What's the general consensus on the Corsair RMx PSUs?

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of picking up the Corsair RM1000X PSU but just wanted to see what real user feedback was like?

I'm a little concerned due to Corsair's bad rep in the PSU market over the last few years, is this PSU any different?

Any feedback will be gratefully received, thanks :)

Man of Honour
I've nothing against Corsair but when you can pick up 1000 watt Seasonic PSUs for less money I wouldn't even give Corsair a thought personally.

Man of Honour
The RMx series are excellent units but they suffer from being overpriced. As Rroff says, the Seasonic Focus Plus 1000w is much cheaper (it's £139.99 at the moment/£152.99 normal price) and has everything that the Corsair has so why spend more?

Man of Honour
OP
Thanks guys, I didn't get any emails telling me I had replies :(

The one question is approx £144-£150 delivered so similar price to the Seasonic, main thing is I've got a voucher for a certain store so need to use it there.

JonnyGuru gave it a perfect 10 across the board but read reports of some units dying quickly?

Soldato
Thanks guys, I didn't get any emails telling me I had replies :(

The one question is approx £144-£150 delivered so similar price to the Seasonic, main thing is I've got a voucher for a certain store so need to use it there.

JonnyGuru gave it a perfect 10 across the board but read reports of some units dying quickly?

What system you powering ? Unless you have 1080 ti SLI and a HEDT cpu then you shouldn't need 1000W.

As for which is better they are both very good units. The Corsair will be quieter if that is what you want.

Man of Honour
OP
What system you powering ? Unless you have 1080 ti SLI and a HEDT cpu then you shouldn't need 1000W.

As for which is better they are both very good units. The Corsair will be quieter if that is what you want.

I'll be running a HEDT CPU, Titan X & a full water cooling system with 11 fans, multiple hard drives etc.. so if I hit around 500-600W use that puts it in the most efficient point of the PSU, plus the 1000W models don't seem to cost much more than the 850W's, sometimes less depending on the make/model?

Looking around at feedback/reviews it seems that no one model or make now produces a strong reliable build, they all seem to be made cheaply, even seen a fair amount of bad comments regarding Seasonic, which never used to the case?

Soldato
Review below shows the Titan X Pascal power consumption. The highest it hits is 268W under peak gaming.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/Titan_X_Pascal/22.html
While non-reference models often exceed references consumption, I don't think there's even been non-reference model of Titan X.
And average gaming draw was little over 200W.
So getting over 400W continuous draw in games would require some major overclocking of both CPU and GPU.

11 fans, multiple hard drives
Unless that PC sounds like airplane in take off those fans would consumer about dozen-20 watts at total.
Also HDDs are below 10W per piece.
(below 5W in case of 5400rpm drives)

Soldato
While non-reference models often exceed references consumption, I don't think there's even been non-reference model of Titan X.
And average gaming draw was little over 200W.
So getting over 400W continuous draw in games would require some major overclocking of both CPU and GPU.

Yes that is correct. Think you had to buy them direct from Nvidia as well if I remember correctly (Unless you bought one as part of a system).

Man of Honour
Looking around at feedback/reviews it seems that no one model or make now produces a strong reliable build, they all seem to be made cheaply, even seen a fair amount of bad comments regarding Seasonic, which never used to the case?

Probably people rinsing the **** out of PSUs for mining while not speccing them properly for the power draw.

Soldato
Don't ask why, but I have 5 Seasonic X Gold (2 x 650, 2 x 750, 1 x 1050), 1 Seasonic 760P and a Seasonic G 500w (so 7 Seasonics). My oldest PSU is a 2009 X650, that's been in 3 builds and has interstellar miles, even after 9 years there are no smells or wine from it, even the fan looks clean.

They have all been bullet proof except a Seasonic P 660 and a Seasonic G had a cold start issue and had to be returned, apparently the cold start issue on some Seasonics was/is quite common. Buying a good PSU is a bit like buying a good pair of shoes, you are going to pay more money but you may save money long term as the unit will last longer.

Also one last thing. If a PSU fails in a short time then unless it's just unlucky you know the PSU was poor quality I have Pioneer Hi-Fi amplifiers almost 30 years old and the PSU's in those are still running, so when you hear about computer PSU's failing in short time, compared to Japanese electronics of the 80's and 90's that are still working it's nonsense really. Of course it's not like anyone forgot how to build PSU's, more the case some PSU's are built really cheap plus all the planned obsolescence thats everywhere in the world.

Last edited:
Soldato
Regarding the more powerful PSU,I always got a more wattage PSU than the one I needed,it's always better to have more power if you ever need it.

Soldato
Only ever used Corsair PSUs for my builds over the last 14 years, on my 4th now (RM850) and never had a problem with them. Been running this one for ... 4 years I think.

The only thing I don't like are ribbon cables so my current rig has Cablemods braided version.

Man of Honour
OP
Only ever used Corsair PSUs for my builds over the last 14 years, on my 4th now (RM850) and never had a problem with them. Been running this one for ... 4 years I think.

The only thing I don't like are ribbon cables so my current rig has Cablemods braided version.
That's good to know :)

I'm thinking of getting the Cablemods braided set as well, how do you rate them?

Man of Honour
PSU's failing in short time, compared to Japanese electronics of the 80's and 90's that are still working it's nonsense really.

While it is a bit of a perpetuated story these days based on things that aren't so true today there is your key - except for some of the top tier stuff a lot of older PSUs use Chinese, etc. capacitors that tend to have fairly low rated hours of operation and typically didn't last as long even as their rating - compared to the more normal story with Japanese capacitors which were if anything over-engineered and would outlast their rating more often than not by quite a margin - hence the whole "Japanese capacitors" marketing blurb of more recent times.

Even today there is a reason I tend to use Nichicon, Panasonic or Cornell Dubilier capacitors over the other brands based on my experiences.

A decent brand Hi-Fi amp from back then used to be somewhat over-engineered as well.

Back
Top Bottom