How to speed up Ultrabook ?

Soldato
Hi Guys im looking for some help,

I have a samsung I5 ultrabook and its very slow for what it is, it take ages doing anything.

what can I do to speed it up ?

I've tried disk defragmentation and ccleaner.

Soldato
I have a Laptop , it's a HP , so not the same , but it was also pretty slow when I first got it, and the only thing that seemed to speed it up was to turn off indexing , rebooted and it was quite a bit faster

I think its got an AMD A10 CPU + 8Gigs of DDR4 with a HDD, plus I shut off/ dont use system restore

Soldato
OP
Does it have an SSD, SSHD or HDD?

What is the full spec / model number?
Sorry for the delay in reply

SAMSUNG NP540U3C
It has just a HDD

I5 3317U 1.7GHZ
6GB RAM

I have a Laptop , it's a HP , so not the same , but it was also pretty slow when I first got it, and the only thing that seemed to speed it up was to turn off indexing , rebooted and it was quite a bit faster

I think its got an AMD A10 CPU + 8Gigs of DDR4 with a HDD, plus I shut off/ dont use system restore

how do i turn off indexing ?

Soldato
how do i turn off indexing ?

Assuming Windows 10 - right click start button, select 'run', type 'services.msc', then turn off 'superfetch'. Not sure it will make a huge difference but it's worth a go. Replacing the HDD with an SSD will undoubtedly help but only if you can clone the drive first or if you have the installation media. Most laptops have a recovery partition on the same drive.

Soldato
OP
Assuming Windows 10 - right click start button, select 'run', type 'services.msc', then turn off 'superfetch'. Not sure it will make a huge difference but it's worth a go. Replacing the HDD with an SSD will undoubtedly help but only if you can clone the drive first or if you have the installation media. Most laptops have a recovery partition on the same drive.
Thanks, ill try that, I can install fresh windows but I dont know how to clone and I dont think Samsung has a way to create a restore disk,

If you've got a USB caddy handy then you can clone it with Macrium reflect or Acronis. There's free versions of each.
I dont have a caddy, I did have a dock if i can find it.

Is it not possible to create a restore disk or USB like you could in the past ?

Soldato
I dont have a caddy, I did have a dock if i can find it.

Is it not possible to create a restore disk or USB like you could in the past ?

Dock or Caddy - same end result.

Dunno on the recovery, depends on the laptop maker how they choose to do it. If you restore Windows 7 back from a manufacturer recovery you'll have an awful lot of updates required...

Soldato
OP
Dock or Caddy - same end result.

Dunno on the recovery, depends on the laptop maker how they choose to do it. If you restore Windows 7 back from a manufacturer recovery you'll have an awful lot of updates required...
Im running windows 10 but I think it was windows 7 or 8 originally.
Ive not found the dock yes so I may need to look for another option

Soldato
OP
If you can install fresh anyway you may as well do that. You'll just have the ball-ache of reinstalling everything after
You are right, the problem I have with reinstalling is the activation and drivers. I assume it will have a way to create factory restore usb, ill need to check to see if it has the option.
The laptop has no key on it, so i'm assuming reinstalling windows would be a issue unless i find the original key or buy a new one.

Soldato
You are right, the problem I have with reinstalling is the activation and drivers. I assume it will have a way to create factory restore usb, ill need to check to see if it has the option.
The laptop has no key on it, so i'm assuming reinstalling windows would be a issue unless i find the original key or buy a new one.

As it's had windows 10 on it, the key will be tied to the motherboard. It'll activate fine on a clean install of the same windows version.

Back
Top Bottom