• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Silly to buy a 1080ti now??

Associate
Again, by the time that rolls out in any significant way we will be onto the next!

I really do feel if you’re buying this generation of early RTX cards you’re just funding Nvidia’s R&D costs (the massive price tag is the give away), but by the time any of these features are mainstream said cards will be old hat.

Think about this, you're handing over £800 - £1200 for cards and then hoping for promised features to arrive at some point, and then kidding yourself that's somehow acceptable.

The £900 I had put aside for a 2080ti (which turned out to not be nearly enough) is going back into my ISA.

Well I’m coming from a 1060 laptop and going to a 2080Ti, so I’m happy!

Soldato
You hope they will.. by the way im not denying there's always something better around the corner, of course there is! Im trying to highlight that for the insane price increase, gamers should have something tangible to show for it!

Also who on earth is going to run ray tracing enabled games on these cards? the 2080 will choke, and the 2080ti will just about manage it at 1080p, maybe 1440 at a push.

Since consoles dont use Ray tracing or RTX (yet), neither of these are going to be prioritys for developers looking to make big money from their games.

As for DLSS, its going to take quite some time for enough devs to get on board.
It still comes back to me about buying new now. 1080 Ti at £620 (cheapest here) vs £750 for a 2080. For £130 more, might as well get the future facing GPU if one doesn't care too much for the £130.
We're still yet to see RTX fully implemented in any games in their final form (it's was all WIP recently). Is it worth just having a taster of the future :) ? I suspect it will be workable but of course will be better done next gen, the one after that etc.

Last edited:
Associate
It still comes back to me about buying new now. 1080 Ti at £620 (cheapest here) vs £750 for a 2080. For £130 more, might as well get the future facing GPU if one doesn't care too much for the £130.
We're still yet to see RTX fully implemented. Is it worth just having a taster of the future :) ?

Yeah its not a bad idea getting the 2080 over the 1080ti if you want, but its still a rip-off.

Associate
two whole games, wow!

AAA games. The card has only just come out for crying out loud. Name an upcoming AAA game and I bet they will implement it. I’m guessing CYberpunk will (devs had major Nvidia based stuff in W3). Metro will. Jeez what do you expect all games ever made including pong to implement RTX features?

Associate
AAA games. The card has only just come out for crying out loud. Name an upcoming AAA game and I bet they will implement it. I’m guessing CYberpunk will (devs had major Nvidia based stuff in W3). Metro will. Jeez what do you expect all games ever made including pong to implement RTX features?

I think you're clutching at anything to make these cards seem like good value.

Associate
I think you're clutching at anything to make these cards seem like good value.

I don’t think they are good value though. I think they are heavily overpriced and Nvidia should be ashamed. But what you’re trying to do is make out the lack of features are the blame. That’s not true... without innovation you can’t progress. The innovation is the ONE thing Nvidia got right with this launch.

Plus I need the raw compute power without paying silly quadro prices.. only reason I bought the card tbh.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Just rub some vaseline in to your eyes, free DLSS ;)
Haha. Yeah, not sure if I like DLSS or not from what I have seen so far. Sure less jaggies, but also less detail by the looks of it. It certainly is no way near as good as people make it out to be. That said I am looking forward to see how it looks when people here get hold of it in games and do comparisons on 4K. Also it may eventually get a 2.0 with the 3080 Ti which will have more tensor cores hopefully so it does not need to run at 1440p and blur so much.

Associate
I don’t think they are value though. I think they are heavily overpriced and Nvidia should be ashamed. But what you’re trying to do is make out the lack of features are the blame. That’s not true... without innovation you can’t progress. The innovation is the ONE thing Nvidia got right with this launch.
Innovation is good, and these features WILL be good, but I dont think in a significant enough way untill 7nm cards arrive.

Put it another way, do you honestly think the 2070 and 2080 have enough grunt to run ray-tracing enabled triple A games at resolutions / frame rate that enthusiats want?

I still feel this gen is paying for Nvidia's R&D costs, and you wont change my mind on that.

Associate
Innovation is good, and these features WILL be good, but I dont think in a significant enough way untill 7nm cards arrive.

Put it another way, do you honestly think the 2070 and 2080 have enough grunt to run ray-tracing enabled triple A games at resolutions / frame rate that enthusiats want?

I still feel this gen is paying for Nvidia's R&D costs, and you wont change my mind on that.

No I don’t but I didn’t buy a 2070 or 2080...
Haha. Yeah, not sure if I like DLSS or not from what I have seen so far. Sure less jaggies, but also less detail by the looks of it. It certainly is no way near as good as people make it out to be. That said I am looking forward to see how it looks when people here get hold of it in games and do comparisons on 4K. Also it may eventually get a 2.0 with the 3080 Ti which will have more tensor cores hopefully so it does not need to run at 1440p and blur so much.

Sorry I didn’t know you knew more than DF! Where are your videos showing the differences? Oh wait...

Associate
RTX is a brilliant step forward. However the compute power required for it means the 20*0 cards perform more like 970s when it on. So you get better graphics but performance similar to 5 years ago.

Thus I would see the 20*0 range as an early adopter card for RTX.

Without RTX the 20*0 cards look fair enough as an upgrade to the 1080s.

The bottom line however is that graphics cards are just too expensive to go bleeding edge. I went for a 1070Ti in April because of this. I just couldn't justify the 1080Ti price.

Hopefully the 1080s will continue to come down in price. Spotted they are already 15-25% off on OCUK.

That said, I'm not sure it would be worth it for me to upgrade from a 1070Ti to a 1080Ti unless the 1080Ti drops to £400 or less by April/May next year.

The worry with RTX is that it needs significantly more power for it to be 60FPS @ 1440p and even more to be 100FPS at 4k which is where a lot of the market wants to be. With the last gen of cards being the tip of the market for what, 4 years? It could be 2022 before we see a better RTX card and even then, a single generation upgrade of that would not be enough. So 2026 then.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Sorry I didn’t know you knew more than DF! Where are your videos showing the differences? Oh wait...
I have a set of eyes mate, I trust them over what other people say. Never blindly trust what anyone says without running your own analysis, no matter who they are imo.

Jensen is a very successful billionaire who says “the more you buy, the more you save”, should I believe that also? Oh wait...

Associate
RTX is a brilliant step forward. However the compute power required for it means the 20*0 cards perform more like 970s when it on. So you get better graphics but performance similar to 5 years ago.

Thus I would see the 20*0 range as an early adopter card for RTX.

Without RTX the 20*0 cards look fair enough as an upgrade to the 1080s.

The bottom line however is that graphics cards are just too expensive to go bleeding edge. I went for a 1070Ti in April because of this. I just couldn't justify the 1080Ti price.

Hopefully the 1080s will continue to come down in price. Spotted they are already 15-25% off on OCUK.

That said, I'm not sure it would be worth it for me to upgrade from a 1070Ti to a 1080Ti unless the 1080Ti drops to £400 or less by April/May next year.

The worry with RTX is that it needs significantly more power for it to be 60FPS @ 1440p and even more to be 100FPS at 4k which is where a lot of the market wants to be. With the last gen of cards being the tip of the market for what, 4 years? It could be 2022 before we see a better RTX card and even then, a single generation upgrade of that would not be enough. So 2026 then.
At last, a level headed take on things!

Soldato
At last, a level headed take on things!

Indeed.

Though I suspect anyone waiting for a £400 1080 ti will be disappointed. As Gibbo has already stated that supplies of said cards are already drying up. To the point that certain models have already sold out ( EG. MSI 1080 ti extreme). And I have no reason to disbelieve him.

I still think the 1080 ti makes sense for some (EG. Me) who are coming fom 1080p/60hz to 1440p/144hz and are looking for a decent boost in performance, but have a limited budget. Could hold on I suppose and see if prices soften on the RTX cards... But they could just as easily go up in price.

My biggest concern with the latest gen cards. Is that if people are willing to pay these hugely inflated prices... Then it some what sets a presedent and what does that hold for the following generations of graphics cards? Are we to see mid range cards starting at £1k? Time will tell I suppose.

Life...got to laugh at times.

Associate
Indeed.

Though I suspect anyone waiting for a £400 1080 ti will be disappointed. As Gibbo has already stated that supplies of said cards are already drying up. To the point that certain models have already sold out ( EG. MSI 1080 ti extreme). And I have no reason to disbelieve him.

I still think the 1080 ti makes sense for some (EG. Me) who are coming fom 1080p/60hz to 1440p/144hz and are looking for a decent boost in performance, but have a limited budget. Could hold on I suppose and see if prices soften on the RTX cards... But they could just as easily go up in price.

My biggest concern with the latest gen cards. Is that if people are willing to pay these hugely inflated prices... Then it some what sets a presedent and what does that hold for the following generations of graphics cards? Are we to see mid range cards starting at £1k? Time will tell I suppose.

Life...got to laugh at times.

At least a few people enjoy the price hike, at least one member (who'm I shall not name) see's owning 2 x 2080Ti's as a symbol of his (and I quote) "Intelligence and intellect" :p

Personally I found it more intelligent to put my money back in my ISA for another year.

Soldato
Yeah its not a bad idea getting the 2080 over the 1080ti if you want, but its still a rip-off.
That's the topic here really, "Should I buy a 1080 Ti now?" . My personal answer to that is "no", get a 2080 (for reasons already mentioned). The 1080 Ti is also too high of a price IMO. We're talking about RTX etc in future being good and DLSS, and stating the 1080 Ti good, but as a new buyer, what should one buy?
I think quite a few comments are from those already with a 1080 Ti, also meaning they're a little biased :p. Those that own a 1080 Ti of course will not really want a 2080 at this point and the real decent upgrade would be a 2080 Ti hence many for now will deem an upgrade not worth it due to the cost of that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom