Changes to MOT test coming into effect from May 2018

Soldato
On my E-Class Merc the DRLs stay lit after you lock the car. And indeed they light when you unlock it on the remote and it is dark. Isnt this the same for most cars which light when you unlock them? I realise that these inspections only apply to MY18 and newer vehicles, but right now dont even new cars do this?

It's saying "may not", meaning that on some cars the DRLs don't come on unless the engine is running and/or the handbrake is off. On my SEAT Leon they come on with the ignition, on my parents Mazda3 they don't, you have the have the engine on and the handbrake off. I think the testing advice is just trying to account for all possibilities.

Soldato
Most of these changes are to catch out diesel owners who gutted their DPF, which is a good thing.

And the ***** who drive around with aftermarket HID's blinding half the population.

These two are the most important IMO, and are likely to catch a good number of people out.

Caporegime
My BMW has the brake pad warning light removed because of a wiring fault that I couldn't be bothered to track down.

If the tester knows there should be a light (doubtful) would it now fail on this because it needs to come on and go out with ignition like an ABS light?

Soldato
And the ***** who drive around with aftermarket HID's blinding half the population.

These two are the most important IMO, and are likely to catch a good number of people out.

If you thought hids were bad. Get a pair of nighteye led bulbs. They are extremely bright. Like stupidly bright.

Soldato
It's not like aftermarket bulbs are the only things blinding people on the roads. I was so blinded by a new Merc SUV the other night I nearly went off the road. It is honestly less bright to look directly into my headlights :confused:

Caporegime
It's not like aftermarket bulbs are the only things blinding people on the roads. I was so blinded by a new Merc SUV the other night I nearly went off the road. It is honestly less bright to look directly into my headlights :confused:

Lots of new car headlights are blinding when they are oncoming. Its ridiculous. Every car with these stupidly bright headlights should have a system like on new BMW's where it detects oncoming traffic and splits the beam.

Soldato
Badly adjusted headlights on new cars, which don't get picked up until the first MOT is quite common it seems :/

Also the auto-dimming nonsense that sometimes likes to blind people for a few seconds before it reacts...

Last edited:
Soldato
One of the new peugeots I think 008 or whatever it is has stupidly bright head lights. From far they look like police lights because of the blue light reflections you get from xenon projectors. Very confusing sometimes as they always tend to get driven at speed.

Associate
most of these changes seem v worthwhile, especially if they catch removed DPFs and aftermarket HIDs, but I feel bad for anyone in recent years who've bought a 2nd hand cars unaware that the previous owner has done these mods, and they get stung with a bill to fix.

Soldato
most of these changes seem v worthwhile, especially if they catch removed DPFs and aftermarket HIDs, but I feel bad for anyone in recent years who've bought a 2nd hand cars unaware that the previous owner has done these mods, and they get stung with a bill to fix.

Maybe so, but the onus is on the buyer to check these things out.

For VAG cars you can download the VAG DPF app, connect an OBD scanner to the car and check in seconds whether the DPF is present.

Soldato
Me and a friend have the same car. His has optional factory Xenons and I have a HID kit. At night, with the cars parked next to each other you literally cannot tell the difference. They have the same beam pattern and height. If anything, his are brighter than mine and more dazzling. People who have HIDs aimed really high or have them in reflector lenses should have their cars crushed, but in projector lenses I have no issues with them. LEDs can dazzle just as much if not more. If I have halogens in my headlights I can barely see anything, it's almost as though they don't work.

DPF removers on the other hand are scum. Any sign that it's been tampered with and they should receive a fine. Either that or manufacturers should be forced to do more about it (integrate it into more of the exhaust system etc) Diesels without a DPF smell horrendous.

Man of Honour
Well aside from the people who put the originals in for the MOT, it might reduce the number of blinding headlights on old cars.
And pretty much every Vauxhall. Most of them seem to also have the stick on tat 'DRL' strips glued on the front somewhere as well which can be annoyingly bright.

Back
Top Bottom