NvME Samsung 970 SSD overheating?

Associate
I have a M.2 Samsung 970 SSD that, according to Samsung Magician is at 51º but all other monitoring software (AIDA, HWiNFO, etc.) display 81º while idle and 95º under load. How is this possible?.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB. Magician 5.2.1 (S.M.A.R.T) states temp is 34. HWiNFO64 v5.86-3480 states 52.
My drive is right under my EVGA 1080Ti Black SC on my Asus GENE VII,
I have 2 old Corsair SP120 at front of my Parvum S2.0 bringing in air at approx 500RPM.
I would see what the air flow is like in your case, because I expected mine to be hot right under the GPU, but its doing OK.

Soldato
I have a 970 evo in the same sort of position as above and idle is around 30C. HWmonitor and CrystalDiskInfo report the same temp.

Though to drop load temps I added a passive cooler, a Gelid subzero (why not at £9). Also added a side fan in my case blowing in the general direction of the M2 drive. Dropped load temps from around 70C to no more than 50C. So no throttling for me.

Soldato
I have a 970 evo in the same sort of position as above and idle is around 30C. HWmonitor and CrystalDiskInfo report the same temp.

Though to drop load temps I added a passive cooler, a Gelid subzero (why not at £9). Also added a side fan in my case blowing in the general direction of the M2 drive. Dropped load temps from around 70C to no more than 50C. So no throttling for me.
Should you be cooling the NAND....?

https://youtu.be/KzSIfxHppPY?t=6m14s

Soldato
Should you be cooling the NAND....?

https://youtu.be/KzSIfxHppPY?t=6m14s

Interesting read.

As my 970 EVO is still running at around 50C under load (this is normal load like transferring files etc. not any form of stress testing) then I would think what I've got is a decent balance. I found at 70C+ the drive started to throttle. Probably due to it's position on the motherboard (IE. sandwiched between the GPU / CPU) where there isn't a lot of airflow, hence why I added the side panel fan. I have a Samsung SM951 in the bottom M2 slot and this runs a bit cooler (without a heat-sink), probably because of it's better position on the motherboard. Sometimes it's hard to know what's best. All part of the fun I suppose.

EDIT. On watching the above again:
The article does seem to imply that the issue is if you pull the NAND temps back down closer to ambient under load it can impact on endurance. So again, a none issue for me, as even at idle it's running at around 30C (some 10c+ above ambient).

Last edited:
Soldato
EDIT. On watching the above again:
The article does seem to imply that the issue is if you pull the NAND temps back down closer to ambient under load it can impact on endurance. So again, a none issue for me, as even at idle it's running at around 30C (some 10c+ above ambient).

Ambient temperature is meaningless for this (and will vary depending on where you live and the season). It's the absolute temperature that'll matter.

Soldato
Ambient temperature is meaningless for this (and will vary depending on where you live and the season). It's the absolute temperature that'll matter.
Only mentioned ambient operating temp, as the above video clip brings it up. Pretty obvious that it will vary I suppose.

Bottom line as far as I'm concerned, is that I'd rather my drive is hitting in the order of 50c (absolute as you say) rather than 70c+ and throttling.

Back
Top Bottom