Changes to MOT test coming into effect from May 2018

Soldato
Disclaimer: this came from an FB post but it also links to the gov website so I think it’s legit. Some really good news here IMO, especially regarding aftermarket HID and DPF.

Major changes to the MOT test on 20th of May 2018

Some of you may have already heard that there are big changes coming to the MOT test this May. Here are just a few of the biggest changes that are most likely to affect you. Please take these with a pinch of salt as nothing will be finalised until the end of April and will probably still be subject to change after that date. Remember it will take your MOT tester time to get up to speed with these too!

So...

Advisories are being replaced with minor fails. These are all pre written & approved by DVSA. You will still get a pass but they will be noted on your test certificate. Manual advisories are still being worked out but may disappear completely.

Those of you who have changed your standard headlight bulbs for HID's will now get a major fail even if the aim is correct. It has always been an offence to fit HID bulbs to halogen headlamps so the MOT is now in line with that.

Reverse lights are now part of the MOT for any car registered from 1st September 2009 (59 plate onwards). Daytime running lamps (DRL's) & front fog lamps must work on vehicles registered from March 2018 (18 plate onwards).

Engine Management Light is now a major fail. It must come on with the ignition and then turn off when the engine is started.

Brake pad warning lights are a major fail

Handbrake with excessive travel is now a major fail. Before it would only a fail if there was no reserve travel.

Contaminated (dirty) brake fluid is a major fail. Not sure how that will work as the MOT tester isn't allowed to remove the fluid cap.

Oil leaks (engine, gearbox etc.) can be a major failure if they are deemed large enough.

It seems they have removed the failure for tyres not being fitted according to sidewall instructions. Inner/outer or rotation incorrect.

Any modifications/removal to emissions related devices, this includes DPF'S and EGR's is now a major fail.

Where a DPF canister has clearly been cut open and re-welded, it will now fail.

A vehicle fitted with a DPF that emits any kind of visible smoke during the metered test will now fail

Emissions limits for diesels registered on or after 1st of January 2014 have been reduced. All diesels will now need to pass the limit that was set by the manufacturer when the car was new. This can be found on the VIN plate. For example the current limit for your diesel car may be 1.50. That could change to as low as 0.30 with the new rules.

These are just some of the bigger changes to the MOT test the average motorist is likely to be affected by. There are dozens, perhaps even over 100 changes to the actual MOT test and to the way testers record tests on the MOT computer. Please remember these are all subject to change in the coming months and remember spare a thought for your MOT tester before you say...

"Well it passed like that last year!"

Source - https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...nspection-manual-and-in-service-emission-data

Soldato
My thoughts...

Advisories are being replaced with minor fails. These are all pre written & approved by DVSA. You will still get a pass but they will be noted on your test certificate. Manual advisories are still being worked out but may disappear completely.

Good, no more random comments from testers that feel they have to write something that then disappear the next year.

Those of you who have changed your standard headlight bulbs for HID's will now get a major fail even if the aim is correct. It has always been an offence to fit HID bulbs to halogen headlamps so the MOT is now in line with that.

A good thing overall as there are plenty of cars out there with lights that are a menace to other drivers. It will suck for those that have fitted them to projector lamps though if it still applies to them.

Reverse lights are now part of the MOT for any car registered from 1st September 2009 (59 plate onwards). Daytime running lamps (DRL's) & front fog lamps must work on vehicles registered from March 2018 (18 plate onwards).

Good for the reverse light part, not fussed either way about the rest. I have noticed a lot of cars with one LED DRL out recently, they'll be wanting to get those sorted before the warranty expires!

Engine Management Light is now a major fail. It must come on with the ignition and then turn off when the engine is started.

Hmm... That would have caught me out when I had the Octavia with its unique feature of "random EML of the week"

Brake pad warning lights are a major fail

I'm not sure about this one. It is a warning to say a part needs replacing, it could come on between booking your MOT and actually having the test done. I guess your only option in that case is to get the testing garage to do it, assuming it isn't just a test centre.

Handbrake with excessive travel is now a major fail. Before it would only a fail if there was no reserve travel.

My MX5 has had that as an advisory for about 3 years! The handbrake works fine, it just comes up a long way and has a click or two left beyond a firm tug.

Contaminated (dirty) brake fluid is a major fail. Not sure how that will work as the MOT tester isn't allowed to remove the fluid cap.

Very difficult for the tester to see on older cars with discoloured reservoirs.

Oil leaks (engine, gearbox etc.) can be a major failure if they are deemed large enough.

Good.

It seems they have removed the failure for tyres not being fitted according to sidewall instructions. Inner/outer or rotation incorrect.

Seems silly. Skinflint drivers will now be swapping tyres round to get every last mm out of them even if it means running the tread pattern backwards.

Any modifications/removal to emissions related devices, this includes DPF'S and EGR's is now a major fail.

A vehicle fitted with a DPF that emits any kind of visible smoke during the metered test will now fail

Good. No need for a modern diesel to be chucking out smog.

Emissions limits for diesels registered on or after 1st of January 2014 have been reduced. All diesels will now need to pass the limit that was set by the manufacturer when the car was new. This can be found on the VIN plate. For example the current limit for your diesel car may be 1.50. That could change to as low as 0.30 with the new rules.

Seems complicated to test for. I assume that is just the smoke test as nothing else is tested on a diesel is it?

Soldato
I had a quick scan through the updated docs on the government site and couldn't find any mention of aftermarket HID lights. I'm not sure how an MOT tester is going to know for sure if they're aftermarket or not, should they be of sensible brightness and beam angle anyway?

A lot of this sounds like hearsay to me. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Man of Honour

Excellent - is this an end to the stupid 'Undertray fitted' advisory that ruins a clean sheet on the MOT lookup website? I hope so.

Looking at the new testing manual there appears to be no changes at all to the section on headlamps - can't see anything to support this?

Good. They should go further - anyone found to be operating a vehicle with a tampered DPF should be subject to some sort of penalty. It is absolutely unacceptable that it remains a thing to remove this equipment. Yes, the DPF system is complex. Yes, its expensive to replace as the vehicle ages but the answer to this is don't run a diesel if you don't like it.

Properly maintained and compliant diesel vehicles emit almost zero particulates. Rather than destroying the market for clean diesel its about time we focused on all the old obviously polluting rubbish on the roads.

Soldato
I had a quick scan through the updated docs on the government site and couldn't find any mention of aftermarket HID lights. I'm not sure how an MOT tester is going to know for sure if they're aftermarket or not, should they be of sensible brightness and beam angle anyway?

The draft of the new MOT testing manual was sent out to testers last week. So anything can still change, but everything above is part of the proposed changes. Things like checking HID/LED lights is explained in full on there.

Soldato

It says this;

Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to
convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has
been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID
bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected

Man of Honour
Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to
convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has
been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID
bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected.

:Eek:

Man of Honour
DRLs may not operate when the engine is not running, when the parking brake is applied, or when the
park position is selected on automatic transmissions

Who writes this stuff? This reads like DRLs must be switched on when a car has auto start stop and stops the engine or your car has auto hold and applies the parking brake at the traffic lights?!

Soldato
It'll be interesting to see if it makes any difference, HIDS4U already sell them as 'not road legal or MOT worthy but don't worry, they're easy to swap out for your MOT'

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
DRLs may not operate when the engine is not running, when the parking brake is applied, or when the
park position is selected on automatic transmissions

On my E-Class Merc the DRLs stay lit after you lock the car. And indeed they light when you unlock it on the remote and it is dark. Isnt this the same for most cars which light when you unlock them? I realise that these inspections only apply to MY18 and newer vehicles, but right now dont even new cars do this?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Hids is fair enough. Dpf with most cars having them removed these days they'll be hit the hardest.
I very much doubt that DPF removed cars are the majority :p This is a niche market which will hopefully be eradicated.

Man of Honour
Dpf with most cars having them removed these days they'll be hit the hardest.

Good. Removing them is absolutely unacceptable.

What is the point in developing technology to make a material effect on the reduction of harmful emissions if people who think they know better just remove it? A diesel with a functioning DPF reduces particulate emissions by up to 99% - they are absolutely crucial. Diesels originally fitted with a DPF which no longer have one should not be on the road and hopefully now with these changes they won't be.

Soldato
Wow that HID one is going to affect a lot of people then. Whether or not it only gets applied to the “mk4 Golf with 8000k xenons” crew or a more tasteful 5500k upgrade with the correct shield over the top of the bulb remains to be seen I guess.

I fully agree with the DPF removal one and agree that there should be a further penalty.

Soldato

What is the point in developing technology to make a material effect on the reduction of harmful emissions if people who think they know better just remove it? A diesel with a functioning DPF reduces particulate emissions by up to 99% - they are absolutely crucial. Diesels originally fitted with a DPF which no longer have one should not be on the road and hopefully now with these changes they won't be.

100% agree.

Soldato

Either people will buy second hand dpfs to pass the mot then swap out once they've done it. Or most diesels will just get scrapped which I think the government is hoping on. I passed smoke and emissions just fine with mine. 0.15 or whatever it was.

Back
Top Bottom