it is native 120HZ or just an overclock.

Never know, LG might jump onboard and do an OLED one! I can dream... As for pricing I'm inclined to agree, though I'm hoping they won't be double the 49" QLED (actually just checked - and yep I can image these might retail for £2.5K)

It will have to be either DP 1.4 or HDMI 2.1 - not really any other option - and as with many CES launches - you'll be lucky to see it in the second half of the year - so should give them time to work through DP1.4/HDMI 2.1 integration - and might line up nicely with next gen Nvidia cards which you'd hope would should also have the needed connector support (even if they don't have the grunt to drive at 120Hz).

Associate
Expecting an edge-lit VA with poor pixel response, poor uniformity and quantum dot thrown in for over-saturated colours.

Let me know when this is released as an OLED without image retention, cash waiting.

Soldato
65" is mad... I wonder who this is for though and who can actually take this size? It strikes me more as a showpiece "look what we can do" item as opposed to anything mass market. If they could deliver around the 40" mark though, that would be a serious alternative to an ultrawide.

Soldato
65" is mad... I wonder who this is for though and who can actually take this size? It strikes me more as a showpiece "look what we can do" item as opposed to anything mass market. If they could deliver around the 40" mark though, that would be a serious alternative to an ultrawide.

PS4/Xbox gaming console, hopefully TV's will get freesync/gysnc to use exact frame rate, or multiple of the original with processing.

Also maybe for gaming events

Soldato
Hopefully AMD counter this by convincing TV manufacturers to get off their backsides and implementing the free alternative.

I think freesync will be the one that wins the TV sync battle here. With choice of BD players, freesat/freeview boxes, TV sticks, console- no way would all of them support g-sync.

Plus the consoles with AMD GPU's need to support G-Sync TV's? lol nope.

Man of Honour
That's wider than my desk. :/

It would look great on my desk to be fair (150cm desk with a little space to the sides) - but I just can't see myself using it like that.

Plus the consoles with AMD GPU's need to support G-Sync TV's? lol nope.

It is an interesting one as one of the biggest markets for this display would be the console gamers who take themselves very seriously - but without G-Sync support at the console level that is one of the biggest draws of it gone - though you do still have the low latency.

Caporegime
It's not for consoles.

It's for PC gamers that want a big screen with 120HZ at 4k and gsync and low input lag as well as the ability to stream games from their PC to the display.

When TV's get HDMI 2.1 (later in the year or 2019) then you will have adaptive sync (freesync just without AMD's brand name), gsync will never come to TVs.

I also doubt many, if any console gamers would care about the low input latency given that they are happy to be playing most titles at 30 fps as well as using controllers. Heck, TVs are already very good at the latency side of things even for PC gamers, I got no issues with 120HZ @ 1080P on my TV, only reason I don't use it for BF games is because of the sitting arrangement with regards to M+K.

Caporegime
"It's not for consoles."

Why not? I think it will happen sometime

Because this:

I also doubt many, if any console gamers would care about the low input latency given that they are happy to be playing most titles at 30 fps as well as using controllers. Heck, TVs are already very good at the latency side of things even for PC gamers, I got no issues with 120HZ @ 1080P on my TV, only reason I don't use it for BF games is because of the sitting arrangement with regards to M+K.

Two of the biggest selling factors of this nvidia display is 4k @120hz and gsync, the xbx1 and ps 4 pro barely get 60fps @ 4k in most titles, let alone 4k @ 120hz (not to mention, the majority of the time, it's not even true 4k, just an upscaled version of 4k) and of course, gsync, consoles can't even use this and unless nvidia get the next consoles, it will never happen.

Also, one reason why people like consoles is because they can just have a small box connected to their main TV along with everything else so chances are, they aren't going to want 2 big 50"+ displays for separate things and if they plan on just having the 1 display to be used as both a TV and gaming console screen, they are likely going to still go with a dedicated TV that will not only cost far less (a big reason why many go with console over PC) but chances are, still have better IQ etc. to boot.

EDIT:

Well good news, looks like adaptive sync/VRR will be possible on TVs even without HDMI 2.1!

Here's hoping that it will be possible to enable this on some current TVs with a firmware update!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I also doubt many, if any console gamers would care about the low input latency given that they are happy to be playing most titles at 30 fps as well as using controllers.

The larger number sure but there are some console gamers who take themselves very seriously (I'm rather cynical about that due to the whole if you really cared about things like latency you'd play on PC, etc.) and make a big deal about low latency displays, etc. and fancy controllers - despite the fact you can have massive (in PC terms) input delay with some controllers, etc.

Caporegime
Well good news, looks like adaptive sync/VRR will be possible on TVs even without HDMI 2.1!

*Fantastic* news, cheers Nex! At least we'll have some options now for VRR/Gsync on TV's :)

My perfect one would be a 55" tbh, and I don't mind a switch to Vega 7nm to make that happen. I can't imagine nVidia not supporting all HDMI 2.1 features on their next gfx card line though :cool:

Back
Top Bottom