Winning games! Do you really care?

Associate
My Nephew is a gamer which is great!

Only he is a bit too competitive for my taste (e.g. his sole mission is to beat me/others). Now I am a casual/rubbish player. If I win a match/race which is rare, said nephew is a bit of a sore loser.

Now, don't get me wrong. If I play an online multiplayer game and get repeatedly whupped - I tend to give it go and when the times right, bail and move on to another server. I always hope that I will be matched with others of my caliber. :o

Using my Nephew as an example, who will watch whatever YouTuber elite/alien gamer and learn the tricks of the trade... (cheating if you ask me)

Obviously there is a generation gap, as I usually learn on the fly (crash and burn) and suck up the humiliation.

Is this a generation thing? Do you rage quit or persevere?

Soldato
It's a personality thing, he wants to win and does his research. No different than looking at gaming magazines back in the day for the tricks.

Winning isn't a problem, being a bad winner is. If he's one of those he'll have fewer people who want to play him, his lost tbh.

Associate
OP
It's a personality thing, he wants to win and does his research. No different than looking at gaming magazines back in the day for the tricks.

Winning isn't a problem, being a bad winner is. If he's one of those he'll have fewer people who want to play him, his lost tbh.

Very good points.

I never thought like this; even though I was an avid PC magazine reader back in the day and as you say, guides/walk through's are the equivalent of You Tubers nowadays.

Associate
Eh.. I don't play online games to lose, I'd like to win all the time if possible, Games can make people rage at times due to various reasons.

Soldato
If I've paid £40 then I like to see the end credits, even if it means dropping down to baby level to get there. Nothing worse than games which put a really hard mission or quest with no means of getting past it. Last doom was an example of that, when you have to fight the mid-game boss twice in a row - just couldn't do it. COD could also stick you at a point where you couldn't progress beyond the last checkpoint.

I like games with multiple means of getting to the end-game or indeed more than one ending, such as the Beth titles or Deus Ex. The old Wing Commander games were great as if you lost a couple of missions you went onto a "comeback" path where you could claw back to victory.

GTA SA for all its greatness was probably one of the worst example. If you got stuck on certain missions such as the bouncing caror dance mat there was no other way forward. GTA V recognized this and did give you the option of skipping forward after several failed attempts.

Caporegime
Depends. I play PUBG with a good friend often. He used to get pretty mardy at us if we lost. I stopped playing with him for a while because it was just daft, stupid expectations to win every game. It got to the point where it wasn't fun. Winning at online games is why you play, but realistically it doesn't 'bother' me, it's a game.

Now if were playing local Mario Kart, I'm winning. ;)

Permabanned
Man of Honour
I'm not focused on winning - but I really hate those people who you kill like 30 times in a row then they get one kill on you (usually by luck) and then they start mouthing off, **** talking, trashing your skill level, etc. definitely have something not quite right up top.

Worked with 1-2 people like that IRL - its really obnoxious their ego doesn't seem to take it very well if you are right and they are wrong a few times then they go out of their way to try and catch you out, automatically disagree with everything you say, etc. then have a massive party that one time you are wrong like it is some kind of big deal.

While I'm not particularly motivated by winning I do have a hard time not taking gaming seriously and I hate losing due to external factors - if a game has silly mechanics intended to force "balance" skill or can't keep up with me due to clunky mechanics or laggy input, etc. I find that very annoying - even when playing PVE coop, etc.

Soldato
I haven't been a competitive player at anything since letting go of WoW after TBC. That was my golden age, getting scalped to other guilds and server firsts etc.

Now I just don't have the time or attention span to be good enough at anything to care about winning. I play Overwatch because I can get on, play a game and leave within 20 minutes. A bit of BF1 when i fancy something different.

Recently started investing a little more time into "me" time, after the 5MO goes to bed, so picked up Total War Warhammer 2 and struggling to get good nub.

Soldato
Depends on the context really.

If I'm playing rocket league competitive with randoms, then winning / getting better so I can win more is pretty much the main aim, so I do care. If I have a game where everyone plays well and I end up loosing narrowly though, then that would still be a good game of course. If I'm playing like trash and I keep loosing the game for myself and my random teammates, then I'll probably just turn the game off before long as I wont be having fun.

If I'm messing around with mates on casual with some beers, then I couldn't care less if we win or not, its all about having a laugh, though winning is still nice when it happens.

Not that I actually play rocket league anymore... Mostly because caring about if your winning / playing well gets stressful after a while.

Caporegime
My Nephew is a gamer which is great!

Only he is a bit too competitive for my taste (e.g. his sole mission is to beat me/others). Now I am a casual/rubbish player. If I win a match/race which is rare, said nephew is a bit of a sore loser.

Now, don't get me wrong. If I play an online multiplayer game and get repeatedly whupped - I tend to give it go and when the times right, bail and move on to another server. I always hope that I will be matched with others of my caliber. :o

Using my Nephew as an example, who will watch whatever YouTuber elite/alien gamer and learn the tricks of the trade... (cheating if you ask me)

Obviously there is a generation gap, as I usually learn on the fly (crash and burn) and suck up the humiliation.

Is this a generation thing? Do you rage quit or persevere?

i wish youtube and twitch was around when i was in my teens.

i've learnt everything i know on the fly like you and it shows. people who watch good players learn things you just wouldn't think of doing.

Soldato
I didn't really play to win as much as I was very competitive. I was part of an online racing team (racing in a league using the GTP mod in NASCAR 2003) in 'real' races of up to 24 hours. For some of our early races we put in staggering amounts of practice prior to races - there was one race where we had to retire an hour or 2 into a race, so instead of chilling and watching the rest of the race we started testing for the next race, which was still a month away!

Alongside that I did a lot of online Grand Prix Legends races and I'm somewhat ashamed to say I didn't always respond well if someone punted me off (I didn't mind not winning if someone was better though - I liked racing the slower cars for more of a challenge for example).

My gaming now is much more relaxed, and often with no end goal as such. Games such as Farming Simulator and things.

Associate
I use be very bad with FIFA years back, multiple controllers were broke.

Now I switched to PC and mostly play H1Z1/PUBG I'm use to losing in those games I've calmed down.

Obviously I set out to win all the time but with those types of games it's not easy.

Back
Top Bottom