• Lavender Purple 128GB Dual Sim

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ocean Blue 512GB Dual Sim

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Midnight Black 512GB Dual Sim

Votes: 4 3.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
But surely it wouldn't be longer. Surely the alternative is to just not have the ears and slightly less screen? To add 3mm extra to the top of the phone would technically mean some empty space in the device. To fill that is basically a redesign I would think. Then they think 'lets add that little extra screen real estate' and we're back to the same place again. What I'm saying, they're not taking away screen, they're adding screen.

Soldato
But surely it wouldn't be longer. Surely the alternative is to just not have the ears and slightly less screen? To add 3mm extra to the top of the phone would technically mean some empty space in the device. To fill that is basically a redesign I would think. Then they think 'lets add that little extra screen real estate' and we're back to the same place again. What I'm saying, they're not taking away screen, they're adding screen.
It's all about screen real estate bragging rights though. If the physical shape of the screen is the same as its display image then that is definitely going to be more expensive to produce than a rectangular one. If they'd gone taller with no notch there'd be no empty space as it would've been designed that way from scratch. One thing is for sure. People either dislike or don't mind the notch, nobody actively likes it.

Soldato
Yes, my point being, it wouldn't be taller, it just wouldn't have the ears.

If we'd not seen what they've released with the notch, they'd designed it without, it would be the same height.

Soldato
Yes, my point being, it wouldn't be taller, it just wouldn't have the ears.

If we'd not seen what they've released with the notch, they'd designed it without, it would be the same height.
Screen size is measured diagonally, corner to corner. Remove the ears and your quoted screen size is smaller and, as panel size is one of the primary comparison factors, they're not going to do that. It's no coincidence that the note 9 runs a 6.4" and the XSmax runs 6.5". I wonder if anyone has calculated the actual screen area of both phones as the notch looks like it's more than 0.1 inches to me. My point being the point of the ears is to increase screen to body ratio so the better option would've been (in my opinion) to have a slightly taller no-notch design and I do wonder how many X/XS/XSmax owners would've preferred that.

Soldato
Yes, I get that, but your then just asking for two things, no notch and a taller phone. All I'm saying... repeatedly apparently, is if you can't just take the notch away, you can only take the ears away.

If you put a notch into the Note 9, it wouldn't make the phone shorter, you just get a bit more screen.

Soldato
If the note 9 had a notch it would be shorter as they'd fit the sensors that are above the screen into said notch. Why do you think the notch exists? It exists only to reduce the dimensions of the phone while retaining a display of "x" proportions.
Look at the problem in reverse. If the iPhone x had no notch and a panel size of 5.8" would its physical dimensions be the same as they currently are? No, because the stuff they put in the notch would need to be above the screen requiring a bigger handset.

Soldato
All I'm saying... repeatedly apparently, is if you can't just take the notch away, you can only take the ears away.
I'm unsure of your reasoning behind this. The manufacturer can specify whatever they want. Apple had their panel manufacturers produce notch free displays for years. When they chose to blaze the trail of the current fashion for minimal bezels they specified a notched display. I as a customer obviously cannot change it but Apple (et al) could if they wanted to. They wont though as thin bezels are a priority right now and all of the manufacturers are singing from the same song sheet on that one. All I'm saying is I personally would've preferred no notch and a slightly larger handset. Obviously I don't speak for everyone but mine isn't an isolated opinion either.

Soldato
I always though the notch ears where only for displaying the battery level, Signal levels, notifications etc

I never realise it also cut into the main screen display area when displaying things like videos, Games etc

Soldato
I always though the notch ears where only for displaying the battery level, Signal levels, notifications etc

I never realise it also cut into the main screen display area when displaying things like videos, Games etc
From what I've read, research was conducted and it was shown that the part of the screen that a notch would occupy isn't much of a miss to most users. Some phones have a feature to black out the ears, but then you effectively have a smaller screen.

Soldato
If the note 9 had a notch it would be shorter as they'd fit the sensors that are above the screen into said notch.

I think I give up with you. You don't get it, so I'm not even reading the rest. The ears are added, not the notch. To shorten the device it would all need redesigning as the internals would no longer fit. They add ears, they don't add the notch.

Soldato
I think I give up with you. You don't get it, so I'm not even reading the rest. The ears are added, not the notch. To shorten the device it would all need redesigning as the internals would no longer fit. They add ears, they don't add the notch.
That's what a forum is for. You have your opinion and I have mine.
Although to be pedantic they'd remove a notch, not add one ;)

Soldato
Can I throw in a curve ball? Anyone remember the LG V20? It had ''two" screens with the top strip being used for shortcuts and notifications etc. What if this idea was to be refined in some way. Phones could still have a notch but the the top 3 or 4mm of the phone would have a monochrome (almost AOD like) screen that would be reserved for maybe battery/time/notifications etc - basically all the things that are at the top of the screen currently and this would free up space on the actual screen. This also wouldn't impact full screen usage for videos etc.
Maybe I'm mad :p

Soldato
Surely the notch is added first so they have somewhere to put the front camera and the other bits in that notch area and then they design the screen around the notch..:confused:

Don't really matter if the notch area was designed first or if the screen was fitted first and then had the notch area cut out as it the exact same out come

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't believe so. Given those sensors and cameras are there already, the screen cannot go up where they are, so you're limited to a forehead already. What I believe they then do in design is extend up around them with the ears.

Soldato
I may have to buy a iPhone one day and try it...

I never owned an iPhone before as I was put off them big time due to having an ipod many years ago before the iPhone came out and it was tied to this crap called iTunes or something like that and I could not just drag or copy & paste files from & to It I had to use this nightmare iTunes software to transfer files..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP

I never owned an iPhone before as I was put off them big time due to having an ipod many years ago before the iPhone came out and it was tied to this crap called iTunes or something like that and I could not just drag or copy & paste files from & to It I had to use this nightmare iTunes software to transfer files..

Don't your have terrible buyers remorse :p

I just don't understand the notch its like putting a 20cm x 5cm strip of black gaffer tape on the left hand side of my TV ;)

Just give me the full screen !!

Soldato

Ha! Don't expect that to have changed! :p

Back
Top Bottom