Best antivirus on the market?

Soldato
Common sense, ublock origin and Windows Defender is all you should need.

This honestly.

Common sense means staying away from dodgy sites, don't open dodgy emails, don't install dodgy applications and don't give remote access to absolutely anyone.
Keep Windows / your browser up to date and your will be fine.

Most importantly keep the stuff you would never want to lose backed up away from your main machine so that if required a full wipe is something that wouldn't concern you.

V F

V F

Soldato
I never had a performance hit. I saw no difference with gaming between Norton and Nod32.

Soldato
I'd still be using Kaspersky but Barclays dropped the free subscription so switched to Bit Defender which is a bit more proactive (plus other features) than just Windows Defender alone. Windows Defender + regular scans with Malwarebytes is still a good combination though.

You can configure your DNS to 9.9.9.9 (pre-filtered DNS domains - Quad9) for a a bit more protection or for the more technical 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare) with some configuration of encrypted DNS services adds to anonymity along with a good VPN service of course.

Last edited:
Soldato
While windows 10 has the defender more useful, I will always carry on using AVG basic and should I need to then I will always use malwarebytes, both free and both are very good, I have that bitfence or whatever it’s call that came with software unrelated, but it’s just a trial, so I either switch it off or delete them.

Associate
Windows Defender is actually pretty good, along with Malwarebytes.

I used uBlock Origin in my web browsers to block annoying ads and scrips that run in the background.

There is no real need to buy consumer level anti-virus.

Ree

Ree

Associate
been using norton for years and not an issue £25 for 10 devices is well worth it imo for peace of mind for a year.

Associate
I use malwarebytes as a paid for options, its very very good for malware.
MSE is ok for virus checking, not the best but still not overly bad. I use Mcafee and Sophos at work (depending on machine) and to be honest... neither seem worth the outlay over MSE.Malwarebytes

Finally i use pihole as a DNS filter on my lan, do yourself a big favour and setup our own dns server.

Soldato
EDIT: The guy who runs this YouTube account is a malware analyst for Emsisoft, so I guess he knows more than the average IT tech guy.

Last edited:
Soldato
EDIT: The guy who runs this YouTube account is a malware analyst for Emsisoft, so I guess he knows more than the average IT tech guy.
He also has a financial interest in selling anti virus software. Plus he's deliberately being dumb in running unknown executables. Brain.exe would go to the software author's site and download a known safe file.

Soldato
Disco_P said:
He also has a financial interest in selling anti virus software.
He's not done any reviews on his channel for Emsisoft since he's been working there for the last 2-3 years.
Disco_P said:
Plus he's deliberately being dumb in running unknown executables. Brain.exe would go to the software author's site and download a known safe file.
Doesn't stop hackers infiltrating and modifying files with backdoor viruses, just like crapcleaner last year.

Back
Top Bottom