This Business and Moment...

Man of Honour
How's your German? :) I reckon it sounds like a good move, and the pay increase is pretty attractive, although not sure what the tax levels are in Austria?

My German is alright. I can understand 50-60% of the average German conversation, maybe 40-50 if we are talking strong Vienna dialect. Speaking I'm not so confident but I can express myself enough to get by.
I can go around a shop, restaurant menu, signs etc and know what most things mean.

Interestingly the job was posted in English (it's an international company, and an international role) and their website says that if the advert is in English then the expectation of the majority of the role and the recruitment process is also to be English.

The tax levels in Austria are a lot higher than here, although it is generally considered good value and a degree of healthcare is included. There is no council tax, and energy and water are significantly cheaper than the UK

Check out these tax breaks though, this is going to sting:

up to €11 000 - 0%
€11 000 – €18 000 - 25%
€18 000 – €31 000 - 35% (!!!!!)
€31 000 – €60 000 - 42%
€60 000 – €90 000 - 48%
€90 000 – €1 000 000 - 50%
over €1 000 000 - 55%

Soldato
Good Luck, im still aiming for Germany or Switzerland by the end of this year. Nothing so far apart from a few phone interviews.

I might look at Hong Kong or Dubai also.

Man of Honour
Good Luck, im still aiming for Germany or Switzerland by the end of this year. Nothing so far apart from a few phone interviews.

I might look at Hong Kong or Dubai also.
Hong Kong is tricky. Effectively the hiring company has to sponsor your visa, which is more admin than financial - but what they find more tricky to deal with is the fact that they must prove they were unable to fill the position with a local applicant and therefore offered it to a foreigner outside HK. Many companies I spoke to are plain unwilling to do this.

Soldato
Hong Kong is tricky. Effectively the hiring company has to sponsor your visa, which is more admin than financial - but what they find more tricky to deal with is the fact that they must prove they were unable to fill the position with a local applicant and therefore offered it to a foreigner outside HK. Many companies I spoke to are plain unwilling to do this.

I was reading about this too, kind of the same with Switzerland since their 2014 immigration vote but still I have calls from there about jobs I have applied for knowing I am living in the UK.

I am aiming for IT jobs which pays more for my skillset I have learnt over the past 2 years, currently earning 35K a year here in Birmingham. After the conversion I had with my boss in London last week, its definitely time for me to move on. 9 years was too long here.

Soldato
I have an interview with a company I'm very keen to work for in the coming days (I've been watching them for the last year or so and by sheer force of will and luck, I've landed a meeting), and they've told me that they're relaxed and casual in their approach to work life and interviews, and they "don't expect me to prep" for the interview.

It's more of a chat than anything else, and I get the impression going in wearing a suit goes against their ethos. But, I'm really keen to work for this company, and want to make the best impression (it's a financial role).

I don't want to insult them by going in with a suit after they've advised to come casually, but then I'm wondering whether or not it's a test (I'm guessing not).

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Any advice welcome :)

Caporegime
Suit.

Absolutely, suit.

I turned up ridiculously overdressed for one once, but ultimately, first impressions matter. And its better to show you REALLY care and want to give the best first impression by going overdressed, rather than looking like "too" casual. And even use it as an ice breaker "i know you said you take the casual approach, but I wanted to to put the extra in for our first meet"

annnd boom. Done.

Soldato
OP
I've been doing some updates on the UI side of things for savenode, so planned out all user stories and then made sure the UI matched all those stories. You can see below all I wanted to cover.

I mean, it shows OAUTH login, but doesn't properly show the working etc. but just so it's easier to piece together from a dev point of view. Now this is getting started while I design the backend admin system; which services and APIs it we need and then how it communicates with the end user app. But we're all go anyway... been a busy few weeks on this!

At the same time we're about to release a dapp for Goat Cash (listing on exchange next tues) but it's a really addictive little 8 bit game where you bet on which goat is going to win :D

Now trying to pull it all together and push everything else I have on my plate at the same time that I've neglected. :p

How is everyone?

Caporegime
I have an interview with a company I'm very keen to work for in the coming days (I've been watching them for the last year or so and by sheer force of will and luck, I've landed a meeting), and they've told me that they're relaxed and casual in their approach to work life and interviews, and they "don't expect me to prep" for the interview.

It's more of a chat than anything else, and I get the impression going in wearing a suit goes against their ethos. But, I'm really keen to work for this company, and want to make the best impression (it's a financial role).

I don't want to insult them by going in with a suit after they've advised to come casually, but then I'm wondering whether or not it's a test (I'm guessing not).

I think it would be rather silly to turn up in a suit after they've specifically made the point of telling you about how causal the place is etc...

I mean I don't think it would be a huge deal, might highlight a bit of a lack of common sense perhaps, though obviously your interview performance itself is going to be a bit more important.

Caporegime
I think it would be rather silly to turn up in a suit after they've specifically made the point of telling you about how causal the place is etc...

I mean I don't think it would be a huge deal, might highlight a bit of a lack of common sense perhaps, though obviously your interview performance itself is going to be a bit more important.

Without speaking or reading what's actually been said,would you rather take the chance and risk potentially not getting a job because of it?

Commissario
Looking good @randomshenans, what sort of testing are you doing for each release?

I'm 3 weeks into my new role and enjoying it - good team and learning lots, and it's nice to be back in London! Shame I've turned 30 today though...

Back
Top Bottom