What watch do you wear?

Man of Honour
I got an Orient Mako 2 a couple of months ago and have been wearing it on the original bracelet, but think this navy Nato from toxicnatos.com really sets it off:

It doesn't have the metal keepers on the strap, and I prefer them this way - a little more low-profile. It just has one cloth keeper next to the buckle, so the folded-over and tucked in bit of the strap is under my wrist, rather than on the side like a more regular Nato.

Mako is a great watch, pushes WAY above its weight really!

My only gripe was the same I had with the Longines, that the lume isn't very bright, nor does it last very long. I opted for the Mako pro which was from Orient Uhren, these come pre-modified with multi-layer Superluminova B3, and sent the Longines away to be modded with the same stuff.

Associate
Yeah the lume is pretty weak - I've got a steel version of the Ray Mears-type Citizen Eco-Drives and the lume on that is fantastic in comparison: all-night glow and it's a lovely pale blue. It's a bit of a pity on the Mako, as the Explorer-type layout gives loads of area to light up.

Caporegime
If you looked on their website, the UK prices range from approximately £90 for a Quartz movement to £210 for an automatic watch. So I'd take a guess he's looking in that sort of price range.
Why am I going to waste time guessing if its 100 or 200 and looking at all the models when he can just tell us? .:confused:

Man of Honour
Why do some watches cost £1000, yet others cost £10k or £80k?

Watchfinders shows you the details, and there are so many of those details :eek:

Personally I don't like any JLC design, but man the workmanship deserves top shelf appreciation for the price point. And then the German A. Lange & Söhne is just on another level.

That is such an odd video to me. You are told that the level of craftsmanship is going to increase - it’s zooms into the detail and it’s interesting, but then the narrator seems to switch into fluff mode sometime when looking at the second watch. “Look at this - it’s better because of some swirly lines that you aren’t even able to see, so it justifies the price”. He made no mention of the actually machinery keeping the watch going. I was expecting him to say the machinery was going to get more complicated but he only really talked about the finishing on the internal parts. He then started going on about things finished by hand being superior than by machine - at this point my bull sensor started going off. I suspect you could design modern complex machinery to do the job - but why would you when it would ruin the mystique of the time it takes to finish these components by hand.

The craftsmanship is impressive, you can’t say otherwise, but in the absence of an explanation as to how it affects the mechanics, it’s all a bit redundant surely? If you like what it looks like and you like the brand then go for it, but more intricate finishing that affects the aesthetics of, predominantly, the inside of a watch, is surely a terrible reason to justify getting one!

Perhaps there were mechanical differences that he could have mentioned but didn’t.

Soldato
Why am I going to waste time guessing if its 100 or 200 and looking at all the models when he can just tell us? .:confused:

Probably wasted as much time writing your first response and that one than perhaps just asking if it was quartz or automatic he was looking at rather than being a bit condescending? Some people might want a watch but don't necessarily know what they're looking for you know.

Caporegime
That is such an odd video to me. You are told that the level of craftsmanship is going to increase - it’s zooms into the detail and it’s interesting, but then the narrator seems to switch into fluff mode sometime when looking at the second watch. “Look at this - it’s better because of some swirly lines that you aren’t even able to see, so it justifies the price”. He made no mention of the actually machinery keeping the watch going. I was expecting him to say the machinery was going to get more complicated but he only really talked about the finishing on the internal parts. He then started going on about things finished by hand being superior than by machine - at this point my bull sensor started going off. I suspect you could design modern complex machinery to do the job - but why would you when it would ruin the mystique of the time it takes to finish these components by hand.

The craftsmanship is impressive, you can’t say otherwise, but in the absence of an explanation as to how it affects the mechanics, it’s all a bit redundant surely? If you like what it looks like and you like the brand then go for it, but more intricate finishing that affects the aesthetics of, predominantly, the inside of a watch, is surely a terrible reason to justify getting one!

Perhaps there were mechanical differences that he could have mentioned but didn’t.

Art innit, you can’t put a price on it, or you can. But not where you can see it day to day, just know it’s there.

Man of Honour
The finishing is what you're paying for. Some of those pieces take many man hours to finish by hand and it's that level of craftsmanship you are paying for.

Using the same thinking to cars, a car like a Singer 911 costs over £300,000, is it over £230,000 better than a factory Porsche 964 911? Certainly not, but to appreciate why it costs so you you have to look closely at every single detail. On watches you'd put on a loupe to see those details, the scale is just vastly different on the car above.

Will other people appreciate those details? No, most likely not. A watch is a watch, it tells the time. But on watches like those it's more than just a movement keeping accurate time, it's the entire package and its presentation and the individuality you are paying for.

bbf61bc8-a8f9-434c-90d5-22d0fc4303f6
Just received this today :) (Camera makes it look a bit worn in places but it's spotless in life)

5Se2zLi.jpg

Damn that that's a nice looking watch, I don't think I would've of considered a Citizen but for £250 that is temping.

Associate
Probably wasted as much time writing your first response and that one than perhaps just asking if it was quartz or automatic he was looking at rather than being a bit condescending? Some people might want a watch but don't necessarily know what they're looking for you know.

Forgot I even posted in this thread because I was on Reddit at the same time, at the time I was looking at the Mako 2 by Orient, But I just went with a Seiko watch as it was a bit cheaper.

3qdejQe.jpg
30jI1yX

Associate
Hi, can you tell me what the model no. of the Seiko is please?

Forgot I even posted in this thread because I was on Reddit at the same time, at the time I was looking at the Mako 2 by Orient, But I just went with a Seiko watch as it was a bit cheaper.

30jI1yX

Soldato
Lovely watch :)

Have the Calibre 5 day-date.

Are there any better watches for the bduget? The only negatives I've read is that while it's a nice watch, it's significantly over what it should be for the type of movement.

Whilst that isn't massively important to me, I guess a few things do!

1. Reliability
2. That it has a bit of heritage in its field (so really looking at Swiss primarily
3. That it has a classic look - So not face with 19 dials and a tachometer

Welcome any recommendations!

Back
Top Bottom