How do you WASD

Soldato
Do you have large hands? For me the stretch of the thumb over to the M whilst still touching WASD is too much.

Also - I could never get my head around RMB move forward! I know it used to be the default set-up just before I starting playing games, but it really seems alien!

So, finally another lefty with pinky using the keypad?
Correct! With the right hand obviously using the mouse for mouselook. I bind Run and Jump to my mouse's (Logitech G502) sidebuttons and utilise the numpad and the 6 keys in the Page Up/Down/Ins/Del area too. I've used this combo since the HL Deathmatch days iirc.

Soldato
OP
Correct! With the right hand obviously using the mouse for mouselook. I bind Run and Jump to my mouse's (Logitech G502) sidebuttons and utilise the numpad and the 6 keys in the Page Up/Down/Ins/Del area too. I've used this combo since the HL Deathmatch days iirc.

Hold on, if your right hand is using the mouse that's a righty set-up! So you have mouse in right hand and use left hand on the keypad for movement? I don't think that's one I've heard of before, but it's interesting how different people get used to different set-ups.

Associate
Middle finger on W/S
Ring finger on A (Q = Comorose or Lean Left)
Index Finger on D (Can then use E = Use or Lean Right, R = Reload, F = Swap between Primary and Secondary Weapon (BF1), G = Nades, C = Crouch, X = Prone, V = Change Fire Rate)
Pinky on Shift = RUN or Ctrl = Something Else
Thumb = Space

G502
LMB = Fire, RMB = ADS, Forward Thumb Button For fine Sniper control, Upper thumb buttons for Melee and change Fire Rate, Scroll Wheel Button = Nades

Interesting to hear about everyone elses preferences though. ESDF sounds interesting for giving the pinky more access to buttons. However, I dont suppose it will be easy to change after using my combination for over 30 odd years :p

Last edited:
Associate
There was me thinking I was the only person who still uses the Arrow keys!

My mates often take the **** about me using them but I have tried many times switching to WASD and I just can't so left hand uses the Arrow keys and numpad and right Shift, Ctrl, and Enter and right hand using the mouse.

Associate
Does anyone else use ctrl for crouch? I can't get used to using the defalt C key that most games use and have always used ctrl.
My index finger drops down from D to C for crouch and that just comes naturally to me, but I can see that you could easily use your pinky for crouching with Left CTRL. :)

Soldato
OP
There was me thinking I was the only person who still uses the Arrow keys!

My mates often take the **** about me using them but I have tried many times switching to WASD and I just can't so left hand uses the Arrow keys and numpad and right Shift, Ctrl, and Enter and right hand using the mouse.

There are definite strengths and weaknesses to my right-hand-on-the-arrow-keys set-up - most notably my pinky can end up doing a lot of work, and my thumb can't reach many keys. But, for those right-handers using their left hands on the arrow keys - how do you manage to map enough keys you can hit? Isn't most of the number pad (like about the 1,2,3 line) too difficult to hit with your thumb? Or does the index finger hit the keypad keys? And you don't have as many keys within reach of the pinky, do you?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've had a look at this and similar controllers over the years, but a couple of things put me off:

1. There don't seem to be enough keys. I see 15 keys apart from WASD and whatever the thumb wheel is. I can very easily access 19 on my keyboard, and stretch to 25 without too much extra effort if I need to.

2. They all seem to discriminate against us lefties by being right-handed layout only!

1) Orbweaver has 25 keys on the keypad for your fingers, which is more than enough but if not you can have 3 overlays that you can switch between giving you ~75 programmable keys, plus you have 2 buttons and a D-Pad for your thumb. I generally map the thumb buttons for 'reload' and 'use' then the D-Pad for jump / sprint / crouch which with the WSAD keys in the centre of the pad give you the basics with quite a few buttons left over for the rest. I also have a Logitech G700s mouse which has extra buttons which I tend to use for weapon options.

2) Agreed, that sucks - maybe take it up with Razer !?!

Soldato
OP
They often move the keyboard to accommodate. It's then awkward typing however not an issue with voice coms.

My curiosity over how they manage this is how it works ergonomically even if you discount proximity to the mouse - like how are enough keys pressable when the thumb is at the bottom of the keypad and so surely can't use and the pinky only has seven or eight keys it can easily hit
1) Orbweaver has 25 keys on the keypad for your fingers, which is more than enough but if not you can have 3 overlays that you can switch between giving you ~75 programmable keys, plus you have 2 buttons and a D-Pad for your thumb. I generally map the thumb buttons for 'reload' and 'use' then the D-Pad for jump / sprint / crouch which with the WSAD keys in the centre of the pad give you the basics with quite a few buttons left over for the rest. I also have a Logitech G700s mouse which has extra buttons which I tend to use for weapon options.

2) Agreed, that sucks - maybe take it up with Razer !?!

Ah, right that's way more than it looked at first glance. That's really good.

But yeah, I've seen lots of complaints to Razer and lots of inquiries about when they'll release one for lefties - the answer is always "no plans at present" :(

Soldato
I dunno if you guys remember Duke Nukem but it had A/Z as jump/duck, this led to me using a weird setup in all fps games from 96 till WoW launch where I had to change to suit WoW bindings. My clan mates always used to take the **** out of them.

A = Jump
Z = Duck
Q = Left Strafe
W = Right Strafe
Right mouse = Forward
Side mouse = Backwards (only started using backwards key in Unreal Tournament when I got a mouse with more buttons)
Left Mouse = Attack
Ctrl = Secondary attack
Space = Walk
Shift = Run

Now I just use boring old bog standard controls, saves a lot of effort rebinding in new games :)

Soldato
My curiosity over how they manage this is how it works ergonomically even if you discount proximity to the mouse - like how are enough keys pressable when the thumb is at the bottom of the keypad and so surely can't use and the pinky only has seven or eight keys it can easily hit

Ah, right that's way more than it looked at first glance. That's really good.

But yeah, I've seen lots of complaints to Razer and lots of inquiries about when they'll release one for lefties - the answer is always "no plans at present" :(

They can reach enough keys plus a mouse with extra buttons is enough. It's normally the fps lot doing it. There's a pro overwatch player who I've seen with a keyboard rotated 45 degrees. It kind of makes sense as the wrist is then straight.

Soldato
OP
They can reach enough keys plus a mouse with extra buttons is enough. It's normally the fps lot doing it. There's a pro overwatch player who I've seen with a keyboard rotated 45 degrees. It kind of makes sense as the wrist is then straight.

Ah right, yeah. I've seen CS:GO players doing that too (though not with that key set-up I don't think). It does make a difference to the ergonomics. Didn't think of that.

(Plus I've always hated having the extra buttons on my mouse as my grip means I could never reach them reliably or quickly and I kept accidentally pressing them. I now have a Razer Abyssus, and one of the reasons I got it was it doesn't have any side buttons I can screw up with :))

Soldato
Ah yeah, exactly the same finger layout as I use. I think it works great as well - for 99% of games. There is the odd one where the number of required keys has been ridiculous and I've been stretching for [ ] ; ' etc. But putting the least-used controls on those means I don't have to use them too often.

So, index finger on the up arrow? I can't figure that one out! And what's jump in this set-up?

My error :rolleyes: I use my middle finger for the up arrow, index on the left arrow etc, jump is sometimes the spacebar or right shift depending on the game,

Back
Top Bottom