Understanding Data written usage on SSD's

Associate
It won't be how steam downloads. It's because of SLC caching. The first X amount is written into an SLC buffer for faster performance, but this causes much high write amplication as that data then later needs to be rewritten out in TLC mode.

Associate
I wouldn't worry; I've got an old 256GB Samsung 830 in my desktop, which has been there since 2013 or so. I've just used it like normal, with lots of steam games downloaded / updated / patched / reinstalled. Around 15TB written in total, and the health is still absolutely 'good' according to the Samsung magician software.

I'd say you'll be fine!

It won't be how steam downloads. It's because of SLC caching. The first X amount is written into an SLC buffer for faster performance, but this causes much high write amplication as that data then later needs to be rewritten out in TLC mode.

Interesting, is this unavoidable then? If I write data to the drive I will always write twice the amount of data due to write amplification? I've had a bit of a google but it's a little complicated.

Back
Top Bottom