• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU prices go boom

Soldato
But gamers will always be there, mining could be gone tomorrow. Hence it makes sense that if they care about money, they must care about gamers. Last I checked gamers make up for half or over half their revenue. Nvidia are not stupid, as much as they want to maximise the amount of profit they can make out of gamers, they do not want to do anything to scare them away, as this will be bad for them in the long term when it comes to making money. That is what I think anyway.

Not really. Lots of gamers have grown up and those are the ones that have money. Like me, many have left the scene due to the moronic prices.

Soldato
https://gyazo.com/d88a18a234073e8a3bd8bc777af671d8
page-98
d88a18a234073e8a3bd8bc777af671d8
d88a18a234073e8a3bd8bc777af671d8

It's stuff like this that pains me. :(

Associate
I dillied and dallied on upgrading my machine for some time and now I'm stuck. Really wanted to make the jump to 4k gaming by first getting building a ryzen system then waiting for volta to come out but at current pricing that's totally unrealistic. At 1080p I'm ok and most games run @ 60fps (i5-750 @ 3.8ghz, 12GB DDR3 and MSI R9 390 gaming). I was keen to jump into getting an Xbox 1 X but when comparing the R9 390 to the GPU in the console it's quite similar really, so I'm kinda stuck. The kicker for my system is going to be the CPU, as long as consoles continue to drive AAA game development I should be ok I guess.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Not really. Lots of gamers have grown up and those are the ones that have money. Like me, many have left the scene due to the moronic prices.
Hence why I said "After all they do need to make sure they are able to offer cards to PC gamers as we are a huge chunk of their overall revenue".

Associate
Havent been keeping an eye on prices lately as haven't been doing a lot of gaming due to personal reasons. I paid £750 for my 1080ti strix and can see its now listed at nearly £1000. Without trolling through 98 pages of posts, whats caused such a demand/increase on price?

Permabanned
Havent been keeping an eye on prices lately as haven't been doing a lot of gaming due to personal reasons. I paid £750 for my 1080ti strix and can see its now listed at nearly £1000. Without trolling through 98 pages of posts, whats caused such a demand/increase on price?

Several reasons, prices have gone up anyway, miners bought all the cards, exchange rates.

Soldato

Lack of supply and high demand basically. People blame 'the miners' but its a combination of things, shortage of RAM, Nvidia stopping production of old chips to focus on new ones etc.

Soldato
Am I expecting too much expecting a top end GPU from AMD or Nvidia to realistically cost 350 max and to get maybe a second below top end for 250 or less? That's how it used to be. I remember getting an X800XT PE for 200 quid and that was the most powerful GPU at the time with an amazing 16 pipelines and now the equivilant high end would be 800 quid.

Soldato
Am I expecting too much expecting a top end GPU from AMD or Nvidia to realistically cost 350 max and to get maybe a second below top end for 250 or less? That's how it used to be. I remember getting an X800XT PE for 200 quid and that was the most powerful GPU at the time with an amazing 16 pipelines and now the equivilant high end would be 800 quid.

Short answer.

Yes.

Back
Top Bottom