Indoor rowing - Concept 2

Soldato
So much for me getting back on it properly this week. I think I've damaged a tendon in my wrist/hand climbing yesterday, not a chance of rowing this morning as I can barely move it, let alone grip a handle or pull on it. Getting really frustrated this year! :(

Soldato
I bought myself a new Model D recently. Super happy with it. I did a bit of the Beginner Pete Plan a while ago, but I got lazy. So properly getting back into the rowing now. I tend to do a few 500m/1 min rest intervals, up to about 2k in the mornings. Need to build it slowly to do 5k. Are there any plans to work you up to 5k out there?

Soldato
I bought myself a new Model D recently. Super happy with it. I did a bit of the Beginner Pete Plan a while ago, but I got lazy. So properly getting back into the rowing now. I tend to do a few 500m/1 min rest intervals, up to about 2k in the mornings. Need to build it slowly to do 5k. Are there any plans to work you up to 5k out there?

There is a Pete Plan 5k! I think he does recommend working your way through the BPP first though to get your fitness up. I'm hoping to get back on the erg next week, my hand seems to be OK with pulling on all four fingers and doing nothing is annoying me.

Soldato
There is a Pete Plan 5k! I think he does recommend working your way through the BPP first though to get your fitness up. I'm hoping to get back on the erg next week, my hand seems to be OK with pulling on all four fingers and doing nothing is annoying me.

Ah yeah. Just noticed. That 5k plan isn't what I was looking for though I don't think. Looks like training for racing 5k. I wanted training to work up to 5k :p Then do the Beginner plan.

Soldato
A big day for me today. Just managed to row 2k in 6:52.8. I had written off ever seeing sub-7 again in my lifetime. Absolutely buzzing!

Soldato
I've just taken up the gym and started to row as part of a good cardio work out.
Last week I managed 1000m in 5:25 with a 2:38/500m (30s/m). This week I decided to increase it to 2000m and gave myself 12 mins to complete it. I managed it in 10:32.7 with a 2:38/500m (26s/m). I'm very pleased with that for someone who is physically unfit at the age of 30.

Soldato
I've just taken up the gym and started to row as part of a good cardio work out.
Last week I managed 1000m in 5:25 with a 2:38/500m (30s/m). This week I decided to increase it to 2000m and gave myself 12 mins to complete it. I managed it in 10:32.7 with a 2:38/500m (26s/m). I'm very pleased with that for someone who is physically unfit at the age of 30.
Good going. I first took up rowing because I needed to get fit, and after a bit of research, rowing struck me as the best all-over body workout I had access to at the time. I think it makes an excellent feature of a fitness program.

Others on here are far more expert, and can no doubt help, but I'd say, for anyone new to rowing, attention to technique will have a massive effect on your performance.

Overall my advice would be to think of it as purely a workout for your legs, and the function of the rest of the body is to be as efficient as possible in helping transfer the power from your legs into the handle.

That, and remember that first your legs fire (with the seat moving back in unison with the handle)

Then your back rocks back

Then your arms help the bar come back a bit further, before then essentially doing all of that in reverse.

1L0nDeV.gif

Soldato
I've been going to the gym 3 or 4 times a week for the last 2 months now. I've put together a workout program that includes quite a few rowing distances just as benchmarks to hopefully monitor progress. After the 2k success last Thursday I decided to have a go at 10k and hoped for sub40. Managed 39:23.1 which was fantastic.

Today I tried to see how fast I could manage 500m today. Never tried that particular distance before. Was surprisingly apprehensive. I was hoping to go sub 1:30. Managed 1:27.4. Pretty pleased.

It's a funny one - was fairly out of breath immediately afterwards, and felt "body-shocked" but that abated fast. I was (and am) left with that raw, faintly acid, burn in my throat and lungs.

Soldato
I've been keeping up with the rowing as part of my rehabilitation from fatty back into some sort of shape.

I managed a 1m24s 500m row a few weeks back that was a big achievement for me. Since then I've been ill and injured and trying different things.

Next big C2 attempt for me will be bettering my 6:39 PB (from over 15yrs ago) for a 2km.

Never dreamed I'd get anywhere close again so even being in with a shot is exhilarating.

Soldato
Next big C2 attempt for me will be bettering my 6:39 PB (from over 15yrs ago) for a 2km.

Never dreamed I'd get anywhere close again so even being in with a shot is exhilarating.

Impressive! I'm aiming to get sub 7 this year. I was close last year at 7:07 but then managed to screw my achillies and a few months later damaged a flexor unit in my hand. I've been hitting it hard for the last few months and I think I'm back to about where I was this time last year. I really want to see how close I can get to a 38min 10km too but I'm about 45s off of that at the moment.

Soldato
Well rowing's taken a bit of a back seat since my last post - and I've been running instead - but I've had this nagging urge in the back of my head saying, "Push your 2k". As a warm-up at the gym at lunch today I decided to do just that - didn't have the balls to go for a PB (6:39), but decided it'd be excellent to go sub 6:50 - managed 6:48.1 so very pleased. It was tough but not utterly awful, and my legs felt heavy halfway which I think was due to not eating anything for breakfast or lunch, so I'm thinking that with some proper fuel inside me, and on a cooler day, I might be able to get fairly close to 6:39...

Soldato
I'm adopting this thread as my own personal training log!

I managed to beat my 2k pb - by one whole second!

:rolleyes:

It *still* counts!

6m38.00s

A horrible experience, but really pleased to have done it.

Soldato
I managed to beat my 2k pb - by one whole second!

:rolleyes:

It *still* counts!

6m38.00s

Nice one! A second is still a lot when you're down to those sort of speeds.

I've not done a 2k test for a while but I was planning on entering the BRIC or the EIRC at the end of this year. I've joined an online indoor rowing club for a bit of motivation and it looks like I'm fairly competitive for a lightweight so should do OK.

I had a crack a the C2 Cross Team Challenge this morning and managed to do 2,818m in 10:14.5 averaging a 1:49 pace, pleased with that and could probably knock some off too as I was a bit conservative over the first split.

Back
Top Bottom