NVidia announce 4K 65" 120Hz HDR GSync

D3K

D3K

Soldato
As others have said, its a publicity stunt. But it's also a very strong message that G-Sync is going to remain proprietary. Nothing screams that like "hey we're putting this monitor tech you want us to share into new TVs".

Then they just need to seal the deal with next gen consoles and we are all doomed to suckle on nvidia's teet for ever more. I'm sure I saw an easy access flap under Jensons chest pocket.

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I don't see a place for this with PCs. Do nvidia have chips in any current consoles, as that seems to be the better market?

Man of Honour
I don't see a place for this with PCs. Do nvidia have chips in any current consoles, as that seems to be the better market?

Seems they are trying to bundle the shield with it and possibly try and muscle in on some console action next gen and/or try to take the market from the established players somehow (that rarely works).

Given the approach its possible they will run some kind of loss leader to try and get adoption though its likely that will just be the include shield :s

Soldato
As others have said, its a publicity stunt. But it's also a very strong message that G-Sync is going to remain proprietary. Nothing screams that like "hey we're putting this monitor tech you want us to share into new TVs".

Then they just need to seal the deal with next gen consoles and we are all doomed to suckle on nvidia's teet for ever more. I'm sure I saw an easy access flap under Jensons chest pocket.

It is sort of going against the point of PC gaming, which is to have high resolution, when you have 4k on 65" it is actually low resolution similar to a 32" 1080p screen.

But I don't think they can do that, to be honest when 120hz 4k HDMI 2.1 120hz adaptive sync is normal, lets say 2-5 years from now, Nvidia would really have to support it, or they would lose a lot of sales, people are not going to buy a Gsync 65" TV, when they could get a normal adaptive sync 120hz 4k OLED or something for less, I have almost zero interest in AMD GPU's anymore, because NVidia are consistantly making much better cards, I used to be interested in AMD back when it was about 290 etc.

BUT if for example I had a 120hz 4k HDMI 2.1 TV and the only way I could use that was AMD, then I would probably get AMD. As it is now I have Gsync monitor and 60hz TV so Nvidia is ok.

Soldato
Seems they are trying to bundle the shield with it and possibly try and muscle in on some console action next gen and/or try to take the market from the established players somehow (that rarely works).

Given the approach its possible they will run some kind of loss leader to try and get adoption though its likely that will just be the include shield :s

LOL Nvidia making a 65" Gsync a "loss leader", I doubt it.

Man of Honour
LOL Nvidia making a 65" Gsync a "loss leader", I doubt it.

Depends what their goal is - if they are trying to build up an ecosystem they might need to make a foothold on adoption first to tempt people away from other options, etc. I suspect this is more about a future trajectory than a one off headline grabbing display.

Don't think nVidia have forgotten about the fact they've effectively been shut out of the console market.

Soldato
Depends what their goal is - if they are trying to build up an ecosystem they might need to make a foothold on adoption first to tempt people away from other options, etc. I suspect this is more about a future trajectory than a one off headline grabbing display.

Don't think nVidia have forgotten about the fact they've effectively been shut out of the console market.

Hm well I would think they would use a different product for that, the 65" 4k is more like a massively expensive flagship product, than something they would use as a "loss leader", maybe they will release a 40" version or something. Also not sure how Nvidia would get into the console market really other than releasing an NVidia console, or selling GPU to next gen consoles, but AMD seem to always win the consoles, the Shield is not very good for gaming unless you use it for streaming a PC. Maybe Nvidia just do not care about console market, they sell loads of cards for PC gaming and professional use anyway as well as various other products.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hm well I would think they would use a different product for that, the 65" 4k is more like a massively expensive flagship product, than something they would use as a "loss leader", maybe they will release a 40" version or something. Also not sure how Nvidia would get into the console market really other than releasing an NVidia console, or selling GPU to next gen consoles, but AMD seem to always win the consoles, the Shield is not very good for gaming unless you use it for streaming a PC. Maybe Nvidia just do not care about console market, they sell loads of cards for PC gaming and professional use anyway as well as various other products.

If you are trying to build an ecosystem you want something big and shiny that those who have it will flaunt.

I think nVidia have a bigger goal here than a headline grabbing but relatively niche display.

Soldato
If you are trying to build an ecosystem you want something big and shiny that those who have it will flaunt.

I think nVidia have a bigger goal here than a headline grabbing but relatively niche display.

Well they might win the next gen consoles, but then I am not sure how the 65" Gsync monster TV would be good for anything to do with the console market, because generally console gamers play on consoles because they cost a lot less than PC's, so I am not sure how a 2000+ 65" Gsync would be aimed at them really. Maybe this is the "big and shiny" one, and they might release smaller / cheaper ones as well I don't know.

Soldato
Well they might win the next gen consoles, but then I am not sure how the 65" Gsync monster TV would be good for anything to do with the console market, because generally console gamers play on consoles because they cost a lot less than PC's, so I am not sure how a 2000+ 65" Gsync would be aimed at them really. Maybe this is the "big and shiny" one, and they might release smaller / cheaper ones as well I don't know.

Agreed. If anyone thinks this monitor is for console owners then they need a reality check haha! This is a showpiece product, nothing more, they won't sell THAT many, but will easily make profit on the ones they do. The margins on this will be insane at £5K, in spite of its features.

I have to believe (and sincerely hope) that we will see circa 40" products stem from this... it makes no sense not to in my mind. Those will sell in considerably higher numbers.

Associate
OLED 65" C7's are 2.5k but I guess if they mean the full retail price then yeah. 5k just seems aimed at no one really and pointless even for a stunt. Just seems odd as they are aiming it at the gaming market.

Caporegime
I just can't see how it will be cheaper than 3k, it isn't being sold as a "TV" and it is a first for most things in the monitor market.....

Back
Top Bottom