Covers better than originals

Associate
Whilst I do like both versions, if I had to pick one it'd be Machine Head's cover of Poison Idea's Alan's on Fire:

Associate
There are a few I will be able to contribute here with a bit of thought, but for starters:

I am a fan of KATL anyway, but this takes Alannah Myles' solid tune and gives it a much-needed tempo, heavy guitar and better vocal.

Whereas this cover of Linkin Park's In The End is the inverse; very cleverly strips the song right back with understated harmonies and just the right amount of guitar. Not a huge fan of Linkin Park and In The End is one of their better songs, but I'd rather listen to this every day of the week.

Aussie X-Factor cover of Kim Carnes' Bette Davis Eyes which I stumbled on a couple of years ago. Dude's got skills.

Man of Honour
Most of the time when I prefer a cover to an original, it is because either:
-I really like the covering artist
-I find the original pretty average
-The cover transforms the song in a way that means it has relatively little in common apart from the lyrics.

The more interesting examples I find are where I like an original and a cover 'equally', but for different reasons. Such as "Best of You" by Foo Fighters, covered by Stereophonics. The original has a driving tempo that suits Grohl. The cover has a slower, melancholy pace that suits Jones.

Associate
I love rock music and Alice In Chains, but I have to admit that there can be a better cover than the original song. I was looking for some new stuff and discovered Bass Astral x Igo - Would cover. It's not a rock version though. I've had mixed feelings at first, but the song's got power.

Back
Top Bottom