Caporegime
How about a different topic to the usual Trump/DailyFail/muslamics etc... something bordering on the inane perhaps :)

I've noticed on whatsapp, slack, FB messenger groups that Black and Asian(as in Indian/Pakistani etc...) people are now generally using the black/brown hand emojis - i.e. The thumbs up etc... and white people are using the white ones etc...

I've just generally used the yellow ones seeing them as a generic/nonspecific 'simpsons' style emoji.

However today I noticed in one group (full of mostly those "millennials" we often hear about) that I may have made a faux pas... Someone had made a comment that was generally agreed upon, the brown/black people responded with black/brown etc... thumbs up, there were a few white thumbs up from the white people and there were some of the (what I used to assume to be generic) yellow thumbs up responses from myself and some Asian(as in Chinese/Japanese etc...) people.

Now this made me stop and think, I was the only white person using the yellow thumbs up and as someone who in real life is perhaps a bit more sensitive to political correctness than I might be in discussions on here, and given it is [current year], I'm wondering if I've engaged in the heinous crime of "cultural appropriation"?

Are the yellow hand symbols not (as I have generally considered them to be) generic but actually Asian? I guess further to this with emojis originating in Japan this would make sense.

So GD, especially if you're from some background other than that kind of Asian, do you still use the yellow emojis or do you use the various shades of white/black/brown ones instead? Or indeed if you're Asian, do you consider the yellow emojis to be your emojis?

Also are faces different? It does seem that the regular smiley faces are still used as generic emojis (I guess some of them only come in that colour too) I've only noticed this segregated use with regards to the hand symbols.

Man of Honour
I rarely use emoji's and usually just the ASCII text equivalent if I do use "smilies" - I'm sure that offends someone somewhere.

Caporegime
I use a small handful of emoji's on Facebook and only use the default ones... In Skype for business at work I don't use them on purpose, but some ASCII ones turn into graphical ones which is fine.

And I use them all on here of course! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom