• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How much does your graphics card really cost?

Soldato
True, but if it lasts you 3 years that's (roughly) £20 a month. If you buy a £240 GPU every year that's still £20 a month.

Or if you sell before the new ones are released and go without for a couple of months and then get the new gen, in the last few gens my upgrade has cost me anywhere from £100 to £-65, from selling GPU's I originally bought 5 years ago. Yes at some point originally I had to stump up the full price and at some point I will have to again, but in the meantime upgrading is not actually costing me very much.

Associate
Are we forgetting to add the cost of actually using the card aswell? I wouldn't know how to work it out but it's still a cost.

So if you never sell a card on and keep it forever it ends up costing you 1p per month. This isn't something that's going to catch on lol.

Associate
I don't really count it by months either. Seems... like it's just trying to put a nice spin on things but doesn't really give the real cost (what it cost to buy at the time; since you don't pay by installments most of the time anyway).

Anyway from my currently in use and recent cards (that I remember or can search in email archives for prices for):
RX 580 8GB, bought for £299.99. Currently at £299.99 a month; about to split that in two though. :)
HD7950 3GB, bought for £299.79. Last month before it died was at £4.17 a month (72 months; 6 years)
HD7750 1GB, bought for £79.99. Currently at £1.11 a month (72 months; 6 years)
Matrox Mystique 4MB, bought for £119.99. Currently at 45p a month. (264 months, 20 years)

Again, in none of my instances was the payment spread out over that period of time. If I didn't have the money for them then when I got them, I wouldn't have had them.

Soldato
Are we forgetting to add the cost of actually using the card aswell? I wouldn't know how to work it out but it's still a cost.

So if you never sell a card on and keep it forever it ends up costing you 1p per month. This isn't something that's going to catch on lol.

Basically, some people are having a tough time conceiving how anyone can have an opinion or method of deciding something that differs from their own. They also seem to be struggling with concepts like inflation, exchange rates, "supply and demand" and release dates / release day pricing.

Caporegime
This is it, it doesnt matter how much you say "I wouldnt pay £900 for a 1080ti" anything you do say to point out how ridiculous some of the tantrums are, you apparently become "one of them" and you are supporting GPU prices being a million pounds each. Welcome to crazy town.
Until very recently, it was not normal to be able to sell your GPU 12 months later for the same amount you bought it new. Or even make a profit.

To suggest that GPUs actually aren't expensive based on this logic is... asking for trouble. With the (extremely apparent) volatility of the crypto market, suggesting you you spend a fortune because it's going to hold its resale value (or even appreciate) is a gamble. Pure and simple.

I would not recommend people break their budgets with the expectation that their GPU will hold its value. Crypto is too unpredictable.

Basically, some people are having a tough time conceiving how anyone can have an opinion or method of deciding something that differs from their own. They also seem to be struggling with concepts like inflation, exchange rates, "supply and demand" and release dates / release day pricing.

I could just as easily say of you, that you have a hard time appreciating that GPUs are not "worth it at any price", and that "Why don't you all just suck it up?" is not a convincing argument. That's been your attitude across all the threads. "Pay it and shut up."

Soldato
You do reaslise you just quoted me saying I would not pay £900 for a 1080ti" in order to accuse me of saying "GPU's are worth any price, suck it up", right?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Stop RTMing posts that don’t agree with your opinion. What I see is the same tired arguments, but ones which don’t break the rules.

Keep it civil and debate with reason :)

Caporegime
You do reaslise you just quoted me saying I would not pay £900 for a 1080ti" in order to accuse me of saying "GPU's are worth any price, suck it up", right?
I don't instantly forget all the myriad other posts you've made in other threads, like how you have said that if we just "stopped complaining" and bought a card today, then mined with it whilst we weren't gaming on it, we could "have a cheap GPU" after selling the mined coins. And how we "wouldn't need to turn the heating on" if we had a mining rig.

How we basically aren't seeing the opportunity because we're too busy "whinging" about prices.

So yeah, I don't just forget all that after one contrary post :p

Also lol, I know I haven't RTM'd anyone, so... I guess you must be fairly upset? Never knew I could offend someone so much with a little (usually polite) commentary comparing console prices to GPU prices :p

Soldato
I don't instantly forget all the myriad other posts you've made in other threads, like how you have said that if we just "stopped complaining" and bought a card today, then mined with it whilst we weren't gaming on it, we could "have a cheap GPU" after selling the mined coins. And how we "wouldn't need to turn the heating on" if we had a mining rig.

How we basically aren't seeing the opportunity because we're too busy "whinging" about prices.

So yeah, I don't just forget all that after one contrary post :p

Also lol, I know I haven't RTM'd anyone, so... I guess you must be fairly upset? Never knew I could offend someone so much with a little (usually polite) commentary comparing console prices to GPU prices :p

I think you've confused me with the voices in your head. I know I've definitely never said people should use crypto to heat their house and I'd love to see you quote me on any of the rest of it.

Yes, I have a mining rig, however it isn't my gaming rig and buying my 1080ti crypto never entered in to it and didn't come anywhere in funding it - the sale of the previous cards covered it.
I've repeatedly said people should NOT buy a card today, so again you are taking whatever I have actually said and taking it to opposite world just to try and cause an argument. Weird.

this is from a month ago;
I wouldnt pay the current inflated price gouging prices though no. But then I wouldnt buy a new GPU when it is within a couple of months of being EOL either.

so the complete opposite of what you claim "I said"

I've actually agreed with you on many points e.g. don't buy a card now, if you only play console games then just buy a console, but you are "completely ignoring" my posts, in your own words, and creating complete strawman posts as demonstrated here.

The only thing I have said, is that if someone makes a different choice to console, they don't deserve the level of vitriol being directed at them here. Particularly on a forum not dedicated to consoles.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My pc hardware cost me my relationship!
Seriously?

My hardware has been a real plus in my marriage. I used to go out drinking with mates a lot and spending a lot of hard earned money on booze. Now the Mrs (married for 24 years) is well happy, as I am home and my PC costs far less than what I have spent on beer.

Back
Top Bottom