My Commodore A500+ restore project

Man of Honour
OP
That is glowing! Now what games are you going to play? :)
I'm limited to the ones I've borrowed at the moment but going back the my favourites that would be Pinball Dreams/Fantasies, Zool, Project X, X-Out, Lemmings, Turrican, Lotus, Superfrog, Cannon Fodder, Alien Breed '92... thats just a quick list off the top of my head :D

Nice. Is the GVP the accelerator too? I had the accelerator and (I think) HDD with it.
No, just HDD and Fast Memory (which I don't think counts?). I'm not sure which game use the fast mem, I got it just as a way of having a HDD connection to later put in a CF card instead :)

Just need to get the FDD working and not smoking :(

Man of Honour
OP
Potentially daft one, but the FDD cable is the right way up?
(I seem to remember that although the connector is "keyed", a lot of Floppy drives tended to have keyways that allowed it to be inserted either way up anyway)
I doubled checked for my sanity and they are the correct way - both power and data are keyed. I think I will open up the FDD out of curiosity and see if anything obvious has gone inside and connect up the spare PSU instead and stand back...

Man of Honour
OP
Today I took apart the two duff FDDs. The first is the one in my Amiga, which didn't audible go pop, but just smelt bad after being powered on for a minute. The second is my friends one which is a different make and design drive.

On the back of the PCB you can see its burnt out.

And didn't take long to see this was the chip responsible.

This is as close as I can get in focus with my phone but shows the top has popped. I looked up the number on the top but nothing came up. Although I wouldn't have the skills to resolder something that small anyway.

And this is my friends one where I couldn't see anything blacked out but the surround of a capacitor dropped off when I took the PCB apart, exposing the inside. I'm guessing that is the problem and might be able to replace that.

I think for now I will get the HD working and get some games going whilst deciding how to proceed in fixing / replacing the FDD.

Man of Honour
OP
Hey, that would be great. I found a site with compatible ones so if you have moment to list the make and model of them that'll be cool.

Soldato
Second one looks more than fixable, leaky cap to replace. Might be worth keeping the first one in case you get one with a good board but faulty drive part.

I got my A500 now too! I'll put some pics up tonight if you don't mind. I need a new membrane though, and one key plunger is cracked and sticks. Works very well using one of those rgb sart to HDMI boxes, I mentioned :)

Soldato
a1.jpg
a2.jpg
a3.jpg
a4.jpg

I splashed out and got a HC508 add on too!

Soldato
Yeah! it came with wb installed etc etc. It just acts like a normal hard drive, it also has an ide port if needed. I'm still finding my feet with it, total amiga noob!

Soldato
I'm struggling with it loads, I was a master at it on the speccy, but all the speeds seem different. I knew all the speeds for all the jumps on the speccy one :D

Man of Honour
OP
I’ve got a CF card and IDE adapter coming tomorrow. There are two common WB type setups to try and you connect the CF card to your PC first and format/partition it in WinUAE and can then attach it to the Amiga. This is easy with an A600 or A1200 as they came with an IDE header inside but as I have the HD addon, I can do it on the A500+. You can buy cards all done for you but it was £45 odd which seemed a lot, so trying it myself first for ~£15.

edit: gg Royal Mail, looks like it'll be Monday now

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom