• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Poll: Will you be buying a 2080Ti/2080/2070?

Which card will you be buying?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
Interesting comment from a different forum, a bitcoin / virtual currency miner, who claims the market is now so bad that they are losing money month on month, and unless it picks up soon there's going to be an awful lot of high end graphics cards being dumped on the second hand market. I had seen an article somewhere about these people wanting to return the cards to the sellers to get their money back on them, it did say how they did this, but I don't remember how.

People who do this are proper taking the **** imo. The ones doing this not only did they create a massive shortage of cards for gamers and force the price up, not only were they peeing energy up the wall for the sake of a few quid, now they are expecting retailers to take this hit hit for their greed now the arse appears to have fallen out of the market.

They took their chances and now they should own it imo

Soldato
I hear what you're saying, but even with driver optimisation I can't see 4k / high fps gaming with Raytracing on a reality this gen.

Gaijin are saying Enlisted runs at 90fps in 4K with Raytracing on

Eidos and Dice are saying they know they have driver/optimisation issues which they are saying will be fixed.

Some randoms on forums are saying its not possible...

Soldato

Eidos and Dice are saying they know they have driver/optimisation issues which they are saying will be fixed.

I am not saying it is not possible..... I AM saying that NV chose to demo software to generate sales. This is all we have to go on and the burden of proof is now on them to show it was just software issues.
I remember being told how amazing the vega64 was and it was just driver optimisation holding it back. YES it improved a bit but not to £550 - £600 launch price imo.
Talk is cheap I want to see tomb raider running RTX on 4k 60 fps (without watchdogs/alien colonial marines type visual nerfs) before I believe it because right now it is 1080p 50fps

Caporegime
People who do this are proper taking the **** imo. The ones doing this not only did they create a massive shortage of cards for gamers and force the price up, not only were they peeing energy up the wall for the sake of a few quid, now they are expecting retailers to take this hit hit for their greed now the arse appears to have fallen out of the market.

They took their chances and now they should own it imo

Reading the cryto mining sub forum..........

giphy.gif

:D

In some ways I would like to see the retailers have to take them back as they will then make a huge loss themselves, after all they are the ones that gouged the **** out of every GPU..........

Soldato
I hear what you're saying, but even with driver optimisation I can't see 4k / high fps gaming with Raytracing on a reality this gen.
It does seem like it'll be a bit of a stretch I'll admit.

What with the delay in presentation at the event and other bits and bobs I can't say this has been the smoothest nVidia release. Which is a surprise considering the length of time they had.

Associate
Another interesting point brought up is whether ray tracing is going to be a success. This depends on other OEMs introducing it on their cards or otherwise why would game designers spend good money and time implementing it into their games? Although the early adopters have bought all the first batch of cards (and we don't actually know the numbers, but they could be quite low) what will sales be like post launch which is more important. If less than 5% of the buying public even has a ray tracing card then the games designers aren't going to include it, and there is always the risk of 'favouritism' if only one manufacturer supports the tech.

The past appears littered with failed graphics 'advances' which seemed like a good idea at the time, but died a death because they were single maker, and not important enough to include. With just a couple of games supporting ray tracing at the moment they are guaranteed more sales as a result of novelty, but what happens in the future to recover the cost of an option over 95% can't take advantage of ?

Soldato
It'll only be a failure if people make it so IMO.
Wasn't long ago I was reading in the forum I think how RT is the future - how fantastic it's going to be. Now we have the "initial" implementation there's far too much complaining vs what was not long ago being talked about as the future. IMO it all comes own to the pricing which is bringing the worst opinions from people.
Course it isn't going to be perfect but if they can improve on existing techniques as an initial implementation and then work on it to make it much better as hardware allows then eventually RT will be brilliant and will filter down to the lower end cards even too.

I was playing Farcry 5 the other day that works brilliantly with my 1070 Ti....but it still occasionally suffers performance drops and that's the nature of graphics. The more things going on, the lower the performance will be, especially if the games receive no optimisation to ensure the user experience will always be good. RT or not, current hardware will still struggle during challenging gameplay. Hopefully NV are working with game devs closely to at least minimise performance drops from RT

Last edited:
Soldato
It wasn't really parts it was the overall point/narrative. I'll try and explain it in simple (yet long winded) terms.

Back in the day (TM) computers had single colour screens, green on black (I'm going somewhere with this) then came the era of Colour Graphics Adapters (CGA) video adapters with four different colours on the screen at once, then came the era of Enhanced Graphics Adapters (EGA) with 16 colours. This improvement from CGA to EGA could be directly compared with going from an Atari 2600 to a NES, and this is where I started with a 8086 computer with EGA display. Next came the Video Graphics Array (VGA) cards, which could display 256 colours at once (comparable to the NES to SNES transition) however my father wasn't going to drop a grand on a new video card just to make my games look cooler when WordPerfect and Supercalc (the DOS programs Word and Excel are ripped off from) would look the same. The next big jump was 16bit colour (even more colours again), then 3DFX invented 3D accelerators, then SLI which allowed games to be played in 800x600 and the mentally high 1024x768. Finally the last big advancement was hardware based Transform, clipping, and lighting (T&L) which was responsible for the rise of Nvidia and the fall of 3DFX, and that was the last major development in GPU technology, there hasn't been anything big since just improvements on what we have.

And this is the crux of it, every time one of those landmark developments hit the market I couldn't afford it, I had to wait a year or two until the tech trickled down to the cheaper video cards, I'd always wish I could get in on it sooner but couldn't. This time however I can afford it, gimping my own experience for a year or two just to save money isn't how I want to go with my hobby so I'm getting a 2080ti, because as cheesy as it sounds, THG are right, when my life flashes before my eyes I want as much of it to have ray tracing as possible xD

I hear ya mate, the only issue I'd have with that approach is buying it, being amazed by the ray-tracing for a while, but potentially dissatisfied by the performance. Early adoption of new tech isn't always the wisest of moves, particularly if you have no idea how it performs real-world.

Until it's widely adopted by AMD and next gen consoles, then I think it's going to be a bit of an afterthought for devs to include it unless Nvidia are chucking money their way, just my two cents. It's definitely the right way to go don't get me wrong, I think ray-tracing is great. I just think there's a right time to jump on the band-wagon and that time isn't now.

However, If you've got money burning a hole in your pocket and want that shiny shiny then I get it :p

Soldato

4A Games have been working on Ray Tracing since January. Metro Exodus was used in Nvidia's RTX demo in March. So they are one of the more experienced developers with this new technology. And they hope to have their game running at 60fps@1080p with Ray Tracing enabled by it's release in February 2019. That's what they are aiming for.

Soldato
4A Games have been working on Ray Tracing since January. Metro Exodus was used in Nvidia's RTX demo in March. So they are one of the more experienced developers with this new technology. And they hope to have their game running at 60fps@1080p with Ray Tracing enabled by it's release in February 2019. That's what they are aiming for.

So its clear that different developers are aiming for different levels of usage - if it comes with options / sliders then this will be great for end users - people with 4k monitors can tone down the RT to get higher FPS, those on 1080p can ramp everything up to max if they choose.

Back
Top Bottom