• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Silly to buy a 1080ti now??

Soldato
We don't have any support yet but from the demo's available DLSS provides some great performance increases even at 1440p.

With DLSS the RTX2080 was surpassing standard RTX2080Ti performance so the gap compared to 1080Ti once games have implemented it will probably be pretty big, or at least the potential is there.

We haven't seen the best of these cards yet.

Yes, I do believe that for the games it's implemented well in, we'll see performance jumps. I don't think RTX will be good on these cards though, so DLSS is the only tech that's interesting for me for the 2080. How long it will take, how widely it'll be implemented and if it'll be worth it is entirely unknown at the moment.

Given that 7nm is apparently close, I think that by the time DLSS is widely adopted, the next gen might well be around the corner. If this is the case, then decent resale value for the 2080 might be hard to argue for, especially those who (imo wisely) kept their 1080tis decide to upgrade when 7nm arrives.

Turing seems to me to be a reason for RTX and DLSS to be implemented in games, with future generations being built to really take advantage of it. I'd rather save my spondoolies, not encourage these obscenely high prices, and wait for NV to launch future generations at sensible prices, generations that can really leverage this awesome (but ultimately infantile) technology. Personally (and all these things really are personal, we all have our reasons and what we're willing to pay) the 2080 is in this weird limbo, not priced right for it's performance, but lacking the grunt to really leverage these demanding new technologies.

Just my tuppence.

Soldato
Well they have 20+ games lined up so not long I'd imagine.

Shouldn't be that hard for developers to add support to some older games, but that's not the point; there is nothing that taxing out right now.

Games being released in future months are more of a concern than what's out right now.

But, that's exact reason the 2080 isn't worth it over the 1080ti to some people. Why pay money for a tech that isn't useable right now? Those 25 games, when are they all due for release? Some aren't coming out until the end of next year. The fact that they couldn't have a couple of games ready to use DLSS on launch is a bit telling isn't it? If it was easy to do why didn't they have a game or two ready?

But, even if it is easy for developers to add support for DLSS in older games, why would they want to? The number of people with Turing cards are going to be a tiny fraction of the market. I don't think I will be expecting too many developers to bother at all with older games.

Going forward, well, it's the same thing, if the game doesn't use DLSS it's not going to be any better on the 2080 than the 1080ti.

It's buy a 1080ti now, save £130 and put that money towards a 7nm card. Or spend the £130 and get the 2080 for a handful of games and some unknown promise in the future.

Soldato
The MSI at £620 is tempting..

Doesn't it just, I just loathe that cooler. Just a personal taste thing though, I hear it's very good. I nearly picked up a different card at the same price elsewhere, but I prefer to buy from OCUK, and it's a very big cooler.

But, that's exact reason the 2080 isn't worth it over the 1080ti to some people. Why pay money for a tech that isn't useable right now? Those 25 games, when are they all due for release? Some aren't coming out until the end of next year. The fact that they couldn't have a couple of games ready to use DLSS on launch is a bit telling isn't it? If it was easy to do why didn't they have a game or two ready?

Couldn't agree more. DLSS in the future is exciting, DLSS in the coming months holds no interest whatsoever for me.

Well they have 20+ games lined up so not long I'd imagine.

Games being released in future months are more of a concern than what's out right now.

I only really think that the biggest of the big names will get DLSS retrospectively, and from what I hear the 20 or so titles might only get one or the other, not both. 20 games doesn't sound like a lot, either. It could be a year or more before wider development happens.

This is where my view probably deviates from the norm. The only time I play new releases is if I want to get in on the multiplayer, or if it's bought as a present for me. I have a lot of older games (2+ years?) that I'm yet to play. I could probably not buy another game and entertain myself for at least a couple of years before I ran out of bigger titles. I only really pick up a new game if it's on sale, or I'm really excited about it.

I suppose that makes the choice of the 1080ti an easier choice for me, I'm not desperate to play the latest titles. In fact, most of my favourites aren't all that recent. Prey would definitely be an exception and Dying Light. But even they're not exactly brand new.

OcUK Staff
Doesn't it just, I just loathe that cooler. Just a personal taste thing though, I hear it's very good. I nearly picked up a different card at the same price elsewhere, but I prefer to buy from OCUK, and it's a very big cooler.

I only really think that the biggest of the big names will get DLSS retrospectively, and from what I hear the 20 or so titles might only get one or the other, not both. 20 games doesn't sound like a lot, either. It could be a year or more before wider development happens.

This is where my view probably deviates from the norm. The only time I play new releases is if I want to get in on the multiplayer, or if it's bought as a present for me. I have a lot of older games (2+ years?) that I'm yet to play. I could probably not buy another game and entertain myself for at least a couple of years before I ran out of bigger titles. I only really pick up a new game if it's on sale, or I'm really excited about it.

I suppose that makes the choice of the 1080ti an easier choice for me, I'm not desperate to play the latest titles. In fact, most of my favourites aren't all that recent. Prey would definitely be an exception and Dying Light. But even they're not exactly brand new.

We also have Aorus at £619.99, those are due Monday. :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

But, even if it is easy for developers to add support for DLSS in older games, why would they want to? The number of people with Turing cards are going to be a tiny fraction of the market. I don't think I will be expecting too many developers to bother at all with older games.

Going forward, well, it's the same thing, if the game doesn't use DLSS it's not going to be any better on the 2080 than the 1080ti.

It's buy a 1080ti now, save £130 and put that money towards a 7nm card. Or spend the £130 and get the 2080 for a handful of games and some unknown promise in the future.
Pretty much. Though a lot of people will happily pay that premium just to have the newer shiny card and tech today.

Soldato
Pretty much. Though a lot of people will happily pay that premium just to have the newer shiny card and tech today.
Yep, why not be future ready for starting at £130 more than the current cheapest 1080 Ti.
Some of the current games already shows the potential. At worse you're going to get a newer GPU that's as good as the 1080 Ti (if you buy the 2080)

Each to their own tho,. There's no right or wrong answer I suppose but to me it hardly makes sense buying older tech unless simply on a budget.

If the new cards do shine as new games arrive (RT, DX12, Vulkan etc) then the old 10 series used prices will be hit hard too..

Last edited:
Soldato
We also have Aorus at £619.99, those are due Monday. :)

Thanks for letting me know mate, I think I understand why, and the fact that you’re always trying to give us the best deal around is really appreciated. I can’t think of another company that treats its customers like you do.

Unfortunately, I happen to have looked at it recently and I think the Aorus is a little too big for my current case.

I’m buying a Meshify C next month; I could fit my H100 v2 radiator in the roof, and then I think the Aorus will have room. But I’d have to check clearance when I own it. That’s why the SC2 is my preferred card, I know it’ll fit either way, and it’s a decent cooler.

I’d go for the FTW3 Hybrid, but I don’t see that being under £700 any time soon :p

Soldato
Soldato
Surprised all these people jumping on the 1080 Ti cards now didn't buy them like over a year ago when they was £649.99 - one years extra use for between £20-£50 lol.

They were probably hoping for what Nvidia wanted to produce.

The RTX 20 Series should have be on the 10nm process, the chip would be the same performance as the current ones, but a bit cheaper as they would have been smaller chips.
But the 10nm process didn't work out, so we have this 12nm process which is optimization of the 16nm process.

If the 10nm process had worked out, the price might have been a little better, maybe the 2080 the same price as the 1080ti, and the 2080ti under £1000.

Soldato
They were probably hoping for what Nvidia wanted to produce.

The RTX 20 Series should have be on the 10nm process, the chip would be the same performance as the current ones, but a bit cheaper as they would have been smaller chips.
But the 10nm process didn't work out, so we have this 12nm process which is optimization of the 16nm process.

If the 10nm process had worked out, the price might have been a little better, maybe the 2080 the same price as the 1080ti, and the 2080ti under £1000.
To be fair, I watched a YouTube video by Bitwit earlier, he pulled up a graph with the price per dollar of cards at current pricing. I was surprised to see even the Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ which he mentions in the video is more or less the same value as at OcUK, it shows better value per dollar than the new cards, as well as the 1080 Ti.

eMpbPfk.jpg.png

Soldato
Surprised all these people jumping on the 1080 Ti cards now didn't buy them like nearly a year ago when they was £649.99 - one years extra use for between £20-£50 lol.

All of a sudden they seem a bargain? Whatever happens Nvidia wins, because people have fallen into the grand scheme of things lol.

See >> https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/black-friday-nvidia-gtx-1080ti-monitor-deals.18800994/

Exactly. This is what pushes me towards the 2080. I dont feel like buying a 1 year old card for basically its standard price from last year.

Soldato
To be fair. I watched a YouTube video by Bitwit earlier, he pulled up a graph with the price per dollar of cards at current pricing, even the Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro which is more or less the same value as at OcUK shows better value per dollar than the new cards, as well as the 1080 Ti.

That my point, the cards are expensive because they had to use the 12nm process which required them to us very large chips. The 2080ti uses the largest consumer chip they have every made.

GTX 1070/80 - 314mm (16nm)
GTX 1080ti - 471mm (16nm)

RX Vega 56/64 - 486mm (14 nm)

GTX 2070 - 445mm (12nm)
GTX 2080 - 545mm (12nm)
GTX 2080ti - 754mm (12nm)

Also you will notice that all over the new cards are different chips, the lower cards are not using failed chips of the top cards.
If 10nm had worked out the price would be a bit lower because the smaller chips would have better yields. (probably).

Soldato
Exactly. This is what pushes me towards the 2080. I dont feel like buying a 1 year old card for basically its standard price from last year.
Must admit I'm growing more tempted by the 2080. As a light gamer I'm a little reluctant to buy the 2080 Ti atm (that I initially pre-ordered) and was tempted a little at first by the 1080 Ti (at £599 but reckon that's too high for me) but think the 2080 has a bit of both words. As good as the 1080 Ti but with future potential to be a decent amount faster in future games and of course 2.5 years extra R&D and RTX to try out which no doubt will be much better in future GPU generations.
I keep reminding myself that a 1070 Ti is good enough for now :p.

Back
Top Bottom