Your pet peeves at work?

Associate
People constantly talking about love island.

This ^. It's an everyday occurrence in my office, bar for myself and my closet colleague, who gets as irritated as myself by the constant chatter about it.

Four office hates for me:

Aircon Nazis. I am sick of certain staff moaning about the office being too cold lately, when they are wearing strapless dresses, short skirts and sandals. For those of us not fortunate enough to be able to wear scant clothing (ie the blokes) a warm office is a nightmare in this weather. Zero breeze comes via the windows. If you are cold, you can easily throw on a cardigan. If you are overheating, you can't very easily cool down.

Loud chewers/noisy edibles. I sit directly opposite a girl who does little but eat breakfast bars, crisps all day, along with the general cacophony of people eating breakfast cereal, apples etc. I have a trigger for noisy eating anyway, but seriously - if you want breakfast, have it in the breakout room where the kitchenette is. The rest of us don't need to listen.

Thirdly, management who feel it appropriate to make a negative comment to a staff member in front of the entire office. If you are unhappy with someone's performance, or if a mistake has been made, or you want to outline something that hasn't been done - have some decorum and take that staff member aside or into a private office and raise the issue. A general staff meeting shouldn't be the place to (try and) embarrass workers. It's power-trip nonsense.

Lastly, obdurate emailers. Why email when the colleague you are emailing is adjacent to you?! Just turn around and utter the words in a quarter of the time...

Man of Honour
You’re at your desk enjoying your lunch, browsing, and someone comes over and starts asking you things about work.

Just go away, because I am at my desk does not mean I am at your beck and call :mad:

Or similarly when the phone rings and you leave it because you’re on lunch, somehow you are the villain.

Underboss
Smokers having extra breaks.
People who are loud on the telephone in an open plan office
People who disregard my busy status on Skype and walk up to me anyway.
People who stare at their own phone ringing for ages.
People who dip a wet spoon into the coffee and then the sugar.
People

Soldato
You’re at your desk enjoying your lunch, browsing, and someone comes over and starts asking you things about work.

Just go away, because I am at my desk does not mean I am at your beck and call :mad:

Or similarly when the phone rings and you leave it because you’re on lunch, somehow you are the villain.

Have lunch away from your desk. I have to say if an employee was at their desk and a call came in and they refused to answer it i would not be impressed. But each to their own.

I also have the opposite of this, I like to keep busy at work, while some spend 75% talking crap and then rushing whatever little work they have on; in a small open plan office this is annoying as i have work to be getting on with and need to concentrate - i have taken to wearing headphones and listening to music on some occasions to drown out the chatter! I also do not like going past the 5pm finish, so time manage accordingly, these people are working beyond 5pm (no overtime pay) and constantly whinge - stop talking crap, do your work during the day and get home on time!!!

"People constantly talking about love island even though they claim they don't watch it" - yep, have this at my place of work!

Associate
People leaving the microwave door hanging open and with time on the clock while they walk away.

"Yeah, I'm done here".

Men, not content enough to pee on the toilet and surrounding floor alone, doing so without even bothering to lift the seat.

"Yeah, I'm done here".

Soldato
Oooh there are loads,

1: Collections, sponsorships. Get lost, I don't care who's running 5k or leaving.
2: The dirty beggers that for some bizarre freak of nature have to use a full roll of bog roll and stuff it in bowl... WHY.?
3: The "I'm on a call so everyone else be quiet" people. Nope!
4: The folk that like to advertise they are eating some sort food that social media deems healthy. U'know, Avocado and sunflower seed or some crap. We don't care!
5: The employees that never ever make a brew but accept one. Sackable offence imo.
6: Those that do make a brew who put the milk in before the teabag..... Nnnooooooooo!
7: Parents at that spend every waking hour moaning about their kids, literally 8 hours a day, then post all over social media showing pictures of perfect loveliness. You did the crime now do the time. Now shut up.
8: Smokers who seem to think their addiction entitles them to work less hours than none smokers.
9: Those that turn up to work early and stay late just to give the impression of working hard. If they spent 4 hours working in the day instead of talking about last nights telly and which fashionable diet they are on this week they could work 8 hours.
10: Anyone in the office less than the age of 30, because youth is broken and I want punch everyone of them. (well one is OK the rest can GTFO)

Man of Honour

Or the even worse offence:

“Hey - we agreed to the documents and we need to....”
“Sorry I’m on lunch”
“...errr”

Pretty much indicates the value of said person right there.

But then, I’m probably an absolute tyrant to work for.

Man of Honour
In my organisation there seems to be some thing about keeping tea/coffee spoons in a cup of water. People use this as a sheepdip sort of solution, not washing the spoon after using it just dumping it in the cup of almost always brown water that for some reason exists. This is right next to a sink. Why not just simply rinse it and leave it on the drainer? That has to be better than leaving what is essentially a pot of waste water/coffee/tea/milk/sugar mix for an entire day :o

Man of Honour
9: Those that turn up to work early and stay late just to give the impression of working hard. If they spent 4 hours working in the day instead of talking about last nights telly and which fashionable diet they are on this week they could work 8 hours.)

Aww yis that is very annoying here. People just gassing during the day then putting in 4 hours of 'overtime' in the evening. A few are really bad for it but are great 'talkers' so can sound busy.

In my organisation there seems to be some thing about keeping tea/coffee spoons in a cup of water. People use this as a sheepdip sort of solution, not washing the spoon after using it just dumping it in the cup of almost always brown water that for some reason exists.

..that is vile.

Soldato
Non-technical people in technical roles, or even technical admin roles.

The woman that sits 2 desks away and spends more than 50% of her working week planning and organising the company running group instead of doing her actual job. She's like a running version of a born-again Christian, constantly ramming it down your throat!

Anyone that doesn't have a work ethic equal to or greater than my own.

Soldato
A girl i work with is constantly on her phone, which drives me mad - have recently rpeorted it and was told there had been other complaints. Secondly, i have been there since November 17 and she has had aboit 11 sick days already, unbeleivable.

Soldato
Company merger means I now share a new office with a bunch of new people, and we have a small kitchenette area, with a dishwasher. Yet everyone seems to leave their used crockery and cutlery in the sink :/
I guess their rationale is that the cleaner will do it at the end of the day, but it's irritating when you go to wash your mug and make a fresh cup of tea in the afternoon and first have to clear up everyone else's mess. Just put it in the dishwasher, the kitchen is small enough as it is :/

I am this close to printing a passive aggressive sign.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Mine are:-

1: People who get uppity just because I'm having a conversation with a colleague in the corridor. Is it really so hard to say "excuse me" if they want to get past, I'd happily move every time.

2: People who seem unable to hold a simple conversation. Asking about the weather or what someone has had for lunch are staples of British etiquette. If someone is so socially inept that participate in these ice breakers then then need therapy.

3: People who tut when someone accidentally scrapes the chair against the floor in the canteen when standing up - what's their problem?

Caporegime
Mine are:-

1: People who get uppity just because I'm having a conversation with a colleague in the corridor. Is it really so hard to say "excuse me" if they want to get past, I'd happily move every time.

I'm on the other side of this fence, in that it does my head in when people stand in walkways. They can see you approaching, the know it's a walkway and not a talkway, and yet they'll stand there like a selfish ***** and make you ask to get past as if it's some little power thing. It's not. It's rude.

Back
Top Bottom