• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Silly to buy a 1080ti now??

Associate
^...so long as your motherboard/psu is up to it. The old cpu I had was bottlenecking mine quite badly.
MB is updated with custom BIOS to support window boot from PCIe NVMe with UEFI mode. :D CPU is 6 core Sandy Bridge E over locked to 4.8GHz and PSU is 1000 Watt.
Hopefully everything goes as planned for this big upgrade. :)

Soldato
MB is updated with custom BIOS to support window boot from PCIe NVMe with UEFI mode. :D CPU is 6 core Sandy Bridge E over locked to 4.8GHz and PSU is 1000 Watt.
Hopefully everything goes as planned for this big upgrade. :)

Will be a dope system, the old SandyBridges are still great chips imo, especially with that healthy overclock.

Soldato
Similar to my mates too. Seems to be happy to boost, and boost to 2000 when I push volt temp and power to the right.

But if I add any core I get crashes.

Ive run heaven for 1 hour. Quite a few timespy bench marks and it seems happy. Also that new one.. superposition.

I have a bsod when I tabbed out of pubg, but feel that is not OC related. It didn't manage to collect info so had to hard off and on.

Associate
You guys will be more than happy. I upgraded 1070 to Asus Strix 1080ti and reckon in most games I doubled my frame rate.

Certainly resi evil 7 went from sub 30 to 99% fixed 60 @4K. That was with most options maxed out and hdr enabled.

System was z97, 4790 at stock.

Soldato
Gaming at 1080p how much improvement would you get going from a 980ti. >>> 1080ti.

I wouldn't bother with that upgrade myself. It would only be worth it if you plan to change your monitor shortly after.

I’ve never understood this viewpoint, as I’ve said before on here.

No card is a waste of money at a lower resolution. Yes it can leverage higher resolutions at decent frames, but back when we didn’t have all these options, what the top card bought was longevity as much as anything else.

The 1080ti would provide years and years of max settings gaming. Yes a higher res monitor would look better, and high refresh rate would definitely be a good idea. But just because a card is ‘overkill’ now, doesn’t mean it always will be.

A 4k60fps setup today, won’t last anywhere near as long as graphics demand increases, because there’s so little room for margin. You certainly wouldn’t have that problem with the proposed setup.

As to your question ‘how much improvement?’; well that depends...

- Why do you want to upgrade?
- Is your current monitor high refresh?
- What performance do you get now? Do you max frames and settings in your chosen games?
- What improvement do you want?

Associate
I wouldn't bother with that upgrade myself. It would only be worth it if you plan to change your monitor shortly after.

I’ve never understood this viewpoint, as I’ve said before on here.

No card is a waste of money at a lower resolution. Yes it can leverage higher resolutions at decent frames, but back when we didn’t have all these options, what the top card bought was longevity as much as anything else.

The 1080ti would provide years and years of max settings gaming. Yes a higher res monitor would look better, and high refresh rate would definitely be a good idea. But just because a card is ‘overkill’ now, doesn’t mean it always will be.

A 4k60fps setup today, won’t last anywhere near as long as graphics demand increases, because there’s so little room for margin. You certainly wouldn’t have that problem with the proposed setup.

As to your question ‘how much improvement?’; well that depends...

- Why do you want to upgrade?
- Is your current monitor high refresh?
- What performance do you get now? Do you max frames and settings in your chosen games?
- What improvement do you want?
Sorry my bad I forgot to add one very very important piece of info in my op, in that I plan to go down the route of getting VR like the rift to use for a racing sim.
As I've read about the extra omph always being good for vr

Soldato
Sorry my bad I forgot to add one very very important piece of info in my op, in that I plan to go down the route of getting VR like the rift to use for a racing sim.
As I've read about the extra omph always being good for vr

Unfortunately you've essentially answered none of my questions :p

For VR alone it's very much worth it, IF you're going to buying it soon and using it a lot. What I will say is whilst obscenely, obscenely expensive the new Turing have the new VR connector standard, essentially bringing it down to a single cable. If you're serious about VR and are willing to pay bonkers prices then they're a possibility.

But it depends y'know; if you're doing VR in 18 months time buying a GPU now, especially if you don't want more performance in your current setup, seems unnescessary. Telling us the refresh rate of your monitor and the fps you're getting in games would really making giving advice easier. As a guide : I
  • If it's 60hz and that's what you're getting; No.
  • If it's high refresh and you're not maxing the monitor, or you can't enable all the pretties; Yes.
  • If you plan on getting a new high res monitor / VR setup in the next few weeks, Yes.

Associate
Unfortunately you've essentially answered none of my questions :p

For VR alone it's very much worth it, IF you're going to buying it soon and using it a lot. What I will say is whilst obscenely, obscenely expensive the new Turing have the new VR connector standard, essentially bringing it down to a single cable. If you're serious about VR and are willing to pay bonkers prices then they're a possibility.

But it depends y'know; if you're doing VR in 18 months time buying a GPU now, especially if you don't want more performance in your current setup, seems unnescessary. Telling us the refresh rate of your monitor and the fps you're getting in games would really making giving advice easier. As a guide : I
  • If it's 60hz and that's what you're getting; No.
  • If it's high refresh and you're not maxing the monitor, or you can't enable all the pretties; Yes.
  • If you plan on getting a new high res monitor / VR setup in the next few weeks, Yes.
Atm I do not have any gpu I referred to the 980ti as that was the last gpu that I had the last time the pc was running.
From memory the rest of the pc was
Cpu 2500k I think o/c to 4.6
Psu 1000w gold branded psu
16gb ram - forget spec etc.
Ocz agility 3 ssd
MB - forget
Monitors 3 x 24" Samsung monitors std 60 hz
The main thing I used the pc for was iracing and other racing sim games.
When I rebuild the pc I intend on going down the vr root for racing sims and MAYBEE other games like fps , but I would not rule out using the vr for most games.

Soldato
Atm I do not have any gpu I referred to the 980ti as that was the last gpu that I had the last time the pc was running.
From memory the rest of the pc was
Cpu 2500k I think o/c to 4.6
Psu 1000w gold branded psu
16gb ram - forget spec etc.
Ocz agility 3 ssd
MB - forget
Monitors 3 x 24" Samsung monitors std 60 hz
The main thing I used the pc for was iracing and other racing sim games.
When I rebuild the pc I intend on going down the vr root for racing sims and MAYBEE other games like fps , but I would not rule out using the vr for most games.

You’ve got me so confused it’s unreal mate. Are you using the old parts for this? When do you propose to do it?

Back
Top Bottom