• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Silly to buy a 1080ti now??

Soldato
GPU gets saturated not CPU, the problem is the game has massive amounts of lighting and particles in certain areas which dont seem controllable by any settings. HTT would have no affect.

The game is thirsty on CPU as well tho, I did have to upgrade my haswell to coffee lake to prevent CPU based stuttering, but the deep frame rate drops are GPU saturation.

In general the developers I feel didnt optimise too well, I expect development machines were very high spec'd, as the game also has some really bad memory leak problems as well.

Associate
It might not be a bad time to buy a new 20xx card now. Because the ''US plans tariffs on more than 6000 chinese products''. Just look at how retailers ramp prices over Brexit scaremongering. The UK is after all Treasure Island when it comes to ripping off its residents. Think i will order next week, and just sit on it, just to be sure.

Associate
It might not be a bad time to buy a new 20xx card now. Because the ''US plans tariffs on more than 6000 chinese products''. Just look at how retailers ramp prices over Brexit scaremongering. The UK is after all Treasure Island when it comes to ripping off its residents. Think i will order next week, and just sit on it, just to be sure.
I'm probably being stupid, but why do US-China trade tariffs impact the UK price?

Permabanned
I'm probably being stupid, but why do US-China trade tariffs impact the UK price?

Made in China bro. They make them there to exploit the low cost of workers and materials. Imagine if your GPU was made in America. I bet you it would cost 1000 for a 1080.

People do not think about that much someday China will stop that and steal all the patents but not until they have Superpower status.

Associate
Made in China bro. They make them there to exploit the low cost of workers and materials. Imagine if your GPU was made in America. I bet you it would cost 1000 for a 1080.

Operating from a position of ignorance, I'd assumed that those tariff changes meant that the US would have additional fees levelled upon imports from China. But surely if the UK/EU get cards shipped in direct we won't face that additional cost? A to C rather than via B?

Permabanned
I'd rather speed another £100 on a RTX 2080 at this point, once the new features are enabled we should start seeing the gap between the 10 and 20 series widen.

I think I'd want to see the 1080Ti down as low as £550 before I'd commit to buying one.

Soldato
I'd rather speed another £100 on a RTX 2080 at this point, once the new features are enabled we should start seeing the gap between the 10 and 20 series widen.

I think I'd want to see the 1080Ti down as low as £550 before I'd commit to buying one.

The minimum difference on OCUK is £130, and that's for a god awful blower style cooler, on a bigger, hotter chip. The closest 2080 with a decent cooler is £160 more for the same performance. I also don't think that the RayTracing power of the 2080 will be good enough, and we've not seen any numbers on DLSS to tell us whether it'll be worth it on the 2080.

I'm not saying you're wrong, it's up to the individual to decide whether that £160 is worth it to them. For me it definitely isn't, it's more than the difference between an i5 and an i7. If I were building a new rig I'd take the 1080ti and the i7, with some change for better ram.

I think the 2080 is going to drop in price though, pretty much as soon as the 1080ti stock dries up I reckon it'll be close to ti pricing, with 2080ti dropping £100 or so too.

Soldato

Best price 2080 GTX is £749.99 ... and if you want one of the better ones, then it's closer to £800+! For this you get marginal improvement over a 1080TI (in current games) and the "hope" that some of it's extra "goodies" are widely adopted as time goes on. Not overly convinced that as drivers mature, that the new cards will pull that far ahead. Prices could soften for the new cards I suppose. But considering the current economic situation in the UK (impending Brexit and all that) they could just as easily go up in price even further.

If the 2080 GTX had been more like £650 (or less) with a slightly bigger improvement over the 1080 TI in current games, then I would have gone for one like a shot. Though I freely admit that I do tend to behind the ball with current AAA titles and tend to wait a while for game prices to soften before buying (though there is the odd exception to this).

I've gone for one of the MSI 1080 ti's. But as usual, up to an individual as to what they spend their money on I suppose. Be boring if we all did the same thing I suppose ;)

Associate
Glad i went for the MSI 1080ti at £599.99 the other week. The look of the cooler might not be to everybody's taste but performance/noise wise it is one of the best.

Permabanned
The minimum difference on OCUK is £130, and that's for a god awful blower style cooler, on a bigger, hotter chip. The closest 2080 with a decent cooler is £160 more for the same performance. I also don't think that the RayTracing power of the 2080 will be good enough, and we've not seen any numbers on DLSS to tell us whether it'll be worth it on the 2080.

I'm not saying you're wrong, it's up to the individual to decide whether that £160 is worth it to them. For me it definitely isn't, it's more than the difference between an i5 and an i7. If I were building a new rig I'd take the 1080ti and the i7, with some change for better ram.

I think the 2080 is going to drop in price though, pretty much as soon as the 1080ti stock dries up I reckon it'll be close to ti pricing, with 2080ti dropping £100 or so too.

We don't have any support yet but from the demo's available DLSS provides some great performance increases even at 1440p.

With DLSS the RTX2080 was surpassing standard RTX2080Ti performance so the gap compared to 1080Ti once games have implemented it will probably be pretty big, or at least the potential is there.

We haven't seen the best of these cards yet.

Soldato
We don't have any support yet but from the demo's available DLSS provides some great performance increases even at 1440p.

With DLSS the RTX2080 was surpassing standard RTX2080Ti performance so the gap compared to 1080Ti once games have implemented it will probably be pretty big, or at least the potential is there.

We haven't seen the best of these cards yet.

Yes, but, how long will it take to get that tech into more than a handful of games? 6 months? a year?

Permabanned
Yes, but, how long will it take to get that tech into more than a handful of games? 6 months? a year?

Well they have 20+ games lined up so not long I'd imagine.

Shouldn't be that hard for developers to add support to some older games, but that's not the point; there is nothing that taxing out right now.

Games being released in future months are more of a concern than what's out right now.

Back
Top Bottom