• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Geforce GTX1180/2080 Speculation thread

Associate
I still want to know what people think about this because for me RT is DOA if you have to game at 1080p to use it with the RTX line of cards.

I don't think anything because we haven't seen any official or reliable third party figures yet for ray tracing.
I can understand NVIDIA not giving official figures because the games featured using RT had it for about 2 weeks, and games need to be constructed right to make best use of RT. The RT games aren't even finished regardless of RT. There definitely will be improvement before the first patch in of RT in Tomb Raider, perhaps there will be little improvement - but we simply don't know for sure.

Soldato
I don't think anything because we haven't seen any official or reliable third party figures yet for ray tracing.
I can understand NVIDIA not giving official figures because the games featured using RT had it for about 2 weeks, and games need to be constructed right to make best use of RT. The RT games aren't even finished regardless of RT. Perhaps there will little improvement when RT in Tomb Raider comes out - but we simply don't know for sure.

I agree. No way would Nvidia release a new line of cards whose headline feature was DOA.

Man of Honour
I still want to know what people think about this because for me RT is DOA if you have to game at 1080p to use it with the RTX line of cards.

If it is anything close to proper ray tracing fidelity (and not just used to ver shiny everything) I'd happily drop to 1080p if needed.

I think once people start playing games that use it decently older stuff will look very poor in comparison.

Soldato
So people have gone from 60hz at 1080p is not enough to 120hz then 144hz then 240hz,then it became 1440p and then 4k. Each time people said 1080p 60hz was rubbish.

Now we are back to 1080p 60hz being fine.LOL. See the people who stuck with their 1080p 60hz monitors were right all along!

:p

Soldato
Having watched the latest video from Jim (AdoredTV) all this bent benchmarks by Nvidia aren't that far away from what I wrote days ago.
That until we see real numbers, all the "relative performance" is a pile of poo because are not indicators of absolute performance.
Like all this RTX2080 is twice as fast than the GTX1080, yet if we break down the numbers looks like might be as fast than the GTX1080ti FE, and what seems slower than the factory overclocked 1080Tis.
And lets not forget while Nvidia only sold the GTX1080 10Gbps card, while a lot of manufacturers sold the GTX1080 11Gbps card after March 2017. (using same VRAM with GTX1080Ti)
That card had 352.3 GB/s over the 320GB/s of the 10Gbps one, a hefty 10% more bandwidth out of the box.

In addition the image with the various 4K FPS figures is again unclear of how Nvidia did the testing. And this video explains why.

GTX1080Ti is capable to hit the targets on max settings at 4K....

Associate
Crazy that we have to wait another 3 weeks almost for reviews and benchmarks.

Has there ever been such a long gap between reveal/launch and reviews? I can't think of a time off the top of my head.

Associate
Even if the 2080 is 1.25 - 1.5 as fast as 1080 (4K60 AA off for a fair comparison) the problem is that since then we've had the 1080TI at around the £700 mark. For people to be happy to pay 700+ now it would need to be 1.25 as fast as a 1080TI with the extra RTX goodies that can stay optional until games catch up.
But 800+ if not 900+ for a 2080? - absolutely crazy - unless mining is showing big gains on the new chips?

Soldato
Hardware unboxed have a new Q&A video up, speaking of 7nm they think it will come <12 months from now and blow the 2xxx series out the water. I'm also kinda losing interest as there's little game wise coming that I'm interested in to make use of it.

Might just get an Adata sx8200 480gb nvme drive and call it a day til next year.

Soldato
Crazy that we have to wait another 3 weeks almost for reviews and benchmarks.

Has there ever been such a long gap between reveal/launch and reviews? I can't think of a time off the top of my head.

Its understandable from a view point of minimising leaks but also needing to get game devs to intergrate the new features in time for launch / reviews. If reviewers can't test the new features then its not going to showcase the product.

Back
Top Bottom