This Business and Moment...

Soldato
You're many decades too late to claim that word. :p

Ah bugger, I didn't realise it was the same word as someone being interviewed (I knew that word phonetically, and its meaning, just not spelt out that way).

What I meant was, it was more like an interview than I was expecting, more interview-esque, if you will :p

Caporegime
True enough, I wouldn't ask for above the set amount in the add anyway

You could perhaps quite justifiably do so if you're already paid an amount quite close to it, obviously you perhaps can't exceed it too much. It is also useful feedback for the employer if they've published the range and have trouble getting responses from the sort of candidates they'd want - they might need to reassess it.

if you were a kitchen utensil, what would you be?

That's the bit where the interviewers have copied an interview question from the internet in order to, ironically, try to test your creativity.

Hope you get an offer :)

Soldato
Something I have been thinking about. For all you IT consultants out there.

How did you get into consultancy, did it just happen or something you worked towards becoming?

Soldato
OP
Brain dump time again... mainly to get a bit of head sanity, so ignore if you like :D

We're in the middle of development of our SaveNode app at the moment, I did a lot of work on the UI and all documentation to show all user stories and backend services etc. You can see all the UI preview stuff on our youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHPxqcn5RP8lJ0xeNKWGtvw?view_as=subscriber
I really like it, it's looking amazingly good. Just need to keep pushing the guys delivering it now and manage our community. Price has dropped slightly on the SNO token, but supply has increased so that's to be expected. We have over 1800 people in the discord server and a full team working on it.

Goat Cash got listed on it's first exchange today! https://goat.cash for those who don't know it :D we have an awesome roadmap, too. Our next game release is coming in a couple of weeks which should pump some volume in and then a lot more planned there. We have also got confirmation of partnering with World Vision https://www.worldvision.org/ which is HUGE! We are going to be delivering real goats to those in need in goat drops, which is so cool. They've asked if we want to go into the field and deliver the goats ourselves at some point which is amazing. Still early on the exchange, need volume, so will concentrate on the games to bring that in.

VolAir main sale starts tomorrow but hell we're not ready. We got let down by a company doing the app work and took our money, so that's nice. I spoke with a new person today though and he reckons he can do the iOS app easily. Starting this weekend and it'll look like this:

We've signed all docs with our plane partner, so as soon as it's done I can get pushing it to people. Our middle east advisor is saying our competitor Jet Smarter has messed up there by stopping charging fees monthly/ annually as a lot of people already had done so, so they're being sued all over the place. We can slot in there nicely. That's the aim.
Also starting a big bounty push in the morning to drive some more people to the crowd sale, we need it. Mainly all for marketing too! Get ourselves and the app into the hands of users.Next challenge anyway.

Things pretty quiet on the other projects, people not doing as they should, I haven't the time to kick them. I will soon though, just have this big push on a few things.
I have a meeting with a uni tonight about using emotuit analytics at 11pm my time, so will see what comes of that.

</BRAIN DUMPED>

Caporegime
So, advice pleaaaaase

Had an interview today,seemed to go well and the interviewer said I was one of the better applicants. IT role.

My issue is,it's more of the same, there's not much if any room for organisational progression, but it is more money, about 4kish.

Basically, I'm not sure what I want to do work wise and I applied for this randomly. I've also been offered an interview elsewhere in a completely new field (insurance), the money is less but there's more progression in the company, it's not remotely IT, at all, in fact its claims handling.

No idea what to do with myself :/

I may find out Friday what goes on with the interview today, and I have a phone interview at the insurance place later in the week

Help?

Soldato
You could perhaps quite justifiably do so if you're already paid an amount quite close to it, obviously you perhaps can't exceed it too much. It is also useful feedback for the employer if they've published the range and have trouble getting responses from the sort of candidates they'd want - they might need to reassess it.

That's the bit where the interviewers have copied an interview question from the internet in order to, ironically, try to test your creativity.

Hope you get an offer :)

Ha, I hadn't even thought of that! The irony was lost on me, the question did blindside me somewhat. Almost did a double take.

Definitely don't want to be a spoon, you'd be drow ed almost daily in tea or coffee,left to be stained on the side :(

I went with meat cleaver. They probably think I'm a psychopath...

The interviewer remarked on the amount of men choosing knives and women choosing spoons, mind you. I guess it makes sense.

Soldato
So, advice pleaaaaase

Had an interview today,seemed to go well and the interviewer said I was one of the better applicants. IT role.

My issue is,it's more of the same, there's not much if any room for organisational progression, but it is more money, about 4kish.

Basically, I'm not sure what I want to do work wise and I applied for this randomly. I've also been offered an interview elsewhere in a completely new field (insurance), the money is less but there's more progression in the company, it's not remotely IT, at all, in fact its claims handling.

No idea what to do with myself :/

I may find out Friday what goes on with the interview today, and I have a phone interview at the insurance place later in the week

Help?

There will be other, more eloquent responses to this but my initial thoughts are that money, despite not being everything, is a key factor.

For some £4k is quite a gap, for others it's hardly anything, you have to understand for yourself what it represents. I'll be honest, when I was in my early 20's, I'd have jumped anywhere (within reason) for £4k.

Similarly, and this is purely of my own opinion, claim handling sounds like a massive headache. But honestly I have no idea.

Caporegime
There will be other, more eloquent responses to this but my initial thoughts are that money, despite not being everything, is a key factor.

For some £4k is quite a gap, for others it's hardly anything, you have to understand for yourself what it represents. I'll be honest, when I was in my early 20's, I'd have jumped anywhere (within reason) for £4k.

Similarly, and this is purely of my own opinion, claim handling sounds like a massive headache. But honestly I have no idea.

Yeah, I just don't know, friend has been there for years, they love it and have made a career out of it, I just find myself jumping from IT job to IT job since the 08 crash and not really getting anywhere.

In my early 20's, and this would put me closer to 28k, so the extra would help and make it seem like we are less strapped for cash every month.

:/

I'd do more of the same for 4k more, as long as it felt like a culturally good fit for me and there were no trade offs like a worse commute etc.

Yeah, that's what I'm partly thinking, it's a different job sector, but it'll be the same work,slightly shorter commute miles wise, but not a lot.

Edit: well, it's 10 miles as opposed to 20

Caporegime
Yeah, I just don't know, friend has been there for years, they love it and have made a career out of it, I just find myself jumping from IT job to IT job since the 08 crash and not really getting anywhere.

In my early 20's, and this would put me closer to 28k, so the extra would help and make it seem like we are less strapped for cash every month.

I guess if you're earning in the low 20s and it is the same role and a shorter commute then it could well be worth the move.

(sorry to go off topic but the 08 crash was 10 years ago now - how are you in your early 20s - have you been working in IT since you were in your early teens or something?)

Man of Honour
Just been offered a remote contract via my site to work as and when I can in the evenings and weekends. I'm happy to do it but he's asked me to give an hourly rate I want to work for.

Do I basically give him my hourly rate (just by doing my day rate/7.5) that I'm working for in my current main contract? I don't want to price myself out of it but I also don't want to sell myself short

It's worth mentioning that while I'm keen to do it, I'm not going to be too upset if they say no as it means not losing my evenings for the next couple of months

Last edited:
Associate
Just been offered a remote contract via my site to work as and when I can in the evenings and weekends. I'm happy to do it but he's asked me to give an hourly rate I want to work for.

Do I basically give him my hourly rate (just by doing my day rate/7.5) that I'm working for in my current main contract? I don't want to price myself out of it but I also don't want to tell myself short

It's worth mentioning that while I'm keen to do it, I'm not going to be too upset if they say no as it means not losing my evenings for the next couple of months

Charge a higher premium due to it being worked on in your free time, like you said you wouldn't be upset as you would be losing your free time anyway so why not get paid a higher rate where you feel excited to do the work in the first place.

Calculate what your free time is worth :)

Man of Honour
I definitely think I'll get told no if I do that :p when I mentioned my day rate he was a bit shocked so I think if I was charging him near £200 for 2 hours in an evening, he'd probably laugh :p

Still, I think you guys are right. It is effectively overtime and they know it's not my main job, so I will give it a go. Can only say no, I'll be laughing if they don't

Caporegime
I guess if you're earning in the low 20s and it is the same role and a shorter commute then it could well be worth the move.

(sorry to go off topic but the 08 crash was 10 years ago now - how are you in your early 20s - have you been working in IT since you were in your early teens or something?)

30's, sorry

Soldato
30's, sorry
Are you trying to significantly increase salary? (beyond next +4k step?) what will accelerate salary quickest, new role or current one?

Can you take the new role and as a side project develop IT skills? (means more money +in future developing skills /looking elsewhere?)

I have no idea about IT field so just floating ideas.

Back
Top Bottom