This Business and Moment...

Caporegime
Are you trying to significantly increase salary? (beyond next +4k step?) what will accelerate salary quickest, new role or current one?

Can you take the new role and as a side project develop IT skills? (means more money +in future developing skills /looking elsewhere?)

I have no idea about IT field so just floating ideas.

Never really know .what I want to do job wise, so seeing a similar job, closer to home and more money seemed like a good idea, as I'm poor at the moment, money is tight whilst the wife builds up her own business.

I don't believe my current role is going to go anywhere now salary wise other than standard inflation after having staff redundancies and pay scale chats taking place (what place doesn't have pay scales / brackets?) But there isn't any more room in the new place to progress job wise other than taking over the managers role should they quit.

Always room/time to do other side work, I draw in my personal time atm and would welcome commissions from that but haven't had any yet. IT wise I can always train up but I struggle knowing what to sink money into as I have no money as it is.

I have been made aware of another role elsewhere which is interesting, but I'm unaware of the salary at the moment untill the end of the week

Man of Honour
Charge a higher premium due to it being worked on in your free time, like you said you wouldn't be upset as you would be losing your free time anyway so why not get paid a higher rate where you feel excited to do the work in the first place.

Calculate what your free time is worth :)

Technically it's overtime so yes I'd be charging maybe 1.5 times whatever your hourly rate works out as?

I charge 1.5-2x my daily rate out of hours. It's my time.

Well, I quoted 1.5x my normal rate, and he basically said "Yeah....we'll leave it there"

Shortest conversation I've ever had LOL. Not prepared to go back and make myself look weak, oh well. At least I'm not losing my free time :p

Caporegime
Well, I quoted 1.5x my normal rate, and he basically said "Yeah....we'll leave it there"

Shortest conversation I've ever had LOL. Not prepared to go back and make myself look weak, oh well. At least I'm not losing my free time :p

:D :D

What was he expecting, you to say you'd just do it out of the goodness of your heart.

Caporegime

I know you charge a fair whack anyway,but that's contracting I presumed.

Is this a new client or your current one?

Associate

Free time is king :) I have taken the step into a normal job from running my own thing as I found I wasn't working all the time and not for the return I wanted.

Looking forward to a day job and not worry in the evenings/weekends.

Man of Honour
I know you charge a fair whack anyway,but that's contracting I presumed.

Is this a new client or your current one?

It was a new client, they wanted me to do some work for them on the side, working in the evenings and weekends if required. So I'd still have my main job but I'd have done this around that

Caporegime
It was a new client, they wanted me to do some work for them on the side, working in the evenings and weekends if required. So I'd still have my main job but I'd have done this around that

Aye, noticed it was out of hours of sorts.

I just as it was a new client you don't really have out of hours? Unless you stipulate your normal rate is between X and y times.

Anyway, doesn't matter now :D Either way, I can see why people would charge more for evening work. No different than day/night rates for trades people I guess.

Soldato
OP
Meeting with Arizona State Uni went really well, they have some final little tests and then want to push my emotuit engagement analytics software into production in the fall term. Only taken 3 years to get this deal to this point... no biggy.

Caporegime
Meeting with Arizona State Uni went really well, they have some final little tests and then want to push my emotuit engagement analytics software into production in the fall term. Only taken 3 years to get this deal to this point... no biggy.
Congratulations :) - I think I remember you mentioning that a while back now! Has it been 3 years already?!

Soldato
So I was supposed to hear back from the interview last Monday on Friday, and of course, Friday came and passed and I heard nothing.

Normally I'd write if off and put it to bed, but since I know someone there I'm inclined to drop her a message and see what's what.

Suggestions? Perhaps they need more time?

Caporegime
So I was supposed to hear back from the interview last Monday on Friday, and of course, Friday came and passed and I heard nothing.

Normally I'd write if off and put it to bed, but since I know someone there I'm inclined to drop her a message and see what's what.

Possibly more time, I was told similar for Friday, but I'm just waiting it out for the minute.

Caporegime

Quite possibly, if you've taken the time to go for an interview then a company ought to reply either way. Some perhaps don't but for those that do then, if you had no chance at the job I'd have already expected a "No" within the time frame - easy decision for them so no need to delay.

Reasons why they might delay (assuming they are a company that endeavours to get back to candidates):

They like you but there is something on their end that hasn't happened, i.e. the hiring manager wants to hire you but still needs it signing off from someone higher up (at one company I worked at we had a CEO who wanted to personally sign off all hires and that could easily cause a delay).

You're not their highest priority at the moment - perhaps the hiring manager has a load more pressing matters on his plate and will get back to you shortly.

There is another candidate they prefer (or indeed still need to interview), this one might suck a bit but if you're a reasonable candidate for the job but they want to offer it to someone else then they might delay rejecting you until they know for sure whether they've got their first choice. Obvs if they had no interest in you they would have no need to delay the rejection.

Of course they could also just be a naff company that doesn't get back to people.

I don't think there is any harm in chasing it up in a couple of days (especially given they've gone over the time they said they'd let you know by). If you were going via a recruiter then your recruiter would have probably chased it up on Friday.

Soldato
OP
It's pretty common for this to happen, I've had it a lot. As above, it's normally a combination of; can't get responses from all people in hiring process. Other stuff has come up. Feedback on other candidates has taken longer than they expected etc.
It's hugely frustrating though for a candidate.

Soldato
Possibly more time, I was told similar for Friday, but I'm just waiting it out for the minute.

Let us know if you hear anything!

Quite possibly, if you've taken the time to go for an interview then a company ought to reply either way. Some perhaps don't but for those that do then, if you had no chance at the job I'd have already expected a "No" within the time frame - easy decision for them so no need to delay.

Reasons why they might delay (assuming they are a company that endeavours to get back to candidates):

They like you but there is something on their end that hasn't happened, i.e. the hiring manager wants to hire you but still needs it signing off from someone higher up (at one company I worked at we had a CEO who wanted to personally sign off all hires and that could easily cause a delay).

You're not their highest priority at the moment - perhaps the hiring manager has a load more pressing matters on his plate and will get back to you shortly.

There is another candidate they prefer (or indeed still need to interview), this one might suck a bit but if you're a reasonable candidate for the job but they want to offer it to someone else then they might delay rejecting you until they know for sure whether they've got their first choice. Obvs if they had no interest in you they would have no need to delay the rejection.

Of course they could also just be a naff company that doesn't get back to people.

I don't think there is any harm in chasing it up in a couple of days (especially given they've gone over the time they said they'd let you know by). If you were going via a recruiter then your recruiter would have probably chased it up on Friday.

Thanks for your detailed response. I definitely agree, it's running the possibility of being any of those and I'll probably never find out.

I'll chase my acquaintance tomorrow evening and see if she knows anything. I don't want to make her feel awkward but I'd like to put my mind at ease and shelf it, as at least then I can move on.

It's pretty common for this to happen, I've had it a lot. As above, it's normally a combination of; can't get responses from all people in hiring process. Other stuff has come up. Feedback on other candidates has taken longer than they expected etc.
It's hugely frustrating though for a candidate.

Even if it's bad news I'd like to be told, you know? I'd rather a response so I can put it to bed and move onto the next thing, but as it stands I'm checking my e-mail regularly (and that's not like me at all), waiting for their answer.

Ah well, patience is a virtue and all that.

Soldato
Received a call this morning to confirm that I have not been successful on this occasion.

Quite a detailed conversation explaining that culturally I'm a good fit, I was just up against stronger opponents. The company is growing rapidly so there might be opportunity in the future - the usual, I know.

Onwards and upwards!

(Thanks for the guidance and chatting guys, really helps to bounce ideas here).

Commissario
Received a call this morning to confirm that I have not been successful on this occasion.

Quite a detailed conversation explaining that culturally I'm a good fit, I was just up against stronger opponents. The company is growing rapidly so there might be opportunity in the future - the usual, I know.

Onwards and upwards!

(Thanks for the guidance and chatting guys, really helps to bounce ideas here).
Ah that's bad luck, at least they gave you feedback. I had that for a previous role but in the end I actually was presented with an offer as the stronger candidate messed them around and took too long with the contract, so you never know it could still work out?!

Soldato
Ah that's bad luck, at least they gave you feedback. I had that for a previous role but in the end I actually was presented with an offer as the stronger candidate messed them around and took too long with the contract, so you never know it could still work out?!

Thanks Maccy!

I had the same exact same with another role around five years ago, but it took around three months to transpire. I think the new person had started and left quite quickly, so it definitely does happen.

Man of Honour
We've had people start and then provide unsatisfactory references, or start and then be unable to prove eligibility to work, or start and then be unable to produce evidence of the driving licence they need to do their job, or start and then come back with a Disclosure Scotland longer than the Bible so yep - definitely happens!

Back
Top Bottom