Would you like a receipt Sir

Soldato
I have just noticed recently that I am being asked if I want a receipt - usually I say no - one in particular was a supermarket petrol station where I said yes - when he printed it off I also got three £5 off petrol vouchers -- If I had said no would the voucher have come out anyway or could the assistant have pocketed them.

The other was a high street practice and I said no - on the way home I thought about it and thought is there a VAT or tax fiddle on this - anyone know or had same thing asked of them.?

Caporegime
Co-op always ask, not everyone wants receipts.

They still give me vouchers though.

I always get a fuel receipt as I claim mileage through work and need to justify it, but will only get a receipt from a small purchase of food/drink if my other half has asked me to get something specifically for her, so she can give me the money for it

Permabanned
I thought it was just being green.
I never usually want a receipt, just if I was planning to claim expense.
Sainsbury's self-service checkouts even ask you now.
ASDA self-service checkouts take so damn long, then print your receipt after you've given up and walked off; always a big pile of recepits printed out from previous people who've done the same.

Associate
Yeah noticed more and more shops asking me this recently. Sainsburys self service tills now ask if you want one, whilst until recently it always gave one.

Soldato
A lot of supermarkets don't print the receipts now, unless the operator presses the button to print it, you would be surprised how much money they save, times the amount of stores they have, not printing a receipt

Soldato
I have just noticed recently that I am being asked if I want a receipt - usually I say no - one in particular was a supermarket petrol station where I said yes - when he printed it off I also got three £5 off petrol vouchers -- If I had said no would the voucher have come out anyway or could the assistant have pocketed them.

The other was a high street practice and I said no - on the way home I thought about it and thought is there a VAT or tax fiddle on this - anyone know or had same thing asked of them.?

Lots of places have started asking if you want the receipt or not but most of these places will press a button to print it if you want it so highly doubt he was trying to keep the vouchers for himself. Also the vouchers are probably issued randomly so he wouldn't know that you were getting the vouchers until they printed off when you said yes to a receipt.

Morrisons no longer issue receipts at the cigarette kiosk only if you ask for it where they will proceed to press a button to print it. You might think the savings are insignificant, but if every store saves a whole receipt roll a day x how many stores in the company, it soon adds up to a big saving.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve noticed quite a few clothes shops ask for your email now to email your receipt instead of printing one. Probably why I get spam mail more than ever. It’s also Quite annoying standing there having to spell it out to them because they can’t understand what your saying.Would be hilarious having a rude or explicit email address name to give in just for a laugh.

Caporegime
Receipts in pubs annoy me. I see no need for them. The product is consumed on the spot, if it’s bad, you just tell them, why a receipt, unless people actually have the nerve to put their Wetherspoons receipts through the books.

Man of Honour
always ask for your receipt at McDonlads, they have a survey on them and you get Bigmac n Fries for £1.99 on your next visit.. rinse and repeat ;)

Caporegime
Getting a receipt from Maccy Ds seems beyond difficult at times.

If we're all about saving paper and ink, someone needs to tell Waitrose to come up with a more streamlined receipt. The amount of paper it prints for one item is laughable.

Soldato
Receipts in pubs annoy me. I see no need for them. The product is consumed on the spot, if it’s bad, you just tell them, why a receipt, unless people actually have the nerve to put their Wetherspoons receipts through the books.

Expenses? :p
Although in principal, I agree. I have a habit of putting all receipts in my wallet. So I have to have a clear out every few weeks. I really only need to keep receipts for big purchases.

Last edited:
Soldato
I always assumed that this was because so many people leave them in self service machines that they realised most people don't care. I'm not coming back for a refund on my lunchtime meal deal! They're probably sick of picking up the unwanted receipts from the self service checkouts.

Back
Top Bottom