• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Silly to buy a 1080ti now??

Associate
I have a set of eyes mate, I trust them over what other people say. Never blindly trust what anyone says without running your own analysis, no matter who they are imo.

Jensen is a very successful billionaire who says “the more you buy, the more you save”, should I believe that also? Oh wait...

But you can’t run an analysis off a heavily compressed file online...

Suspended
Haha. Yeah, not sure if I like DLSS or not from what I have seen so far. Sure less jaggies, but also less detail by the looks of it. It certainly is no way near as good as people make it out to be. That said I am looking forward to see how it looks when people here get hold of it in games and do comparisons on 4K. Also it may eventually get a 2.0 with the 3080 Ti which will have more tensor cores hopefully so it does not need to run at 1440p and blur so much.

Consoles get ripped to shreds for upscaling, that's essentially what it is but it's got the NV spin so it's gonna be good.

I don't seriously think >90% RTX users haven't already convinced themselves it's fantaboulous before they've even used it as it's all part of the belief from taking the blind leap.:p

Not saying it's pointless but it's clearly been added because of the RT hit so upscale it to make you feel better with FPS on your purchase justification.

Should read some Mantle threads and I gaurantee you'll wet yourself with the flip flopping.:D

Associate
Everyone is Bias, those who own 1080ti's and see little value, and those who stumped up anything *up to* £1200 and want to justify their purchase to themselves.

There is no justifying. Simple fact is I needed the fastest and the fastest so happens to be the most expensive. The card is a rip off no doubt, but don’t have a melt down because some people can afford it and you can’t...

Associate
The card is a rip off no doubt, but don’t have a melt down because some people can afford it and you can’t...
I can afford a 2080ti (a few if you want to get personal), I was sat there with the money in my current account ready on launch day, but I put it back in my ISA the following day.

The very fact you needed to make it personal tells me you are highly emotionally invested in your purchase!

Soldato
There is no justifying. Simple fact is I needed the fastest and the fastest so happens to be the most expensive. The card is a rip off no doubt, but don’t have a melt down because some people can afford it and you can’t...

The biggest problem I have with the price is the value of these card is likely to be decimated when the 7nm cards appear. If that's only a year it's not good value for money.

If your not gaming on a native 1080P monitor the Ray Tracing option isn't worth having (unless that demo was an unrealistic usage of it), but around 25% of the price you paying is for Ray Tracing.
How many people looking a spending £600 - £1500 on a GPU use a 1080P monitor? :)

If the ray tracing worked at 60 fps at 2560 x 1440 I would be considering it, that's the standard the 7nm cards need to meet.

Also the RTX 20 series is bad at crypto mining. :p (At the moment anyway)

Suspended

Get over yourself, there is no need, it's want.

XxqOhHO.png

People refusing to pay isn't completely down to 'can't afford it', you should be thanking them as maybe the next Founders Ti won't be £1700+ with vaporware Ti's starting at £1600+!

Bottom line, they aint selling, a UK competitor has sold for example 4 Amp 2080's and 1 Palit since launch-they are to expensive, whereas they have historically sold out in under 15 minutes.

You should go and enjoy your purchase instead of getting angry at people talking about performance to cost ratio.

Associate
People refusing to pay isn't completely down to 'can't afford it', you should be thanking them as maybe the next Founders Ti won't be £1700+ with vaporware Ti's starting at £1600+!

Bottom line, they aint selling, a UK competitor has sold for example 4 Amp 2080's and 1 Palit since launch they are to expensive, you should go and enjoy your purchase instead of getting angry at people talking about performance to cost ratio.

Brilliant post ^

As if he know's my financials... LOL

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
But you can’t run an analysis off a heavily compressed file online...
So the DLSS images shown were heavily compressed but the TAA one's were not is what you are saying?

Also, you are referring to a video, the images on the web are not so heavily compressed that one could not make any judgment at all. Besides, if you go back and read my post, you can see I said "That said I am looking forward to see how it looks when people here get hold of it in games and do comparisons on 4K".

You make it sound like I am saying it is completely trash or something? The jury is still out mate, but no matter what anyone says, from what I have seen it does not deserve the praise it is getting in it's current form. I am happy it is here however as it will likely only get better in the future with more tensor cores :)

You should go and enjoy your purchase instead of getting angry at people talking about performance to cost ratio.
Could not have said it better myself. Why does our opinions matter so much anyway?

End of the day my stand on this is the 2080 Ti is a beast of a card and I would love one. But for my own personal reasons I cannot justify buying it at that price. Rather wait another year and put the money into a 3080 Ti which will be the real upgrade over a 1080Ti and last a lot longer being on 7nm.

Associate

XxqOhHO.png

Bottom line, they aint selling, a UK competitor has sold for example 4 Amp 2080's and 1 Palit since launch-they are to expensive, whereas they have historically sold out in under 15 minutes.

Love that Chart.

Soldato
Was going to get 2080FE but picking up a used 1080Ti with warranty for £425 the £325 saving somehow has swung me.

Should last me until the next node shrink cards when DLSS and RTX are a bit more mature or whatever tech AMD can bring to the table.

Permabanned
Was going to get 2080FE but picking up a used 1080Ti with warranty for £425 the £325 saving somehow has swung me.

Should last me until the next node shrink cards when DLSS and RTX are a bit more mature or whatever tech AMD can bring to the table.

I think taking a gamble on ebay might be a good bet this time round.

Quite a few GTX1080Ti for £350ish currently... tempting.

Caporegime

XxqOhHO.png

That chart really puts it into perspective.

There were a lot of misguided complaints about the 10XX series prices but really they were mostly in line with expectation/inflation. The whole founders nonsense is a load of **** though that need to stop.

As that graph shows, Nvidia have gone completely silly this time around. I hope they hardly sell any.

(Was the 8800GTX really over $1000 even after adjusting for inflation - i have googled it and everywhere seems to say it was $599 on release. Is that supposed to be the 8800 ultra, as that was $829 so that would make sense?)

Last edited:
Associate
For £130 more, might as well get the future facing GPU if one doesn't care too much for the £130.

You've illustrated exactly how it's priced to achieve just that ... "oh it's only £xxx more, I might as well get the newer card with the additional features". They can take that extra money because people are easily encouraged to pay more just like that.

Associate

XxqOhHO.png

No I need it for my business...

Associate
I find it amusing that I get bombarded for making a comment about price (which I agree with) and not needing it (like you know what I’m using the card for), yet I make a comment about someone not being able to afford one to make a point and the irony is the comeback is “you don’t know my financials”. Yup just like you don’t know what I need and why.

Oddly I agree with price is too high. Waaaay too high, but the endless whining here is getting repetitive.

Back
Top Bottom